Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hi everyone... A quick update here.

Took the car into the dealership on March 5th to get this fixed, and got it back today, finally. They had to do body repair work from issues present upon delivery (tried to drill holes through the back bumper to install temp license plate rather than just using provided bolt holes, a gouge and misaligned panels). Upon opening the door the very first time at the dealership, the kickstand remained extended. No joke, the exact reason the car went in to get fixed in the first place and it happened on the first try. I tried to replicate at home but couldn't do it, in fact the kickstand retreats immediately after opening so now I get this fun thing. Seems I've replaced a door randomly swinging open with now a pinch hazard..... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, we will be taking the car to a different dealer to try again at some point, but first I'll be putting in a call to the Ford corporate number to let them know what's going on in hopes they can guide me.
Do I have this right? The dealer installed plates on the bumper by adding holes for it?

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Now, I know for sure I will not buy a Mach E until most of the software and hardware problems are fixed. Not sure how maintenance-free the vehicle is now and in the future. Also, the dealerships are still in a fog knowing little about the Mach E and where to begin fixing customer complaints.
Sure, but in 2021 every car off the line being perfect from mfg to ownership does not exist. Hardware issues you reading here are actually not that common, we have many very happy owners. Quality is actually very good and Ford has been working on the software issues that do exist which overall are minor in the grand scheme of things. The only one that gave great concern was the 12V which was already addressed.

Some dealers have better tech's than others, this is true.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Do I have this right? The dealer installed plates on the bumper by adding holes for it?
That is correct. The rear bumper. They must have realized that something wasn't right as they holes did not puncture all the way through, but deep pocks where an attempt to drill the bolt/screw that holds the license plate on had been done. Here's the right side bolt hole as an example. Found it when I went to install my new plates:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing MachE bumper

johnny5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Black
Country flag
Same thing happened to my wife and kids this morning. Happened to both front and rear doors on the drivers side. Somehow they get the rear one to retract but the front one is still extended. We cannot close the door. Luckily it's at home in the garage.

Is there a way to manually close this?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Same thing happened to my wife and kids this morning. Happened to both front and rear doors on the drivers side. Somehow they get the rear one to retract but the front one is still extended. We cannot close the door. Luckily it's at home in the garage.

You'll need to push the door closed with more force. And then bring it in to get serviced... This is a safety issue.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
will it shut if I push hard enough? I'm worried about damaging something.
I've not had this issue... But I noticed that when the presenter rod is extended, if you push against the door with enough force, you can retract it. Do this from outside the vehicle if possible.

ncmagus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Select, AWD
Country flag
I went at the dealer to try my car (bringing it home this friday). The driver car had that problem. According to my dealer, you just have to push harder on it ...

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Make sure they are clean. A little lube of some type can not hurt.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I've done two things now... If I'm the passenger on the inside and don't want to bother the driver to come close my door, I push the kickstand back in with the palm of my hand. It's not easy, and if I do it too many times I can imagine it'll leave a bruise. Once I exit the car, then I close the door up to when the kickstand hits (don't slam it), and then apply steady pressure on the door until the latch takes over. Again, it's not easy. No way my kids could do it, and my wife struggles with it.

In regards to a fix, I've now got it at yet another dealership for a 2nd opinion. They called Ford and Ford is recommending "instructing us to replace the passenger front door latch which contains a door module for that latch that communicates with the Body Control Module."

We'll see if that solves it..............

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Update to this. Took the car into a different dealership, and they spoke with Ford and actually had an engineer onsite. They couldn't reproduce the problem, but with videos I provided and diagnostics they could see there was an issue. They installed a new door latch, and we haven't had any other problems so far (fingers crossed). Below is the service writeup:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing Door writeu

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Update to this. Took the car into a different dealership, and they spoke with Ford and actually had an engineer onsite. They couldn't reproduce the problem, but with videos I provided and diagnostics they could see there was an issue. They installed a new door latch, and we haven't had any other problems so far (fingers crossed). Below is the service writeup:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Door not closing Door writeu
Good to hear.
That is a case of if the component is replaced and the issue remains then the module that controls the component is the next item under suspicion.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Another update on this. I was contacted by the dealer and apparently a Ford engineer reached out to him about this fix. They agreed that the latch was the right thing to replace and the engineer also said that Ford is releasing a new software update for the door modules. Apparently it can't be done via OTA update, so I'll have to take in for the latest. Not sure how they push this out to all of the other cars on the road...

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Another update on this. I was contacted by the dealer and apparently a Ford engineer reached out to him about this fix. They agreed that the latch was the right thing to replace and the engineer also said that Ford is releasing a new software update for the door modules. Apparently it can't be done via OTA update, so I'll have to take in for the latest. Not sure how they push this out to all of the other cars on the road...
They can’t apparently and we all at some point will need go to the dealer for a “software” tune up.
Sponsored