Fender bender advice: any reason our Mach-E wouldn't be driveable?

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue 4x Extended
Country flag
Minor-ish fender bender yesterday. Our Mach-E was second in line behind a car at a red light. Light turns green, someone ran the red on the other side and sideswiped the car in front of ours, which spun and then hit our front bumper. Nobody was hurt, thankfully.

The headlight seems to have "receded" from the front plates/bumper and there is a sizable but not huge hole punched out of the front panels as well. It will probably require a fair amount of replacement parts despite the seemingly small impact. Not worried about that too much, it will get patched up.

I am just wondering if it's OK to drive around town until we can get an estimate. Repair shops here aren't taking new work until mid-January. My concern is that snow/water will get into the saggy headlight and make things worseā€”that headlamp is working fine but is probably a bit off-kilter. Just don't want to make anything worse.

No faults or alerts at all. I haven't tried charging yet but car runs fine. Thoughts on driving it?

IMG_1215.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If there are no warnings / alerts, I would drive it, but locally only. A good shop does estimates all the time, they have "estimators".

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You need to get an estimate or submit pics ASAP to your insurance company if you haven't yet.

If the headlight has a hole in it, it will be replaced anyway. Put a piece of tape over it.

OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Getting the estimate today. I ended up having to drive it over the holidays due to the severe weather and snowstorms here. I had reserved a small SUV for the trip, but when I got to Enterprise the only thing they had available was a Nissan Kicks (had never heard of it before and definitely would not recommend). After a few hours of spinning around in the Kicks, I returned it (worst $8 I ever spent) and got back in the Mach-E. No issues in the snow since I have AWD.

Some guys in front of me at the car rental chose an ICE mustang over a 4WD Titan. Hope they made it to wherever they were going safely!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I drove 3500 miles after hitting a 500 lb deer. Deer did $8700 in damage and it still drove fine.

OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick update on this, we did indeed drive it and it was fineā€”much better than the Nissan Kicks that was our rental option. We had just had a snowstorm here and I returned the Kicks after 24 hours.

Total repair bill came in at just under $5k since they had to do a headlight replacement/calibration, shutter assembly, and some front assembly work. While they were putting everything together they somehow busted the nozzle or nozzle cap that cleans off the front camera, so I had to wait another week or two until that part came in. Not great, but happy it's fixed and back in action. Now I'm hoping my insurance will pursue the at fault parties to get my deductible back (only $500 but still). Thanks for the tips!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Also donā€™t forget to file with the at-fault parties for a Diminished Value claim. šŸ¤”šŸ©
Sponsored