Does the Mach E have a safety mechanism . . .

pcpacker

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Hey all, my Mach e should arrive in about three weeks. It will be mainly my wife’s car. She has a tendency to be a little forgetful in many ways and I worry that she will get in the car and try and drive away without unplugging it from the charger.
Does Ford have a solution for this? I am hoping that it can sense when it is plugged in and won’t let it switch to drive/reverse.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes - can’t get out of P with a cable attached.
Not only just can't get out of park, The motors won't actually engage while the car is plugged in. The ready light won't come on at all even if you do a full power on and not just accessory power mode.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
The car will not fully start as long as the cord is plug in. It does not even have to be powered just plugged in.
Also if the charge door is open it tells you on the screen and does beep at you telling you that it is open.

They try to help us stupid humans doing stupid human things.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Not only just can't get out of park, The motors won't actually engage while the car is plugged in. The ready light won't come on at all even if you do a full power on and not just accessory power mode.
Can the motors even engage in ”P”? Plugged in or not?

I’ve pulled in to DCFC on a hot day and left the car on. Everything seemed to stay functional other than being locked in ”P”.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It will however move with the charge port door open, fyi! Which means you can break it off if you back up and it hits something.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Here's my experience.

If you start the car with it plugged in at your home, it will not start, just go to Accessory Mode. After you unplug, you'll need to put your foot on the brake and hit start again.

When you DC charge, if you pull in with the car running as I do, and plug in to charge, the car will switch to accessory mode. You will not be able to pull away until you unplug, and restart the car.

If you unplug, and then forget to close the charging door, it will give a big warning. Apparently this isn't enough for some people who have pulled out and whacked the door on the garage as they went out. Ford can't be the solver for everything, if you can't see a big warning on your dashboard you probably shouldn't be driving a vehicle on the road.

OP
OP

pcpacker

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Thank you all for your responses!

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
In addidion to the above, the car displays a warning on the IPC stating that the car is plugged in. 😊🐩
Sponsored