eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
We finally have the answer to the age old question of "Is the Mach-E a Mustang?" In the linked article below, CEO Jim Farley says they will never build an Electric Mustang or one for off-roading (sorry Mach-E Rally). Interesting little article.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/four-door-ford-mustang-super-saloon-pipeline
Except they will eventually build a two door coupe Mustang. Sure, it may not be on the roadmap now, but it's inevitable. Especially as batteries become smaller while providing longer range.
Sponsored

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
If you by that mean that the question can be answered with a "no", I am now in a postion to clarify. I reached out to Emma Bergg (director, EV Energy & Battery Tech Communications). She confirmed that Jim Farley was - as I indicated in my previous post - "referring to the 2-door coupe".

So what Ford CEO Jim Farley said was that Ford won't build a fully electric Mustang with the body shape of a 2-door coupe.

The Mustang Mach-E was, is an will stay part of the Mustang family in its own right:)
Thanks for doing that. Seems like that is /thread then.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
If you by that mean that the question can be answered with a "no", I am now in a postion to clarify. I reached out to Emma Bergg (director, EV Energy & Battery Tech Communications). She confirmed that Jim Farley was - as I indicated in my previous post - "referring to the 2-door coupe".

So what Ford CEO Jim Farley said was that Ford won't build a fully electric Mustang with the body shape of a 2-door coupe.

The Mustang Mach-E was, is an will stay part of the Mustang family in its own right:)
Except thatā€™s NOT what Jim Farley said. She may want to have Jim put out some type of ā€œclean-upā€ message. As it stands, he basically dumped all over their only non-truck EV (yes, I know there are about 8 electric transits in Norway or something šŸ˜€)

Dear_OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Horse and Wagon
Trying to think if there ever been such an existential issue for any other car in recent memory.

Farley clearly forgot about the MME or truly doesn't believe it true in deep down. Meh. I've always referred it as the Mach E or if you want to be haute couture - marchƩ . :D

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Trying to think if there ever been such an existential issue for any other car in recent memory.

Farley clearly forgot about the MME or truly doesn't believe it true in deep down. Meh. I've always referred it as the Mach E or if you want to be haute couture - marchƩ . :D
He clearly wouldnā€™t forget about it.

He just knows that when he talks about the ā€œMustang,ā€ he definitely isnā€™t talking about the MME.

I do think the ā€œoh he must be confused about the vehicles his company buildsā€ comments are cute though.
Except they will eventually build a two door coupe Mustang. Sure, it may not be on the roadmap now, but it's inevitable. Especially as batteries become smaller while providing longer range.
Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe the current plan is to keep the Mustang ICE for as long as itā€™s being built.

Coupes arenā€™t very large sellers. And the Mustang is the only car Ford even makes at the moment. Maybe when theyā€™re done with the ICE Mustang, theyā€™re done with cars.

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit (2022), Mustang Mach-E, FE (2021)
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
Except thatā€™s NOT what Jim Farley said.
I agree. What I was trying to ascertain, was what he meant by it. And Emma Bergg's answer is very reasonable. It was Jim Farley himself who pushed for that Ford's first electric car from the ground up should not inly be inspired by Mustang, but be a Mustang. Ford has stuck by this through all the noise from those who can't come to terms with it. Why would Farley suddenly turn around on his word now?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Why would Farley suddenly turn around on his word now?
Because people are not always entirely honest. Sometimes they tell people what they think those people want to hear. Politicians are famous for this, but they are not the only ones who exhibit this universal human weakness.

If Farley had been speaking at a meeting of EV enthusiasts, he may well have said something very different, or at least phrased it differently. You can ascertain what Farley said, and you can ascertain what some PR mouthpiece communication director claims he meant. Ascertaining what Farley really meant is not so easy.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
This is really a silly thread.

For those that know how to read, the car that I own states quite clearly on the title the name "Mustang". It is like their birth certificate. It is the legal name and not a nickname. Period

It is a Mustang Mach E. Different versions and interpretations yes, but still a Mustang.

One could easily use the same logic when the Mustang II came out. Was that a "real Mustang" in comparison to the previous versions? Yes it was albeit a smaller version of the previous model.

Was the Boss Mustang a "Mustang"? Yes it was but with more power than the 64 1/2.

The Mustang is like many family members. Some are big, smart, etc. where some are quite the opposite. At the end of the day, their last name on their birth certificate is still the same even if some in the family don't want to recognize them as such (if they are a criminal for example).

For those that don't want to admit that the MME is a Mustang are simply painfully ignoring the name on the title of their car. Their prejudice is clouding their judgement and they are overlooking the name Mustang.

If Farley is really suggesting that the Mustang Mach E is not a Mustang, he is simply wrong. Until Ford Motor Company changes the "birth certificate", it will forever be known as a Mustang no matter what the CEO or any other individual thinks.

Whether you like the car or not, the name is something that can only be changed if you legally make said change. Until my title suggests some other name, I can't legally make the claim it is not a Mustang (just like I can't state that it is not a 2022).

So there you go.

This should conclude the thread now. šŸ¤«

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
Because people are not always entirely honest. Sometimes they tell people what they think those people want to hear. Politicians are famous for this, but they are not the only ones who exhibit this universal human weakness.

If Farley had been speaking at a meeting of EV enthusiasts, he may well have said something very different, or at least phrased it differently. You can ascertain what Farley said, and you can ascertain what some PR mouthpiece communication director claims he meant. Ascertaining what Farley really meant is not so easy.
Because Farley wants that $12 per share to become $13. They are in the business to sell vehicles and they are bound to act in the interest of the shareholders. I donā€™t even mindā€¦.but I am one of said shareholders. They were poised to expand rapidly if the US decided EVā€™s were the thing. The US did not actually decide that. Farley correctly identified that his current DCFC partnerships were hurting EV sales and addressed it. It is not perfect, but Farley is addressing the things that concern his customers and dealerships. You can argue that it is too little. You can argue it is too late..but he is taking action. What I actually want ( more quality EVā€™s) has nothing to do with it.

I had an option to put in to a local Mustang car show. I strongly considered it. But at the end of the day I deal with enough ā€œnot a Mustangā€ at Drive Electric events.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This is really a silly thread.

For those that know how to read, the car that I own states quite clearly on the title the name "Mustang". It is like their birth certificate. It is the legal name and not a nickname. Period

It is a Mustang Mach E. Different versions and interpretations yes, but still a Mustang.

One could easily use the same logic when the Mustang II came out. Was that a "real Mustang" in comparison to the previous versions? Yes it was albeit a smaller version of the previous model.

Was the Boss Mustang a "Mustang"? Yes it was but with more power than the 64 1/2.

The Mustang is like many family members. Some are big, smart, etc. where some are quite the opposite. At the end of the day, their last name on their birth certificate is still the same even if some in the family don't want to recognize them as such (if they are a criminal for example).

For those that don't want to admit that the MME is a Mustang are simply painfully ignoring the name on the title of their car. Their prejudice is clouding their judgement and they are overlooking the name Mustang.

If Farley is really suggesting that the Mustang Mach E is not a Mustang, he is simply wrong. Until Ford Motor Company changes the "birth certificate", it will forever be known as a Mustang no matter what the CEO or any other individual thinks.

Whether you like the car or not, the name is something that can only be changed if you legally make said change. Until my title suggests some other name, I can't legally make the claim it is not a Mustang (just like I can't state that it is not a 2022).

So there you go.

This should conclude the thread now. šŸ¤«
People have tried to make this point multiple times like itā€™s a mic drop.

Having something in your name doesnā€™t make you that thing.

Green beans arenā€™t beans
White chocolate isnā€™t chocolate
Strawberries arenā€™t berries

The Mach E is part of the ā€œMustang family,ā€ but itā€™s more of a cousin. It isnā€™t a ā€œMustang.ā€

Farley didnā€™t ā€œsuggestā€ it. He straight up stated it.

Yes, itā€™s debatable. Yes itā€™s semantics.

Feel free to tell people you drive a ā€œMustang,ā€ without the need to clarify ā€œelectricā€ or add the words ā€œMach Eā€ to the end.

But you will confuse people if you do.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
People have tried to make this point multiple times like itā€™s a mic drop.

Having something in your name doesnā€™t make you that thing.

Green beans arenā€™t beans
White chocolate isnā€™t chocolate
Strawberries arenā€™t berries

The Mach E is part of the ā€œMustang family,ā€ but itā€™s more of a cousin. It isnā€™t a ā€œMustang.ā€

Farley didnā€™t ā€œsuggestā€ it. He straight up stated it.

Yes, itā€™s debatable. Yes itā€™s semantics.

Feel free to tell people you drive a ā€œMustang,ā€ without the need to clarify ā€œelectricā€ or add the words ā€œMach Eā€ to the end.

But you will confuse people if you do.
If your name was John Smith and your brother just went by "Smith", you would both be Smiths. If I called out and said "Smith", John's brother would assume that you are asking him a question but technically they could both answer and both be correct in their assumption. They are both Smiths just like the MME and Coupe are both Mustangs.

I get that point that a Mustang and Mustang Mach E are two different cars but they are in the same family similar to the "Smiths". They are brothers and not cousins. They have the same Dad (Ford Motor Company). Semantics................ ;)

Cousins don't always share the same name but biological brothers (unless they are adopted) (see my birth certificate reference), always have the same last name.

A Boss Mustang is typically called "Boss". Is it too a cousin? :cool:
Sponsored