Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Flex, Kia All Electric Nero, Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Firmware Engineer, Technologist
Country flag
Hi,
I had a ford 48A charger installed a while ago. It works fine. I noticed a couple of things:
1) For some reason, my MACH-E appears to not understand that I own one. It's in my Ford App. I have the extended range so when I get around 120 miles of charge left, the car tells me that it has to charge outside my charge time (I have it set to charge from 10PM to 9AM. Lowest Cost). When I change the car it does it within my time selection (Usually done fully charging around 4:30AM. I have the charge station set to 48A). My guess is that the car thinks the I have a lower amperage charger. Any idea how to fix this?
2) Using the Ford App, I select "Your Charge station". When I go into insights, it should show me what day I charged and how many KW I used. The last date it worked was Apr 19,2021-Apr 25,2021. Why is it not showing when I charge any more???

Screenshot_20210714-113550_FordPass.jpg
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
For #1, this is a function the the vehicle, based on its recently observed charge rates at its geographical location, but unrelated to your make/model of charger. For some reason it's thinking the charge rate is lower than 48A. Not sure why.

But as you observed, it's not actually charging until your set time. So maybe you get home, plug in, the vehicle does a quick test of the situation, and decides it can wait until your preferred start time.

For #2, I've not had this issue yet. But what you could try doing is to remove the station in FordPass and then readd it.

I tried that once for a different reason. When I did this, I found that all my charge activity logs were cleared but within a day or so they came back. Maybe it will be the same for you.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I think Ford stopped selling these to resolve an issue with them. Not sure what the issue was, perhaps related?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think Ford stopped selling these to resolve an issue with them. Not sure what the issue was, perhaps related?
No. The units were bricking. (Per the informal dictionary definition of bricking, not the temporary/recoverable sort of situation currently being debated in another thread ?.)

That issue was solved a few months ago (or longer?) via a firmware update and a sticker on the packaging that instructs the installer to connect the unit to WiFi and let it get its first firmware update before connecting it to any vehicle.

OP
OP
Nemshick_s

Nemshick_s

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
1) True. You would think that since the car knows that it's home, it would put 2 and 2 together and know that I'm going to use my 48A charger. I find the warning unnecessary.

2) being the programmer I am, that was my thought process. I did re-install it but it did not help... Let me try it again...

Thanks for your quick response... :)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
1) True. You would think that since the car knows that it's home, it would put 2 and 2 together and know that I'm going to use my 48A charger. I find the warning unnecessary.

2) being the programmer I am, that was my thought process. I did re-install it but it did not help... Let me try it again...

Thanks for your quick response... :)
I have two L2 EVSE units at home (32A and 48A) so I have to plug in before the car knows which one I am using. It does remember the most recent charge rate but unfortunately it isn't location specific, just the last L1/L2 charge rate no matter the location.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Two reasons I wouldn't consider this charger. The first is that it works with Ford's in-vehicle and FordPass software trying to communicate. After 3 years of MyFordMobile, and now 12 days with this, I see that the pleasure continues.

Second reason is that my utility pays a $500 rebate if I install a ChargePoint or a JuiceBox, nothing else. Crazy to buy a $700 48-amp charger and not get $500 back...

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Two reasons I wouldn't consider this charger. The first is that it works with Ford's in-vehicle and FordPass software trying to communicate. After 3 years of MyFordMobile, and now 12 days with this, I see that the pleasure continues.

Second reason is that my utility pays a $500 rebate if I install a ChargePoint or a JuiceBox, nothing else. Crazy to buy a $700 48-amp charger and not get $500 back...

Be glad your utility offers anything at all. I called mine and they said "Electric what? Car charger? No."

OP
OP
Nemshick_s

Nemshick_s

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Charger works fine. Since This is Ford's first attempt at a charging station, I would expect glitches... My Wife's Kia Nero All Electric charges fine also...

FYI, I only charge my car with my Ford 48Amp charger. So it appears, at least for my car, it does not appear to remember my charge station.

I did look at other chargers. I wanted a 48Amp version. Just like my neighbor's Tesla charger... :)
I also wanted it to charge in less than 8hrs...

And being in California does have it's advantages...

OP
OP
Nemshick_s

Nemshick_s

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh... Question: How do you remove a charge station in Ford Pass. I don't see any way to delete my current one...

OP
OP
Nemshick_s

Nemshick_s

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thank you very much... :)

wonderchemist

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E
Country flag
I’ve ‘fixed’ #1 by deleting my home charging location, plugging it in (so it starts charging) and then re-adding the location and times.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I've had the Ford Connected Charger for a month now. I have no issues with it but no experience with any other chargers. My Utility in CA gave me $500 rebate. Today I received a notification for update 1.2.2.

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
I’ve ‘fixed’ #1 by deleting my home charging location, plugging it in (so it starts charging) and then re-adding the location and times.
From the car or from FordPass or both?
Sponsored