Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Sounds to me like there needs to be some more logic added, just like with the front trunk:
IF ANY door open piston is extended THEN don’t allow transmission to be shifted out of Park
This should be fixable with an OTA software update (to prevent people driving off with the door open pistons extended anyway. TBH, I’d actually like to see the code not allow the car to be placed into drive at all if any doors are open).
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Correct. It never latched in the first place...

However, we did have an issue with the other option as well. The rolldown-window lock is the same button as the lock-the-back-doors lock. It's electronic, so there aren't any options to just lock one door vs the other. We have 1 older kid who needs to get out of the car for school drop off and another kid who is in a toddler seat and should be strapped in at all times. He pulled the little lever, and since it's got an actuator, it popped the door open. Wish it could be customized to door... alas. Annoying to have to remember to lock or unlock the child lock every time.
I must admit I never bothered to look when I went to the roadshow to view a mach-e as assumed it would be there but does the mach-e not come with the manual rear door child locks that you can set individually on the door?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I must admit I never bothered to look when I went to the roadshow to view a mach-e as assumed it would be there but does the mach-e not come with the manual rear door child locks that you can set individually on the door?
Owners manual page 38:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing 1614280368155

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Hello all,

Detailing another problem we've had. This is occurring on the front passenger door.

For some reason, the bolt that pushes the door open will extend while the door is fully open. This prevents the door from being closed. In fact, this has resulted in the door flying open while driving (twice) as we did not notice the door was not latched before departing.

There's no rhyme or reason. This has happened with the car off, the car on, someone in the passenger seat, someone not. I can't replicate so far, but still trying.

Have sent to the dealer here, so will update if I get updates.

Picture below of the bolt thing extended when it shouldn't be.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing 1614280368155
Has the dealer solved this? Clearly there is an issue with the "door presenter" (that piston that pops the door open). It is supposed to retract when the door opens past a certain point, but stay extended at first as to not allow the door to pinch your fingers.

FYI, you should be able to push the "presenter" back in with your hand if it does not retract on its own.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
As someone else posted, there is a button that you press that makes both doors and windows inoperable. A lot of flaws in this, IMO. It locks both the windows and doors, no option to separate. It also makes both rear doors inoperable. You do not have the option of having one that can still be opened and the other can't. Both of my other cars have the option to make either door able to opened or not.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
I was afraid that this rod thing would get stuck in the open position. I am surprise you didn't also get a chime that the door was not latched while driving

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I was afraid that this rod thing would get stuck in the open position. I am surprise you didn't also get a chime that the door was not latched while driving
I believe there's a box on the main screen that says A Door is Ajar. I wasn't in the car when this happened, so not totally certain if there's an audible chime.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
As someone else posted, there is a button that you press that makes both doors and windows inoperable. A lot of flaws in this, IMO. It locks both the windows and doors, no option to separate. It also makes both rear doors inoperable. You do not have the option of having one that can still be opened and the other can't. Both of my other cars have the option to make either door able to opened or not.
Agree that the door and windows should have separate locks

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Yeah that is not as good as the manual option on the door as you can pick and choose which one is child proof, rather than alternative electronic push button control which appears to be a down grade as it t is sacrificing practicality.for convenience.

Depending on the setup maybe it could be one of those things that an OTA could allow you to select what you want the button to do in the menus left / right door or both and windows etc.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Hi everyone... A quick update here.

Took the car into the dealership on March 5th to get this fixed, and got it back today, finally. They had to do body repair work from issues present upon delivery (tried to drill holes through the back bumper to install temp license plate rather than just using provided bolt holes, a gouge and misaligned panels). Upon opening the door the very first time at the dealership, the kickstand remained extended. No joke, the exact reason the car went in to get fixed in the first place and it happened on the first try. I tried to replicate at home but couldn't do it, in fact the kickstand retreats immediately after opening so now I get this fun thing. Seems I've replaced a door randomly swinging open with now a pinch hazard..... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, we will be taking the car to a different dealer to try again at some point, but first I'll be putting in a call to the Ford corporate number to let them know what's going on in hopes they can guide me.

Attachments

PS71

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Country flag
A sentry mode type of solution would have been great video to report back to Ford and show them the video.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I've tried to read over the operation of this feature but I can't find it anywhere in the WSM...It shows up in all pictures but wiring diagrams and the WSM don't seem to have it anywhere. I spent a good half hour looking this morning. Even the pinout for the door modules don't show any kind of pins going to any device other than the door latch itself which is totally separate. It is so weird. Maybe this was added later in build? The pictures of the door cutout show the hole for it though so I'm just not sure.

I'd like to read up on how Ford says it is supposed to operate to figure out what the potential issues is - a sensor, or other. I'm wondering if your dealer is having a hard time finding information on it too. Though an inquiry to the hotline should get them the info they need.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I'm wondering if your dealer is having a hard time finding information on it too. Though an inquiry to the hotline should get them the info they need.
Yeah, I give them a big of a benefit of the doubt in that this is most likely the VERY first time they've taken a Mach-E door apart (sad face...). Maybe not as much in that had they pushed the button immediately upon installation they would have seen that it doesn't work, so not sure why they called me to say it's done...

That said, the experience with the dealership from sale to now has been less than stellar, and it's also not the closest dealer to my house so quite an inconvenience. We will try with a new dealership and hopefully they put in a bit more effort to fix it.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Update to my update. Got in the passenger side of the car tonight..... and couldn’t get out. The door handle is a floppy mess of nothingness now. Apparently the mechanic didn’t hook up any of the things to allow the interior door handle/latch to function.

So word of warning to anyone getting door work done. Make sure the door opens from the INSIDE as well before you leave the dealership.

??‍♂

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
Now, I know for sure I will not buy a Mach E until most of the software and hardware problems are fixed. Not sure how maintenance-free the vehicle is now and in the future. Also, the dealerships are still in a fog knowing little about the Mach E and where to begin fixing customer complaints.
Sponsored