Extended Warranty & how to buy one

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Keep in mind that you can purchase extended warranty before standard warranty lapses. So most of us can put that decision off for a couple of years.
True, but the price goes up after you cross the 1 year mark. So it might be wise to decide in the first year.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
True, but the price goes up after you cross the 1 year mark. So it might be wise to decide in the first year.
It may take a while for chronic problems to surface. Either way it's not the decision you need to make at the time of delivery.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There expensive, but I like the peace of mind knowing if that big 15 inch screen goes bad its covered.

Just my opinion

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
There are very rare exceptions when an extended warranty may be of some nominal value.
If they actually covered anything, they would not be available. You are gambling on an expensive repair that might be covered. Most likely it will not be covered. The fine print is very fine and very detailed.
Your dealer and everyone else involved in your purchase will sell your information to no end.
The telephone calls trying to con you into an extended warranty will hound you long after you no longer own the vehicle. How many times do you receive unsolicited calls for something you need or want?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are very rare exceptions when an extended warranty may be of some nominal value.
It‘s insurance. Sometimes you come out ahead and sometimes you don’t. I bought a factory extended warranty for my wife’s Pacifica 4 years ago for about $900. In the last year, they’ve replaced a headlight assembly, air conditioning compressor, and Uconnect head unit. In this particular case, the value ended up being far more than nominal.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have purchased all my ESP's online. I've done flood ford and I don't remember the other one. But They are totally legit. When I bought my last car they tried to sell me on it for double the price, and I told them I'll just go buy it online at cost, and they offered it to me at dealer cost as well. I decided not to buy it at all since it was my first brand new car and would be in factory warranty the whole time I had it. I've been preparing with the dealership to pick my car up Saturday and the finance guy hasn't even mentioned extended warranty at all yet.

I'll probably do like my last car. Wait until I've had it 2 years and decide. Pricing only goes up $100 if you wait after the first year.

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
If the screenshot is showing what I can get the warranty for, that seems pretty reasonable considering the inherent risks of a first year model. Rolled into the already groovy monthly payment over 5 years, it is only going to add a hair over $30/month. Nobody likes surprise repair costs, and this is a way to regulate the costs if you're planning on keeping the car for a while.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 131611.png
Where did you go for that price?

When I checked, it was over $1000 more for the same coverage.

82B9F9C0-D7E7-42E1-8B70-E8E897D18782.jpeg

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another thing to keep in mind with these Ford extended warranties is that if you get rid of the car before it expires, you get a prorated refund for the time that’s left.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Another thing to keep in mind with these Ford extended warranties is that if you get rid of the car before it expires, you get a prorated refund for the time that’s left.
It's also a selling point if you do a private party sale since the warranty should be transferrable.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Ahh, ok. That’s the place that Florida won’t allow.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended Warranty & how to buy one FBC9F75A-A8F5-44FA-87D5-78FA6BA832D0
AFAIK Florida can't stop you from buying an extended service plan from an out of state dealer, no matter how hard Florida dealerships try. Interstate commerce and all that.

Also note that since the bumper to bumper warranty covers the first three years, the 7 year extended warranty is really a 4 year warranty. During the first three years you're paying and receiving nothing.

You can get the extended plan anytime before the bumper to bumper expires.

Not saying not to get one.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
AFAIK Florida can't stop you from buying an extended service plan from an out of state dealer, no matter how hard Florida dealerships try. Interstate commerce and all that.

Also note that since the bumper to bumper warranty covers the first three years, the 7 year extended warranty is really a 4 year warranty. During the first three years you're paying and receiving nothing.

You can get the extended plan anytime before the bumper to bumper expires.

Not saying not to get one.
The "actual time" thing is a valid point... that said...

Someone on the thread said the prices change after one year... also, I know from experience that they ask "are you still in your factory warranty" because if not, that means among other things you might need an inspection to be done to make sure you're not going "my infotainment broke I'll get them to pay for it" or that kind of thing.

so I wouldn't necessarily wait too long...

like the "how should I pay" question this is driven a bit by "do I expect to keep the car after 3-4 years?"
Sponsored