Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
In the past (for my Edge) I used a piece of insulation foam for an a/c line and I hot glued it to the support bar across the inside of the garage door where the hatch would hit the garage door. Just in case the door would come up and hit it. Apparently the hatch door on the MME opens higher than the other Fords. Don't have my MME yet so this is not tested. Thoughts ?
I’m gonna do this to my garage door this weekend. I love this idea. I’ve had a couple close calls, even after adjusting my 2019 Edge foot height! Thanks for sharing!!!
Sponsored

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Happened to me. I only figured out after the fact that you can program the trunk to open and stop at a preset height instead of opening all the way.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Unfortunately the hatch opening on its own, particularly in garages, seems to be an unfortunate bug in this car.

See here. https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...wn-and-hit-the-garage-door-come-on-ford.5149/

Were you near the car when it happened? Like within range that swiping your foot would have triggered it.
garage is on other side of the wall where I work on the computer. I wasn’t near it. I did have the fob in my pocket. Personally I think it just got pressed in my pocket

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
the stuff is really thick -- I'm mostly concerned with the metal hinges on my garage door which probably are what does the damage on the poor cars I've seen pictures of. This foam is thicker than my hinges and so will probably contact the hatch before it hits the metal hinges (or so I think -- need my car to get here from Kansas to test this out)

Ford Mustang Mach-E FML! Almost sick about it! IMG_20211006_175817

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
garage is on other side of the wall where I work on the computer. I wasn’t near it. I did have the fob in my pocket. Personally I think it just got pressed in my pocket
That’s probably close enough. I have PAAK and I was upstairs above the car in my living room and the tailgate opened on its own.

Left my phone upstairs and went down to the garage. I was able to get the foot swipe to work.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ummmm.. There have been MANY people reporting their trunks opening up with no interaction from them what so ever. So its very possible that the trunk just opened up on its own, or maybe a rat ran across your garage floor and set it off.

Pretty shitty given this issue seems to be a flaw in the build and is costing people $1,000 bucks to fix...
??? This dude just said OP has rats in his garage. You gonna take that, OP? ?

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
So I work from home. This means my car is in the garage while I work. Apparently at some point the fob in my pocket triggered my trunk to open.

some of you probably already know where this is going…

The trunk opened up against the backside of the garage door and I was left with this.

now I wait for the body shop to call and give me a quote on fixing it.

My wife on the other hand is finally able to drive my baby. She said given how much I baby this car she wasn’t gonna drive it until I got my first scratch on it.

learn from my experience and just park your car inside your living room and away from the garage door.
Maybe your wife found a way to open it, get a ding, and now *poof" she can drive it ;)

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Whaaat! That's awesome. When you say button on the inside, what button is that?
The button on the back of the hatch that you use to close the hatch, this has pretty much been standard practice for most electric hatches for a while.

Open the hatch, then just move it to the desired height you want it to stop at then hold down the close hatch button until you get a beep or some other notification. Now when the hatch opens it will stop at this height, just repeat the process if at a later date you need the hatch to stop at a different height.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
So I work from home. This means my car is in the garage while I work. Apparently at some point the fob in my pocket triggered my trunk to open.

some of you probably already know where this is going…

The trunk opened up against the backside of the garage door and I was left with this.

now I wait for the body shop to call and give me a quote on fixing it.

My wife on the other hand is finally able to drive my baby. She said given how much I baby this car she wasn’t gonna drive it until I got my first scratch on it.

learn from my experience and just park your car inside your living room and away from the garage door.
I have almost the exact same gouge on my trunk, plus a nice little dent and white scratch about 6" in length. And it was definitely my fault, although based on a lack of experience. I've haven't parked my car in a garage in 15 years, and previously only sedans. Well, last month I stayed in an Airbnb in Bend that had a garage, so I figured I'd use it. No issues the first 2 days, but then on check out day I was loading up the trunk and thought I'd open the garage door in preparation for my exit. Big mistake as the mechanism for the garage just screeched it's way along my lift gate ?

Lesson learned I guess, although by the time I park in a garage again it will likely be years and I assume I'll forget this lesson and do it all over again.

StarLog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
First thing I did when I got mine was set the trunk open to a position lower than the highest so it won't hit my garage door. To do so, open the trunk and when it reaches your desired height, hit the button on the inside. That will set it at the new open distance.

Down side -- it's lower than it probably should be, so I've hit my head on it a couple of times while loading or unloading stuff...it's not crazy low, but it's low enough that I'm not used to it yet.
I have a Tesla Model Y, and set the trunk to not hit the garage door, we are to take delivery of my wifes GT this week, (fingerrs crossed). The first thing I will do is set the height. Also. make sure I do not hit my head on the tailgate, as I have done on my Tesla. Thanks for the hint on how to set it.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
People people, after seeing all these threads how have you guys not done what I did and added some foam to the garage door? If mine ever, ever opens accidentally it will hit soft foam pads on the door. No damage.

For example (I'm sure better pricing is available somewhere else): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081PL3HG1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And if you want to cover the "joints" of the garage door, you can also buy a roll of foam to roll along it.
Sponsored