L4z3rUsLOng

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER Prem
Country flag
I guess I'm scratching my head as to a) why you thought this wouldn't work, b) why you thought it necessary to prove to yourself and c)why you then thought it worthy of explaining in detail to us... o_O

Electricity is electricity. If this amperage is there, and there isn't a grounding issue, of course it works. You can also plug it into a Lightning.
I learned something, my travel charger will not work with my generator, so kudos to op.
Sponsored

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Hmm, you sure about that?

This generator that I've used is rated for 6500 watts continuous output (that's 100% power). Charging the Mach-E at 220V and 24A = 5280 watts (81% generator power output).

The generator will run for 10 hours at 50% load, so let's just ballpark it and say at 80% power it would run for 7 hours. Gas tank capacity on it is 6 gallons, so 6 gallons = 7hrs of run time.

At the charge rate that I've observed (12 miles/hr), that yields about 84 miles of range, while burning 6 gallons of fuel. Those numbers translate to around 14mpg (which seems more realistic).

Not great by any means, but this process in itself has a ton of inefficiencies and energy loss.
The MPG you get is going to vary greatly depending on the efficiency of the generator and what mi/kWH you use. Even with your example, If you run at 5.28 kW for 7 hr, that would add 37 kWh. At 4 mi/kwh (which is what I easily get, but some get less), you would add 147 mi, giving 21 MPG.

From the generator in the original post, it consumes .93 gal to produce 6.5 kWH. At 4 mi/kWh, you get 26 miles of range, so 26/.93= 28 mpg.

My 30+MPG was from a larger generator (9.5kw, I believe), so it probably runs more efficiently than a smaller one.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
in 2013, the very first Model S I ever saw was towing a job site diesel generator on a small trailer. I've often wondered if the generator was used to charge the car or if it was being towed for some other reason.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now unfortunately, the Ford mobile charger that comes with the MME will only work on a 50A circuit or higher, so no bueno.
I am not believing the 50A circuit requirement. 1) 120V connector - I don't know of ANY standard 120V outlet that is 50A, 15, 20, 25 yes, 50 NO.

I tested mine on a 40A circuit that my Aerovironment EVSE is using.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am not believing the 50A circuit requirement. 1) 120V connector - I don't know of ANY standard 120V outlet that is 50A, 15, 20, 25 yes, 50 NO.

I tested mine on a 40A circuit that my Aerovironment EVSE is using.
I think he meant the Ford Mobile charger does not have a 30A plug.

aporzio1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT
Country flag
Hmm, you sure about that?

This generator that I've used is rated for 6500 watts continuous output (that's 100% power). Charging the Mach-E at 220V and 24A = 5280 watts (81% generator power output).

The generator will run for 10 hours at 50% load, so let's just ballpark it and say at 80% power it would run for 7 hours. Gas tank capacity on it is 6 gallons, so 6 gallons = 7hrs of run time.

At the charge rate that I've observed (12 miles/hr), that yields about 84 miles of range, while burning 6 gallons of fuel. Those numbers translate to around 14mpg (which seems more realistic).

Not great by any means, but this process in itself has a ton of inefficiencies and energy loss.
14mpg is what I would get on my V8 Mustang.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, for all those V2L fans, when they run down their car batteries after several days of smugly powering their homes from their cars, they can simply recharge their cars using a generator they bought at Home Depot, then continue running their home from their cars?
What am I missing here? 🤔
I just thought of something - if their car is dead, how will they get to the gas station to buy gas for the generator to recharge their car? Uber?

bburk00

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'68 Mustang, 2021 MME FE, 2022 MME GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This works also. Was slower than your results but doesn't require gas as it's powered by solar panels. We've used it to top off while staying at airbnbs that didn't have a plug:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Filling-up Mach-E with gasoline 1673716275568

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting. Moving to a retirement cottage which is under construction. I have a trailer on site with a 30amp with a standard
RV outlet. I have a 30 to 50amp 14-50 plug and was hoping to use it in the interim.
Also have a Grizzly which is new in box and can be throttled back for 30amp but was hoping to use the RV setup for now.
So is it the plug or the Ford Mobile charger that wont work?

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
Interesting. Moving to a retirement cottage which is under construction. I have a trailer on site with a 30amp with a standard
RV outlet. I have a 30 to 50amp 14-50 plug and was hoping to use it in the interim.
Also have a Grizzly which is new in box and can be throttled back for 30amp but was hoping to use the RV setup for now.
So is it the plug or the Ford Mobile charger that wont work?
I’m no expert, but the FORD mobile charger plugged into a 14-50 is going to request 32 amps. I’d expect your 30 amp breaker to pop.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
So the other day, just for sh*ts and giggles, I wanted to see if MME would charge on gas.

I have a Ryobi gasoline generator in my garage which I seldom use. It has a 220V 30A outlet. Now unfortunately, the Ford mobile charger that comes with the MME will only work on a 50A circuit or higher, so no bueno. Luckily, I also have a Tesla mobile charger, which comes with a variety of power connections, and DOES work on anything from 120V -> 220V, (30A and 50A). Thank you Tesla, and Ford - you should be integrating this flexibility into your mobile charger as well.

With that said, once the generator was powered-up, I connected the Tesla mobile charger into the generator's 220V 30A outlet. Now, this being a Tesla mobile charger, the plug wouldn't actually connect to our MME. This is where the Tesla -> CCS adapter comes in handy. Not just for my little experiment, but anytime you're left stranded, and the only charger nearby is a Tesla one.

So on those occasions when power does go out, and you need to charge your MME using a gasoline generator, the process does in fact work. If I had purchased a more powerful generator, it probably would have offered a 220V 50A plug, making this process relatively simpler.

However, make no mistake about it - this is an utterly wasteful (and loud) way of charging your MME. Still, if and when the need arises, the possibility is there. I was able to charge at a 24-amp rate (toughly 12 miles/hr) while annoying the heck out of my neighbors.

Items used:

Ryobi generator Model #RY906500S

NEMA L14-30P to 10-30R 240V 30 Amp adapter

Tesla Mobile Connector

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter

Cheers

Not enough adapters for me :p

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The last time I filled Otto up with gas.

Gas cans for the mower and brush whacker. That is what you meant right?
How did you avoid having ELECTRIC VEHICLE on your license plate? Is the Hōkūle'a plate EV only?