Extended warranty worth buying?

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I used to buy them, for peace of mind, then decided that I can have it (peace of mind) without spending extra money. But with this first-year, new technology vehicle, and after reading this forum for a while, I am not so sure.

I don't even know how much it costs or what and for how long it covers, but now I'm thinking...

I have to much time while waiting for my Mach-E :rolleyes:
Sponsored

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Absolutely not.

Longer answer: There is a reason the margin is YUUUUGE on extended warranties. They are not your friend. Don't do it. Sell the vehicle after 3-4 years if it is that big of a concern.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I bought the extended warranty. But not from my dealer at retail. They wanted over $3,000 for an 8 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I got mine online from Lombard Ford for about $1,600 which includes a free replacement fob once per year.

The key to extended warranty, if you get one, is to not pay retail.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
I used to buy them, for peace of mind, then decided that I can have it (peace of mind) without spending extra money. But with this first-year, new technology vehicle, and after reading this forum for a while, I am not so sure.

I don't even know how much it costs or what and for how long it covers, but now I'm thinking...

I have to much time while waiting for my Mach-E :rolleyes:
I'm usually adamant against getting extended warranties because I view them as a waste of money. But considering this is a first year EV model, I thought it would be prudent to spend a little extra for peace of mind.

I suggest you check out these websites. They are always cheaper than what's offered at the dealership, and they're genuine extended warranties backed by Ford.

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/default.aspx

You can always get quotes from these websites and ask the dealer to match. I got Zeigler and the dealer wouldn't even come close to the price Zeigler was offering.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yeah, if you’re going to do it (I did), compare prices online at Flood Ford, Lombard Ford, and Ziegler Ford (which I used). You can buy the warranty from any Ford dealer; it doesn’t have to be yours. My purchase dealer couldn’t even get within $800 of the price that Ziegler gave me (Ziegler was the lowest of the three mentioned here for my combination using the code PAYINFULL).

Given the issues we’ve been seeing with some early units, and given that it’s a first model year car, I think it’s kind of prudent, especially if you’re going to be doing a lot of driving. That’s a personal decision though, as the math on extended warranties doesn’t always work out as mentioned above.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Given that Ford's warranty is only 36mos/36k miles, and I already put more than 8k miles on my car in 4mos, I too am seriously considering it. This is the pricing table from Flood Ford on the Mach-E. I'll probably go for the 8yr/100k with $100 deductible for $1195.

Ford ESP.JPG

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I got the 7yr/100k for $825 from Ziegler after PAYINFULL, then I used my fordpass points to get that down to $715. It's a $200 deductible, which some people don't like, but that's fine with me because any repair that I'll need should be a lot more that that.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Given that Ford's warranty is only 36mos/36k miles, and I already put more than 8k miles on my car in 4mos, I too am seriously considering it.
Actually, the more important part of the warranty, IMO, is the Electric Vehicle Component Coverage of 8 years / 100,000 miles, with 70% of battery life guaranteed. Coupled with the Powertrain coverage of 5 years / 60,000 miles. The bumper to bumper warranty isn't really a concern of mine.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Actually, the more important part of the warranty, IMO, is the Electric Vehicle Component Coverage of 8 years / 100,000 miles, with 70% of battery life guaranteed. Coupled with the Powertrain coverage of 5 years / 60,000 miles. The bumper to bumper warranty isn't really a concern of mine.
I'm more worried about all of the electrical systems. Powertrain could be pretty limited to just the basic components. There's too many electronically controlled components these days for me to think that I will be okay with just a powertrain warranty. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind, in my opinion.

OP
OP
alexgorod

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We just invest the money we would otherwise have paid into any kind of warranty. On all purchases. For vehicles, we've been doing this since the first new vehicle we purchased in 1995. We have never regretted not purchasing an extended warranty.

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Does it include the cooling system with all these hoses and connectors that Munro liked so much?
The Ford manager claimed the hoses were over-engineered - ie more expensive than necessary. That implies they should last longer than ones that will most likely replace them in the future.
Sponsored