Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In 2013 the Ford Cmax came out and had many dead batteries. Later they had to reprogram the cars charging system. I bought the 2014 and have never had a problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Badgeringweasel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camry Hybrid
Country flag
I would fully expect some fit/finish issues but no more than with Tesla which has had more than their share of problems.
I'm getting a little nervous about first model year. I guess we'll see how some of the earlier testers and FE people find their cars. I'm hoping to basically drive this one into the ground, so I definitely don't want to get stuck with something with constant issues like the early Model 3s.

Mach Dad

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I've never owned a Ford, I've had an old boxy Volvo and two Camry's. I've also never bought a new model in its first production year. For those with Fords and especially early adopters, how worried are you about getting the first Mach-E's to roll off the assembly line? Has Ford typically had problems with new models? I'm hoping that with fewer moving parts that the initial problems will be software related and can be fixed via OTAs vs something with the hardware or fit/finish that I will be stuck with.
I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (first year/bought new) and we are replacing it next year with the Mach E GT. The Fusion Hybrid has been one of my best cars. Very few repairs needed in the 10 years. Knock on wood.

Oh and the salesman told me the battery might last 5 years. Still no issues with it after 10.

I also had a 2007 Edge (first year/leased new) and never had a problem with it during the lease of 3 years.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
2017 Bolt EV had minimal issues of any kind. The biggest issue I'm aware of was a sway bar that's been recalled and fixed under warranty.

I have full confidence that Ford will build these cars right from job one.

The risk lies not with the mechanical bits & bobs, nor with the interior. Those things Ford is already good at ( battery and motors are relatively dead-simple ). The real danger is the software. Darren Palmer has said the physical car is easy, it's the software that's hard. That's why he and the team are so excited and proud of the firmware and software in the car. They're not gonna be caught dead in the water like VW's ID.3 program with fields of useless cars featuring no software.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Latest reports all call for delivery of early Mach Es in both Europe and US.

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
Has Ford typically had problems with new models?
I can only talk about the 6th Gen Mustang, but it had a lot of issues in the first model year. Especially the build quality was horrible with bad fitment of a lot of parts like hood and front+fender not lining up at all, crooked installed rear window, flapping hood when driving highway speed, etc.

Even with the 2018 refresh they had some initial problems with breaking manuals and engine ticks

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There is always going to be a risk with a new design, as there will always be at least minor issues from unanticipated behaviors and interactions. Hopefully those don't turn out to be major, but sometimes they are like the transmission of the 2012 focus. Since hope is not a strategy, I suggest leasing your mach e and then deciding whether or not to buy it at lease end. It will cost a little more that way, but at least in the US you get a $7500 discount to be an early adopter. Imho that is the safe hedge against major problems while still getting most of the federal incentive

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I'm hoping any glaring issues will be sorted by the time the GT's roll. Really that is the only good thing about their long wait.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
In 2013 the Ford Cmax came out and had many dead batteries. Later they had to reprogram the cars charging system. I bought the 2014 and have never had a problem.
I want to add some clarification as this sounds more serious than it was. The 12-volt accessory battery was dying. They did an update to increase the charging rate from the high voltage battery to the 12-volt. When the 12-volt dies, the relays can't open to the high voltage, so you can't start the car. I think the cause was mostly related to certain modules not sleeping properly when the battery was draining. My car was one of the first off the line and didn't experience this problem.

RidetheLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1968 Mustang, 2007 Mustang GT
Country flag
It's kinda why I am debating leasing versus purchase. Drive around for a couple years and let them work out the bugs. What is enticing is that 8 year warranty though.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So did Ford with the Focus Electric. Took them a few years to get all the firmware correct on all the modules (about 2014 or so when they had a good flash that fixed 99% of the problems).

RidetheLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1968 Mustang, 2007 Mustang GT
Country flag
The 8 yr is only for the battery system. Rest is 3
Right. That’s what I meant. The battery warranty is ultra important for me as a first time EV owner. The rest I can tune/fix/replace myself after the 3 years.
Sponsored