Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
20211129_104612.jpg

My install. I have a small trailer and did a dump run. I don't have trailer lights figured out yet though.
lights could be a bit of a challenge since the MME tailights are LED and are fused for very low current. There is no super easy access to the wiring harness, so .... if you do take it on, be sure to post a thread in the DIY forum on how you get it done!

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
lights could be a bit of a challenge since the MME tailights are LED and are fused for very low current. There is no super easy access to the wiring harness, so .... if you do take it on, be sure to post a thread in the DIY forum on how you get it done!
I was hoping someone got the CAN bus lighting harness from England or Europe and worked it out.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I was hoping someone got the CAN bus lighting harness from England or Europe and worked it out.
How hard was the install for you to do?

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
How hard was the install for you to do?
Took a few hours and needed my oldest kid to help lift it into place. It's very doable. About a four on a one to ten scale. Head gasket on an older car being a ten.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Took a few hours and needed my oldest kid to help lift it into place. It's very doable. About a four on a one to ten scale. Head gasket on an older car being a ten.
Did you need to jack up the car to have room to work on it?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
@mikeho I installed this hitch last weekend. It was an easy install and looks great. One of the reasons I went with the Eco-Hitch is that once installed there is no hole left on the underside. Yes, it is somewhat visible from the rear. But, since the hitch is black and the rear valance is black, it does blend in pretty well. There is also no affect on ground clearance since the hitch is higher than the lowest point.
Hitch - 3.jpg
Hitch - underneath.jpg
With the stealth hitch, you are left with a large hole in the underside unless you fabricate a panel to use when you don't have the receiver in place.

The hitch is rated for a tongue weight of 530 lbs. That is more than sufficient for a 4-bike rack or a box. I'm using mine to hold a 2-bike platform rack. While they rate it with a towing capacity, there's no wiring for lights and Ford doesn't want those of us in the US towing.
In your post you mentioned "the stealth hitch" - sorry if I was confused, but is the Eco-Hitch a self hitch that is reasonably hidden underneath, or is there a separate stealth option?
I have always had hitches on my SUVs but this car is so beautiful I want to make sure I dont end up with something that sticks out in an unseemly way...

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag
Is there a reason one couldn't order the hitch, module, and connector from the UK and install them on a US car?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is there a reason one couldn't order the hitch, module, and connector from the UK and install them on a US car?
The US frames lack the attachment points.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The US frames lack the attachment points.
And the towing capacity and tongue weight of the EU hitch are much lower than the EcoHitch. I know, the MME USA version technically has no towing capacity, but the EcoHitch itself is very robust. Have you seen that pathetic EU one?

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
Hi - I have been trying to understand one thing...

I know that this hitch has a high enough tongue weight to support my bike rack and 4 bikes, but everything I check says that if the car's tongue weight is lower, it doesnt matter what the hitch tongue weight is...it wont be safe to exceed the car tongue weight.

I have not been able to find information anywhere about the US Mach-e tongue weight and whether I can rely on the hitch tongue weight, or whether the car tongue weight is too low to support those bikes?

Thanks

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi - I have been trying to understand one thing...

I know that this hitch has a high enough tongue weight to support my bike rack and 4 bikes, but everything I check says that if the car's tongue weight is lower, it doesnt matter what the hitch tongue weight is...it wont be safe to exceed the car tongue weight.

I have not been able to find information anywhere about the US Mach-e tongue weight and whether I can rely on the hitch tongue weight, or whether the car tongue weight is too low to support those bikes?

Thanks
The tongue weight is zero, because tow hitches are not approved by Ford.

However, if you examine how the hitch is attached, there is no reason to worry IMO. It is very robust and people have towed trailers with it. I am not going to do that, but four bikes should be no problem.
Sponsored