Electrify America vs Ford Pass

Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
The charges are all over the place. EA Rep told me if I want 25% off with the monthly pass I had to start the charge in the app. With Ford pass plug and play it says .48 kwhr but sometimes the charges are lower. Should I start the charge in EA app or get random charges from Ford Pass?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you have an EA account with the 25% discount you have to start the charge in the EA app before plugging in to pay the cheaper rate. Period.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Ford has mentioned they were going to roll out an option to buy EA Pass+ membership via the BlueOval Charge network so that you could use Plug & Charge and get the membership rate (roughly 25% discount).

This was tested in the Early Access Program with some customers (I was fortunate to be invited to that program). I still have that benefit -- so I'm not sure if they has yet made it to general availability. Log into your owner.ford.com website and check the "Connected Services" to see if they'll let you opt in.

This aside ... if you use Plug & Charge but are _not_ enrolled to Pass+ via the Blue Oval Charging network then you would be billed the non-member rate (full price). If you opt into Pass+ via Electrify America then you have to use their app to initiate the charge. In that case it is better to disable Plug & Charge so that it doesn't initiate and start billing you at the full-price rate before you activate the charge via the EA app.

OP
OP

Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Spoke with EA rep. She said do it from app. I will play around with blue oval network next week. It maybe seamless if you select the monthly pass when u begin Electrify America service during registration.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford has mentioned they were going to roll out an option to buy EA Pass+ membership via the BlueOval Charge network so that you could use Plug & Charge and get the membership rate (roughly 25% discount).
It's not quite right. It's not Ford using EA Pass+, it's simply Ford offering their own 25% discount. There's no connection at all to EA Pass+. One pays through the EA wallet, the other pays through the Ford wallet.

It can be confusing since they're both 25% off, but they're actually totally separate, unrelated subscriptions.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The charges are all over the place. EA Rep told me if I want 25% off with the monthly pass I had to start the charge in the app. With Ford pass plug and play it says .48 kwhr but sometimes the charges are lower. Should I start the charge in EA app or get random charges from Ford Pass?
To get the EA Pass+ discount you have to pay with the EA wallet. To pay with the EA wallet, you have to start the session with the EA app (or with the NFC phone tap, which still really uses the EA app).

No idea what the lower charger is through FP that you're referring to. That shouldn't happen (unless you have the actual FP discount subscription that only select EAP ppl have). Might you have mistaken a charge in a per-minute state as a lower rate, perhaps?

OP
OP

Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
The price of my charges are all over the place and I have used my free 250kwh this week.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The price of my charges are all over the place and I have used my free 250kwh this week.
We have yet to charge our Mach-e outside our garage but figure we need to start doing this in anticipation of some road trips. We haven’t used our 250kwh.

My question, since my sales guy was throwing a lot of new EV info at my older brain at closing, which charging networks will accept these?

Also, I’ve downloaded a bunch of charging apps: Chargepoint, PlugShare, Electrify America, EvGo, and Tesla (anticipating the future!). Is there a strategy for using these apps - EvGo is the nearest charging network to our house so I wanted to include that one.

Sorry for my confused SoM (State of Mind!) but this is our first EV and it’s been a real learning curve.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We have yet to charge our Mach-e outside our garage but figure we need to start doing this in anticipation of some road trips. We haven’t used our 250kwh.

My question, since my sales guy was throwing a lot of new EV info at my older brain at closing, which charging networks will accept these?

Also, I’ve downloaded a bunch of charging apps: Chargepoint, PlugShare, Electrify America, EvGo, and Tesla (anticipating the future!). Is there a strategy for using these apps - EvGo is the nearest charging network to our house so I wanted to include that one.

Sorry for my confused SoM (State of Mind!) but this is our first EV and it’s been a real learning curve.
To use your free 250kwh you have to go to Electrify America, and either enable plug-n-charge or activate the charging in the FORDPASS APP. You should be able to activate EVgo charging from the fordpass app or if you set up an EVgo account on the EVgo app. Chargepoint is a weird animal - they allow sites to have their own apps/accounts, so you need to check ahead of time on plugshare to see if you need a special app or can use the generic chargepoint app.

It's a weird time right now - kind of like when credit cards first came out and every store took a specific credit card and didn't take anyone else's. Ford is trying to act as the broker/front end for all the charging companies with their Fordpass App/wallet, but it's still early and the kinks are definitely not worked out.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To use your free 250kwh you have to go to Electrify America, and either enable plug-n-charge or activate the charging in the FORDPASS APP. You should be able to activate EVgo charging from the fordpass app or if you set up an EVgo account on the EVgo app. Chargepoint is a weird animal - they allow sites to have their own apps/accounts, so you need to check ahead of time on plugshare to see if you need a special app or can use the generic chargepoint app.

It's a weird time right now - kind of like when credit cards first came out and every store took a specific credit card and didn't take anyone else's. Ford is trying to act as the broker/front end for all the charging companies with their Fordpass App/wallet, but it's still early and the kinks are definitely not worked out.
And before doing any of that, make sure she's registered a credit card first in the Wallet in Connected Services in her Ford.com account. Even if using the free credits, it still needs to be all set up and ready to charge the account normally.

OP
OP

Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
ChargePoint can be expensive in my city. Electrify America is the most reliable out of the bunch in my area and they offer the most fast dc charge. 10% of the time some users have bad etiquette. Pay attention if a charge port is all in use or if half of the ports are out of service. Since our port is front driver side you may have to back in. Some chargers or in tight spots. One near me isn’t practical cause of the location of my port. Hyper and ultra chargers will be most in demand. EV space should be great in 5 years with faster charging and bigger batteries that can take 100% charge. Plus expanded network of chargers.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The ONLY place you can use the free hours is at EA. The ONLY way to use them is via Ford Plug and Charge, or by activating the charger via the FordPass app.

You don't use chargers by your house, you target arriving home with 10% to fill up overnight.

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The ONLY place you can use the free hours is at EA. The ONLY way to use them is via Ford Plug and Charge, or by activating the charger via the FordPass app.

You don't use chargers by your house, you target arriving home with 10% to fill up overnight.
Good to know that we can use the FordPass to use these miles. Now we need to find an EA location to try out charging our car.

I only mentioned EvGo because we need to try this out sometime and we want it to be nearby that first time.

Of course you’re right, we will try to arrive home at a lesser SOC to fill up overnight; it’s just taking that first road trip that we need to do to dispense with our range anxiety. There’s a first time for every EV owner, right?

Thanks!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to know that we can use the FordPass to use these miles. Now we need to find an EA location to try out charging our car.

I only mentioned EvGo because we need to try this out sometime and we want it to be nearby that first time.

Of course you’re right, we will try to arrive home at a lesser SOC to fill up overnight; it’s just taking that first road trip that we need to do to dispense with our range anxiety. There’s a first time for every EV owner, right?

Thanks!
I have had EVs for over 2 years. I have charged at EA, ChargePoint, and FPL (Florida Power and Light). You may, or may not, need to try other brands like EVGo.
Sponsored