First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hey guys,

I am going on my first road trip with the MME tomorrow and wanted to make sure I had everything figured out correctly.

it’s a short trip, 200 miles but will stop to charge twice just to end up at the destination with some juice for the weekend.

The first stop is an electrifyamerica station. I setup the Ford plug and charge in the app so I am hoping all I need to do is just that? I have the app downloaded just in case anything goes wrong there.

the second charging station is a welcome center “Greenlots”. I am curious if anything is needed to get that charging with my MME right away as well.

appreciate any insight

thanks
Sponsored

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Charge more than you need at the charger before your destination so you have more battery left to use when you get there. Ask the hotel if there is a place to plug in to charge at night. Many hotels will allow this for guests.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Hey guys,

I am going on my first road trip with the MME tomorrow and wanted to make sure I had everything figured out correctly.

it’s a short trip, 200 miles but will stop to charge twice just to end up at the destination with some juice for the weekend.

The first stop is an electrifyamerica station. I setup the Ford plug and charge in the app so I am hoping all I need to do is just that? I have the app downloaded just in case anything goes wrong there.

the second charging station is a welcome center “Greenlots”. I am curious if anything is needed to get that charging with my MME right away as well.

appreciate any insight

thanks
I've had great luck with P&C working at various ElectrifyAmerica stations. I've only tried one Greenlots and P&C did not work (I had to activate through FordPass).

For the EA stations, my advice would be to use a 350 kW plug, not at 150 kW. On a couple of recent trips, I found that my MME would not charge at anywhere close to 150 kW on a 150 kW plug but would charge at 125 kWish on a 350 kW plug.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There are numerous threads regarding trip strategies. You say you setup P&C in the app, and then downloaded the app?

For a 200 mile drive, unless there is not an EA station near your destination, if you leave with 100% charge you only need to charge once.

Make sure to check out the potential charging locations in Plugshare, because EA won't tell you that their location is a piece of garbage (yes you, Huber Heights, Ohio!).

Make sure you have a backup plan. If you get to the charging location and it just lost power and can't charge, where are you headed next? Local hotel? A car dealer with free charging? A Harley Davidson dealer (they have chargers at most locations)?

What's the speed of the Greenlots charger? If it's not 50kw or higher, you'll be sitting a long time. On the road, we try to use EA locations for the charging speed.

Remember you can charge, via 120v, at your destination and gain ~3 miles per hour. We did that when we stayed at our son's house, and in a few days (4.5?) we were fully charged. Still cheaper than paying on the road.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've had great luck with P&C working at various ElectrifyAmerica stations. I've only tried one Greenlots and P&C did not work (I had to activate through FordPass).

For the EA stations, my advice would be to use a 350 kW plug, not at 150 kW. On a couple of recent trips, I found that my MME would not charge at anywhere close to 150 kW on a 150 kW plug but would charge at 125 kWish on a 350 kW plug.
If you are not getting close to 150 kWh on the 150 kWh chargers you should have reported that to EA. Something is wrong with those stations.

I have used many 150 kWh chargers and my car pulled 156 kW rate through the first 20% of the charge. After that is slowly dropped to 90 kW. Same performance I got on the 350 kWh chargers.

ocdxfv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, Toyota Rav4 EV
Occupation
Retired radiology tech
Country flag
Get the PlugShare app and check the comments on the places you want to charge. That may save you some grief if a place has a bad history. My car (Rwd, Std battery) gets around 250 miles to a full charge. Consider charging once at or near your final location, charge to 100% at your final location (if you can), and you shouldn't need to charge at all on the return.
Sponsored