First impressions: some rough bits

EVCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD Std, Cyber Orange
Occupation
(No longer "MachNCheese"! Long live "EVCheese".)
Country flag
I'm using a brand new Premium trim and now about a week in and almost 450 miles later, I'm loving so many aspects. The other day I experienced the auto high beams and that was a feature I didn't know I needed. All the surfaces feel awesome and high quality. Except ...

Can we talk about the turning stalks? Mine have sharp rough edges, and they feel quite flimsy---not solid. I wish for a more sturdy stalk because it would compliment the feel of the rest of the controls. And definitely the finishing of the sharp edges feels like an easy miss.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First impressions: some rough bits IMG_8895
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Now that’s what I call “digging deep to find something wrong.” 😂

You do get points for originality. In two years on the forum never heard this complaint before.

Maybe it’s because I live in Florida and the cars must not be equipped with turn signals here.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I tend to agree that the interior materials and finishes leave a lot to be desired for a car that can easily get into the upper $50K-$60K range. Maybe I'm just out of touch with current car standards.

HOWEVER, if the quality of the stalk is your biggest complaint, you're really going to enjoy the car.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tend to agree that the interior materials and finishes leave a lot to be desired for a car that can easily get into the upper $50K-$60K range. Maybe I'm just out of touch with current car standards.

HOWEVER, if the quality of the stalk is your biggest complaint, you're really going to enjoy the car.
Keep in mind this is a $30-40k car with a $20k battery.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Keep in mind this is a $30-40k car with a $20k battery.
EVs are more like $10K more than ICE counterparts, but point taken.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

You do get points for originality. In two years on the forum never heard this complaint before.

Maybe it’s because I live in Florida and the cars must not be equipped with turn signals here.
Funny enough, the stalk on my Model 3 is one of the biggest annoyances of that car. The seam where the plastic is sealed has developed just enough of a separation that I can feel the edge every time I use the turn signal. It's not that it's a big issue on its own, but feeling it dozens of times each time I drive adds up, and it's every time I drive the car.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Actually several of us have talked about the rough end on the turn signal stalk a few times here. This is just one:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/steering-wheel-buttons-wear.13320/page-2#post-325829

I know some members like myself have lightly sanded the end to make it smooth.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Andy, did you get rid of the OG machncheese? If so, may I ask what were your deciding factors?

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I’ve only been to Florida a few times, but they have turn signals there. They’re always on, making you wonder, mile after mile, how or where the car in the left lane of the freeway is going to turn left. ;)

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually several of us have talked about the rough end on the turn signal stalk a few times here. This is just one:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/steering-wheel-buttons-wear.13320/page-2#post-325829

You made me go and check mine out.

Yup, the bottom corner is rough!

But the way I flip the signal I never touch the end, just the top or bottom so I never noticed.

The way people drive around me, they’ll never notice as their cars don’t come equipped with one I assume.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Indeed. I noticed it right away and have smoothed mine a bit too (with a nail file, if my memory serves). I'll also say that I agree with the OP that it is one of the few glaringly obvious parts that are inferior to the general fit, finish, and materials of the car's interior.
Andy, did you get rid of the OG machncheese? If so, may I ask what were your deciding factors?
That’s not Andy
I did the same double take. I'm also wondering if our dear friend @scoopman will sue for trademark infringement... 🤣

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I noticed that too, they are the same on my mom's 2022 king ranch explore

OP
OP
EVCheese

EVCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD Std, Cyber Orange
Occupation
(No longer "MachNCheese"! Long live "EVCheese".)
Country flag
Indeed. I noticed it right away and have smoothed mine a bit too (with a nail file, if my memory serves). I'll also say that I agree with the OP that it is one of the few glaringly obvious parts that are inferior to the general fit, finish, and materials of the car's interior.

I did the same double take. I'm also wondering if our dear friend @scoopman will sue for trademark infringement... 🤣
Haha. I saw the name somewhere (this forum?) but the system didn't stop me from making a login with the name. :p
Sponsored