Extended Warranty-1) Worth it? and 2) How to negotiate best price?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I am interested to get a Ford Protect warranty as well... but I am not sure what the Ford extended warranty plan actually covers for our cars. https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com are running a special through memorial day...but I am reading the fine print.

It does include:
Engine - Cylinder block and Internal Lubricated Parts, seals and gaskets, the cylinder heads, manifold (Exhaust, Intake and bolts), factory installed turbocharger/ supercharger units, timing chain (gears or belt), flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, timing chain cover, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing. Also flywheel ring gear, diesel lift pump and gas and diesel fuel injectors, heater core assembly, radiator, radiator fan, radiator fan clutch or motor, ETA pump hose assembly, alternator, starter motor, electronic ignition module, radiator fan relay, fuel pump, starter motor solenoid. (our cars have NONE of those things)

What it does NOT include:
electric Vehicle’s main power cell batteries are not included in this coverage
or our actual drive train motors ???

and:

If You elected Powertrain Wrap Coverage, You have new PremiumCARE coverage for all components except components covered under PowertrainCARE. Powertrain Wrap Coverage applies only to the original Service Contract Holder for the selected coverage and is not transferable to any subsequent vehicle owner.

What am I missing?
Sponsored

Attachments

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
What am I missing?
Brakes don't include regen parts or function

Under Electrical you might be able to stretch the definitions of "odometer" and "speedometer" to cover parts of the computers associated with those functions, which could be quite broad.

High Tech "electronic instrument cluster" too, except that exclusion would be tough. 5(c)

Roadside Assistance only includes gasoline or diesel, no electrons 6(a)(1)

GTs and Mustangs are excluded from coverage 7 (v)

It seems as if they didn't really mean EVs when they wrote these programs. I bet there are a million procedural snarls trying to get a repair done because none of the parts will be listed in the system or something like that.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brakes don't include regen parts or function

Under Electrical you might be able to stretch the definitions of "odometer" and "speedometer" to cover parts of the computers associated with those functions, which could be quite broad.

High Tech "electronic instrument cluster" too, except that exclusion would be tough. 5(c)

Roadside Assistance only includes gasoline or diesel, no electrons 6(a)(1)

GTs and Mustangs are excluded from coverage 7 (v)

It seems as if they didn't really mean EVs when they wrote these programs. I bet there are a million procedural snarls trying to get a repair done because none of the parts will be listed in the system or something like that.
Thank you! I guess in the spirit of what is NOT included may be that the drive train components, charging components etc. are covered...but it seems very clear NOT the traction battery...

What is "7 (v)"?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended Warranty-1) Worth it? and 2) How to negotiate best price? Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.14.29 PM

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
What is "7 (v)"?
It's page 4, paragraph v Section 7, where they list the vehicles that are excluded from coverage:

Ford: Foose F-150, GT, Mustang All Roush Performance Modified Vehicles (except Stage 1 and Stage 2), Shelby GT500KR, GTS, Supersnake, Tonka and any other Shelby Performance Modified Vehicles, all Saleen modified vehicles, and Transit Connect Electric;

Whoever assembled this document should get canned - you'd expect better out of a 1st year Associate. Every section has a different format and the typographic errors abound - the use of commas in the Ford list is unrefined, at best.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's page 4, paragraph v Section 7, where they list the vehicles that are excluded from coverage:

Ford: Foose F-150, GT, Mustang All Roush Performance Modified Vehicles (except Stage 1 and Stage 2), Shelby GT500KR, GTS, Supersnake, Tonka and any other Shelby Performance Modified Vehicles, all Saleen modified vehicles, and Transit Connect Electric;

Whoever assembled this document should get canned - you'd expect better out of a 1st year Associate. Every section has a different format and the typographic errors abound - the use of commas in the Ford list is unrefined, at best.
Ah, yes that document...

Yes, they DO need to work on their wording on this WHOLE document, however, I don't think there are issues with any version of the Mach E (including GT, GTPE versions).

The Ford Foose F-150 is a 2008 special performance truck. (Not sure why it is still on a 2022 list)
The GT is the Ford GT (GT40 like modern super car)

Mustang: (Meaning any of these special edition Mustangs):
Mustang All Roush Performance Modified Vehicles (except Stage 1 and Stage 2)
Mustang Shelby GT500KR
Mustang GTS (a 1995 model...again, why is this on the list in 2022?)
Mustang Supersnake

Ford F-150 Tonka
Other Shelby Performance Modified Vehicles (they did more than Mustang)
Other Saleen modified vehicles (they did more than just Mustang)
etc.

I read that if it is not one of those exceptions, all Mustang and Mach E models are included...and if they sell a warranty to us, it would be hard to say that our cars don't qualify. I just want to make sure that if I get a warranty they don't get out of supporting the vehicle (outside of the Traction Battery if that is excluded).

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I read that if it is not one of those exceptions, all Mustang and Mach E models are included...and if they sell a warranty to us, it would be hard to say that our cars don't qualify.
I agree with the first part, but have my doubts about the second. Caveat emptor, and all that.

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
Haven't decided if we will do any sort of extended warranty, but I will add this... if there was a way to extend the warranty on the HV battery package past 100k to say 150k, I would probably jump at it as long as the cost was not insane.

That's the big worry for me anyway - long term health of the battery. I have a Kia Optima PHEV right now, and the battery pack had to be replaced at 38k miles. Cost of that pack would have been 9k outside of warranty, but luckily we were within warranty.

Cost of a new battery pack on an XR Mach-E is probably going to run you $25k (or equivalent with inflation later) if you have to do it, which is nearly half the cost of the car. Im willing to pay significant money to mitigate that risk.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FYI: Lombard Ford Warranties did get me the ACTUAL correct document for what is covered with Extended warranties on our Mach E vehicles. Please see the attached.

I called Ford, and emailed grangermotors.com and NEITHER could get me the correct document.

Attachments

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
FYI: Lombard Ford Warranties did get me the ACTUAL correct document for what is covered with Extended warranties on our Mach E vehicles. Please see the attached.

I called Ford, and emailed grangermotors.com and NEITHER could get me the correct document.
Can you post the number for Lombard Ford? Or the location of that dealership?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All the years I drove Hondas I bought Honda policies from a dealer in RI. I'm glad that option exists for Ford too.
I am just happy that my warranty that I just purchased for my GTPE was NOT for:

Cylinder block and Internal Lubricated Parts, seals and gaskets, the cylinder heads, manifold (Exhaust, Intake and bolts), factory installed turbocharger/ supercharger units, timing chain (gears or belt), flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, timing chain cover, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing. Also flywheel ring gear, diesel lift pump and gas and diesel fuel injectors, heater core assembly, radiator, radiator fan, radiator fan clutch or motor, ETA pump hose assembly, alternator, starter motor, electronic ignition module, radiator fan relay, fuel pump, starter motor solenoid...etc.

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
I am just happy that my warranty that I just purchased for my GTPE was NOT for:

Cylinder block and Internal Lubricated Parts, seals and gaskets, the cylinder heads, manifold (Exhaust, Intake and bolts), factory installed turbocharger/ supercharger units, timing chain (gears or belt), flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, timing chain cover, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing. Also flywheel ring gear, diesel lift pump and gas and diesel fuel injectors, heater core assembly, radiator, radiator fan, radiator fan clutch or motor, ETA pump hose assembly, alternator, starter motor, electronic ignition module, radiator fan relay, fuel pump, starter motor solenoid...etc.
Yes, until I saw the the document that you uploaded, I thought it was a rip off.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, until I saw the the document that you uploaded, I thought it was a rip off.
I was NOT going to sign up for a warranty until I found a document for what would or not be covered on our car. Not sure why it was so hard to find...but glad to share it with the community.
Sponsored