Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
The tongue weight is zero, because tow hitches are not approved by Ford.
Ford doesn’t have to approve tow hitches, just like they don’t need to approve other accessories, so that doesn’t make the tongue weight zero.

I know what you are getting at, Ford has in the manual that the MME (in the US anyway) is not approved for trailer towing. Yet that doesn’t mean it isn’t approved for a tow hitch to attach a bike rack, cargo hauler platform, tow hitch to put a little spinny windmill on it because you like that look, etc. etc.

I do agree though that with how the hitches attach and the US and UK MMEs being similar that the US models likely have the same tongue wait capacity …. Though Ford hasn’t said one way or the other.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Ford doesn’t have to approve tow hitches, just like they don’t need to approve other accessories, so that doesn’t make the tongue weight zero.

I know what you are getting at, Ford has in the manual that the MME (in the US anyway) is not approved for trailer towing. Yet that doesn’t mean it isn’t approved for a tow hitch to attach a bike rack, cargo hauler platform, tow hitch to put a little spinny windmill on it because you like that look, etc. etc.

I do agree though that with how the hitches attach and the US and UK MMEs being similar that the US models likely have the same tongue wait capacity …. Though Ford hasn’t said one way or the other.
The guy was asking for the car's tongue weight. I don't know how you can answer with anything other than zero when Ford does not include tow hitch capability in North America.

I put this hitch on my car and it can definitely hold 4 bikes. But that is just my opinion.

This tow hitch doesn't install like the Ford EU version does. Therefore the EU hitch ratings are irrelevant.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
The guy was asking for the car's tongue weight. I don't know how you can answer with anything other than zero when Ford does not include tow hitch capability in North America.

I put this hitch on my car and it can definitely hold 4 bikes. But that is just my opinion.

This tow hitch doesn't install like the Ford EU version does. Therefore the EU hitch ratings are irrelevant.
The better answer than 0 is in the US Ford doesn’t list tongue weight so nobody knows for sure what It would be….specifying any number, including 0, is just a wild guess.

Ford says towing a trailer is not approved, not that one can’t use the existing bolt holes for a hitch at all and that there is no tongue weight capacity. They don’t list other weight capacity of other elements of the car either and they are not 0.

And come on, I need my little swirly fan that spins around back there, it is only a few ounces. Can’t I have that? Or a glow light that lights up FORD??

I didn’t realize the Ford EU tow bar used something other than the bolt holes to attach. By the looks of it on https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/mustang-mach-e-detachable-tow-bar-09-2020 it uses 4 as well,, though that tow bar looks funky.

Edit: And yeah I know it is funky so they don’t have to cut the bumper fascia, neat idea but looks like it likely reduces weight capacity quite a bit. So I should have said similar before and not same, but at least it is a starting point.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Hi - I have been trying to understand one thing...

I know that this hitch has a high enough tongue weight to support my bike rack and 4 bikes, but everything I check says that if the car's tongue weight is lower, it doesnt matter what the hitch tongue weight is...it wont be safe to exceed the car tongue weight.

I have not been able to find information anywhere about the US Mach-e tongue weight and whether I can rely on the hitch tongue weight, or whether the car tongue weight is too low to support those bikes?

Thanks
In Europe the vertical load limit is 75 kg / 165 lb. That's what I would go with for a bike rack limit. Similar on Teslas.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I didn’t realize the Ford EU tow bar used something other than the bolt holes to attach. By the looks of it on https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/mustang-mach-e-detachable-tow-bar-09-2020 it uses 4 as well,, though that tow bar looks funky.

Edit: And yeah I know it is funky so they don’t have to cut the bumper fascia, neat idea but looks like it likely reduces weight capacity quite a bit. So I should have said similar before and not same, but at least it is a starting point.
looks like it uses the same bolts to chassis locations.... but the drop down to below the facia reduces the clearance more than I would like. Also, having a ball hitch only rather than an easy 2" receiver makes it harder to slip in a bike rack.

I'm very happy with the Torklift installation and weight capacity, and don't need the electrical kit for the bike rack.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

I'm very happy with the Torklift installation and weight capacity, and don't need the electrical kit for the bike rack.
Yeah, I think current solutions like the Torklift or Curt would work for us as well, though planning on waiting to see how well Stealth Hitches new model holds up. The ability to remove the 2 inch receiver is nice, and I do wonder/hope if the vertical part of it hangs down far enough to avoid cutting the bumper fascia, but I’m guessing not. Though as you mention, ground clearance will need to be considered as well. https://stealthhitches.com/products...rd~md_mustang-mach-e#installationandoperation

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yeah, I think current solutions like the Torklift or Curt would work for us as well, though planning on waiting to see how well Stealth Hitches new model holds up. The ability to remove the 2 inch receiver is nice, and I do wonder/hope if the vertical part of it hangs down far enough to avoid cutting the bumper fascia, but I’m guessing not. Though as you mention, ground clearance will need to be considered as well. https://stealthhitches.com/products...rd~md_mustang-mach-e#installationandoperation
cutting a slot in the bumper facia is super easy and the hitch receiver give opportunities for fun covers....

094 installed rcvr only.jpg

095 with cover.jpg

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just need someone to make a hitch receiver that looks like an exhaust tip :D
yeah, and then put a speaker in the tip with the 'sampled' exhaust notes of your choice.... ohhhhh and tied to the motor RPM or torque sensors!

dram

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Outback
Country flag
I managed to install the eco hitch on my Mach E without lifting the car. I cut the bumper using a Dremel. The four bolts threaded through head first using the wire. Lifting the hitch with my floor jack worked pretty well.

6F2BBF7A-3262-4630-8C81-714AFA669FB0.jpeg
Sponsored