Do you unplug your Mach E during a thunderstorm?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Phoenix summers see threats of T-storms every night, and I only charge at night due to lower rates. I have had a Volt (2013), Bolt and now MME, never unplug, and not worried about it.
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I have whole-house surge protectors being installed tomorrow on both of my 200 Amp panels. I assume that, in the event of inclement weather and lightning, I can count of the new surge protectors to keep my MME safe, right?
Definitely a good idea in my opinion. Obviously the amount of protection depends on the rating of the device and the magnitude of a potential surge.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Never crossed my mind.

OP
OP
Sneezy

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
I've pondered a whole house suppressor for years and never did it. I have 7 battery backups (UPS) around my house. I'll ask about it when they finish my generator install.

Mark IV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus, Escape, 289 Cobra, GT40, Caterham, Excursion
Occupation
Specialty Car Dealer
Country flag
Why pay for the electricity?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Lol, did we just scare you into doing that today?

I think that will be fine. I've never heard of an EV getting fried from a thunderstorm before so I think it's rare to nonexistent.
Ha, no, the discussion did not scare me into it. ? When I upgraded my service to 400 Amps a year ago and started converting everything in my house to electric from gas and added solar, I started thinking about it. Just got around to booking the service to have the whole house surge protection added when I had electricians out a couple weeks ago for an estimate for a third electric tankless water heater and they suggested it. For some reason, the electric car and surge protection for it had never specifically come to my mind.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Would you fast charge during a storm? Do fast chargers provide adequate protection?
My first DCFC experience was with a thunderstorm minutes away. Lightning struck the ground across the hi way from me just as I was plugging in. Scared the living crap out of me. Charging went fine after that
Sponsored