Do you have to have PaaK or fob to lock the doors using the door pad?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I could have swore more than once I've locked and unlocked the. car with just the door keypad. Now I find neither lock icon on either front door will lock the door unless I have the fob with me. Am I losing my mind that this used to work?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You can use the keypad to lock or unlock the door. You cannot use the lock icon, to my knowledge, without the fob / PaaK. But I haven't played with it.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Why have a dedicated button on the door...

This however confirms every time I've walked away from the car with it running anyone could have taken it as it was never locked. Come to AZ, pick an MME and drive away, like a Tesla!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

This however confirms every time I've walked away from the car with it running anyone could have taken it as it was never locked. Come to AZ, pick an MME and drive away, like a Tesla!
You can’t shift out of Park without a fob or PaaK present.

For locking the door without a key, just press the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons simultaneously.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag

sci_goat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2023 Rte1 Grabber Blue
Country flag
My lock button has never been responsive. You have to wait about 20 seconds after getting after the car, then press it a few times to work. It's like there's a delay in it knowing that you're now on the outside.

My 5 year old Camry knows instantly, so this is #%!@. Also am I the only one experiencing the open button getting a lot less responsive in the last month?

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 - Limited Edition Iced White
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
Directly under the door numbers and above the push button to unlock is a hard to see lock icon. Hold your finger there for a second and all locks up. Fast and easy once you see it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

To lock the car door with just the keypad you press 7-8 and 9-0 at the same time. To lock the car door using the little lock icon you touch that but you need a PAAK or the fob in your possession (and in communication with the car). Or you can use the lock button on the inside car door after you open the door to get out, or you can use FordPass, or lock using the button on the fob or you can use the walkaway lock feature (if you set it up).

If you want to lock a key in the car you'll need to use the 7-8 and 9-0 key combination.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
To lock the car door with just the keypad you press 7-8 and 9-0 at the same time. To lock the car door using the little lock icon you touch that but you need a PAAK or the fob in your possession (and in communication with the car). Or you can use the lock button on the inside car door after you open the door to get out, or you can use FordPass, or lock using the button on the fob or you can use the walkaway lock feature (if you set it up).

If you want to lock a key in the car you'll need to use the 7-8 and 9-0 key combination.
My fingers are always fairly dry and I have better luck getting the little raised lock icon to work if I first lick my thumb before touching it. I've had to swipe the 7-8,9-0 numerous times to get the doors to lock, but just licking my thumb and pressing the lock icon seems to work the best for me. I do have 'walk-away' set, but I just want to make sure ;)

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ohh, someone thought that though.
It was introduced several years ago as an optional setting for law enforcement so they could leave their cars running but they couldn't be stolen while they were out of the vehicle with the fob in their pocket. It has now become pretty much the default setting so that people don't get their cars stolen while running into the convenience store or whatever while leaving the car running.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My fingers are always fairly dry and I have better luck getting the little raised lock icon to work if I first lick my thumb before touching it. I've had to swipe the 7-8,9-0 numerous times to get the doors to lock, but just licking my thumb and pressing the lock icon seems to work the best for me. I do have 'walk-away' set, but I just want to make sure ;)
Yeah, my door pad is sometimes slow to wake up when I use it, but otherwise works fine unless I’m trying to set a speed typing record.

Most of that post was for the benefit of the new folks on the forum — not you. You know that stuff, they don’t, and Lird knows when or how they’ll stumble across it. :)

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, my door pad is sometimes slow to wake up when I use it, but otherwise works fine unless I’m trying to set a speed typing record.

Most of that post was for the benefit of the new folks on the forum — not you. You know that stuff, they don’t, and Lird knows when or how they’ll stumble across it. :)
Well you're absolutely right. Somebody should actually make a YT video or something for new owners that would cover down on some of this stuff. We all know the dealers aren't going over it all, probably because they don't know or really care about "silly details" like that. 😏

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I could have swore more than once I've locked and unlocked the. car with just the door keypad. Now I find neither lock icon on either front door will lock the door unless I have the fob with me. Am I losing my mind that this used to work?
Yes, you need a fob or PAAK present to use the lock button on the outside. [7/8]+[9/0] and inside button works without.

It works better if you stand 18" away from the car to give a signal path and use your thumb. If front doesn't work, then I go for the back button.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Interesting note. I disabled the double honk, and it’s disabled, but if I open the door and get out with the car running, hit the inside door lock it double honks me.
Sponsored