First impressions after a couple of weeks (Premium, RWD, Standard Battery)

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
I picked up my Dark Matter Gray, Premium RWD Standard Battery Mach-E a little less than 2 weeks ago. Here are some of my first impressions after one long-ish drive (70 miles each way) and a lot of short hops.

BlueCruise is awesome, but I have noticed a few oddities.
There are spots on the I-5 where it saw 55MPH signs specifically for trucks and cars with trailers and immediately dropped my speed very quickly (I was going 70 in a 65 and it would drop all the way to 55, which was a shock). I couldn't figure out why it was dropping at first until I saw it do it right at one of those signs. Sometimes it ignored them though.
There are some sweeping curves on the 78 that aren't very sharp at all, but it drops BlueCruise and puts up the "Keep hands on wheel" notice. It does it in the same spots every time. It still handles the turns pretty well without me having to turn the wheel. I guess it just wants the reassurance that my hands are there.

Charging: I had to use the 110v charger for the first week, but fortunately I wasn't driving much. Boy was it slow! Got my Nema 14-50 outlet installed on Monday it it's so much better. Currently using the mobile charger, but I've got a Grizzl-E on the way. Installation of the outlet was only $350. It's inside my garage, right on the opposite side of the wall from the panel.
I've had no problems with setting charging schedules at home, except when I was on the 110v, becuause it couldn't charge within the window.
Haven't had to DC fast charge yet, and I have no idea when I ever will. No long road trips planned anytime soon.

I noticed the same bug that others have where setting a departure time starts the car in the wrong profile. I only have one profile set up (me), but it's not me when I get in the car. Hitting the 1 button on the door switches it to me.

Saw some definite lag right after starting the car. Was trying to set the temperature, and it was being really unresponsive. Tried dragging and clicking the up and down arrows. Eventually it caught up and suddenly processed every input I had made. The temp was shooting up and down until it finally stopped. Very weird.

Android Auto vs Wireless Android Auto vs Bluetooth. This is my first car with Android Auto. My previous one had Bluetooth, but I literally never used it. I'm still not clear on what exactly is going on between all of them. I don't really see any functional difference between wireless and wired Android Auto. I don't know why I would use regular Bluetooth for media (I guess for music apps that aren't integrated with Android Auto?). I know wired can take advantage of the car's Wifi hotspot, but I don't really care. I'm not going to pay for it after the trial expires. Wireless and the charging pad still drains my battery, so I tend to be plugged in anyway.
One kind of annoying thing is that I listened to Pandora once with Android Auto, so now it opens every time I connect to the car. I disabled "Automatically resume media" in the Android Auto app, but it doesn't seem to care. When I get out of the car, Pandora stays open and I have to kill it.
I'm used to Waze, but I like the larger screen of the Sync navigation. Haven't decided which is better, so I kind of alternate.
I drove by 2 schools today and didn't get the School Zone notification. I guess it's off by default now? I know I never touched it, and am not even sure exactly where it is.
I tried GameSnacks and it was pretty lame. Plus it took forever to load. Games that take 2 minutes to load and 30 seconds to play are not really that fun. Interestingly, you can play them on your phone at Gamesnacks.com, and there are more games there and they load really quickly. Much better experience on the phone than on the car screen anyway.

A lot of Sirius XM issues the past few days. I'm going to chalk it up to the issues that everyone seemed to be having this weekend. One issue I still have is that some of my presets have icons for the wrong channels, and I can't get them to go to the right ones. I was paying for a subscription on my old car at full prices (too lazy to call and play the cancel game). I keep getting emails from them to switch the service over. I need to do something about that so I can get a better rate than full price. Thinking about cancelling completely until the trial is up, then I should be able to continue it at a discount.

I've only seen one other Mach-E while on the road with mine. They blew past me on the freeway at night. My wife thought it was Dark Matter Gray like mine, but I thought it might have been Carbonized. It was hard to tell.

I set up PAAK, but I still carry one of the fobs with me. I'm a little paranoid about getting stuck somewhere. Was messing with it in my driveway with just the phone and I was able to get in, but the passcode screen came up. I pressed the Start button a couple of times and it finally started on its own though.

I've got a Viofo A119 dash cam that I plan on installing next week. I'm going to hardwire it. Wish me luck!

My son is obsessed with the frunk. He is 14 and wants to put everything in it. I guess because it's a novelty to him. We put his trumpet in it after band practice the other day just because.

I've got a whole bunch of accessories I want (floor mats, console organizer, license plate frame, etc), but my wife told me to hold off because of Christmas, so I'm expecting some goodies from her this year.

All in all, I absolutely love the car and am so happy I got it.
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Nice summary. I’d encourage you to go with the PAAK. It feels risky the first few times and It’s been aggravating a few times but I’ve always been able to get into the car. I never want a fob again.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nice summary. I’d encourage you to go with the PAAK. It feels risky the first few times and It’s been aggravating a few times but I’ve always been able to get into the car. I never want a fob again.
Me too. I've owned my MME for 7 months and my key fob has been sitting in my bedroom the entire time. The only time I took it out was to take my car to the shop for a tire rotation at 10K miles (easier to give the mechanics a key fob than your cell phone). Yeah, I've had to use my start password a few times, but I've never been stranded.

jddrews

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
I’m three days in with my DMG and I’m loving it. Full on PaaK with no real issues but for a few lags. Nothing to get fussy about. I just had my 14-50 installed last night and I’m charging for the first time. Neither Ford Pass nor the car are recognizing my address though so I haven’t been able to save my home as a charging location yet. I’m sure I’ll get it figured out.

I’ve only been driving it around town for work so far. I’m looking forward to getting it out on some country roads this weekend.
Sponsored