JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah, that's it. But the off peak rate per kWh is around $0.08, so that's a bonus.

You could qualify for a $500 DTE rebate if you:
  • Purchase or lease an EV
  • Install a qualified Level 2 charger
  • Enroll in a year-round time-of-use (TOU) rate
1586198857485.png

1586198944402.png

https://newlook.dteenergy.com/wps/w.../residential/electric/pev/pev-res-charge-frwd
Actually, OFF peak is $0.02/kWh.

Here is my last EV bill (which ended 3/20--right about the start of this whole virus madness) so it includes about 900 miles of driving or so:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E Annotation 2020-04-06 170313

This is for the Bolt in winter--I'd expect the Mach-E to be a little higher as it doesn't appear to be as efficient as the Bolt.

Note the distribution charges: they will get you ! LOL
Sponsored

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07’ Mustang, 65’ Mustang, YZF R3
Country flag
It’s generally accepted that any charges based on your KWH usage should be included when stating the local rate. Hence his use of 8 cents off peak.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Actually, OFF peak is $0.02/kWh.

Here is my last EV bill (which ended 3/20--right about the start of this whole virus madness) so it includes about 900 miles of driving or so:
Annotation 2020-04-06 170313.jpg

This is for the Bolt in winter--I'd expect the Mach-E to be a little higher as it doesn't appear to be as efficient as the Bolt.

Note the distribution charges: they will get you ! LOL
I was adding the $0.02 + $0.06 ---- but it looks like it's closer to $0.12 per kWh total all in. Very interesting, thanks!!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
From Ford's media site.....

"New Ford all-electric vehicles will come standard with a Ford Mobile Charger that can charge regardless of outlet power (120 and 240 volt outlets): For those with longer commutes or who want greater peace of mind, a Ford Connectd Charge Station can fully power a vehicle overnight while they sleep."

So my wife and I discussed this last night since we need to decide if we are going to want to purchase the 48 amp station. First, I would like to clarify a few things for those that are new to EVs. (veterans can skip these comments since you already know all this stuff by now....)

These things are not chargers, they are power supply stations. EVSE is the technical name and stands for Electric Vehicle Service Equipment. It's important to remember that the charger is located in the car so the EVSE device provides electrical power to and communicates with the on board charger located in the car.

I think Ford's description of the 48 amp device is very well named. However, even the 32 amp power supply that comes with the car is connected so don't get confused thinking you need the 48 amp device just for that feature alone. Secondly, BOTH devices will allow your car to charge overnight. It just takes longer when using the 32 amp supply station.

I was at the dealership this past weekend making my appointment with the sales manager for later in the week and there was another person there with an MME reservation number and asked me about the two power station options that Ford provides. I advised based on my personal experience and I believe the information was useful and well received so I will do my best to post my thoughts here in case there are others with the same general questions.

1. "How long does it take to charge the car?" depends on how depleted the battery is at the time charging starts and the amount and type of power supplied to the vehicle.
  2. The EVSE power supply provided by Ford that comes with the car is able to supply up to 32 amps of power for EACH of it's two power feed wires. This is a VERY good thing that Ford is including as part of the purchase of the vehicle. (Earlier Ford electric vehicles only came with a Level 1 power supply and it only provided up to 16 amps of power on one line.) This means Ford is including a power supply device that is more than adequate for almost everyone's home charging needs.
  3. The 32 amp device that comes with the MME allows the vehicle to store about 6 miles of range per hour when using a 3 prong outlet (120v) and 22 of range per hour when using a 4 prong 240v outlet. If you have an electric clothes dryer in or near your garage then it is very likely the provided 32 amp device will be able to plug right into that outlet and allow your car to charge on the first day you take delivery of the vehicle.
  4. The available 48 amp device can allow your vehicle to store about 32 miles of range per hour and is almost certainly hard-wired directly to your breaker panel. I think it's possible to install an outlet and plug but not really recommended in my opinion. If your electrical distribution panel is near where you plan to park your vehicle, it has sufficient size to handle 2 additional lines of 48 amp feed lines AND has available space for a double pole breaker then you may be able to use this device. If your panel is remotely located from where you are parking the vehicle, then expect to spend quite a bit for a certified electrician to run the power conduit and conductors necessary to power this unit. It can get very expensive very fast. Just an FYI....
  5. If you don't own your own home/residence then I would NOT recommend the purchase of the 48 amp device. Same goes if you are planning to relocate in the near future. The cost to install this device could be wasted UNLESS you have a situation where you are able to install the device in very close proximity to your distribution panel. Situations vary so you will have to judge this for yourself or get some professional advice.
  6. The 32 amp device if more flexible, easier to install and thus will cost less to run the conduit, wire and outlet compared to the 48 amp unit (all else being equal). The 32 amp device can also travel with you so if you visit your in-laws for the weekend it is possible that will plug into their exiting electric clothes dryer outlet if they have one available. Nice feature so keep that with you when leaving town for some "just in case" peace of mind.
  7. If you are planning on charging your vehicle during OFF PEAK hours then you need to contact your utility company and figure out what time frames that is. For most areas, it's around midnight to 5 am but it will vary. So, this means if you only charge during off peak and use the 32 amp device then you will be fully charged up by 5 am provided you needed less than about 110 miles of range to reach 100% state of charge. If you depleted the battery more than that AND you set a Go Time then your vehicle will figure out if it needs to charge before or after the off peak time frame in order to achieve your desired state of charge. All of which you are able to set and control via phone app or in car controls.
  8. If you have the 48 amp device for the same situation as #7 then you can replenish about 160 miles of range in that same 5 hours of off peak charging. Off Peak rates can be MUCH less expensive than peak rates so it is very possible to save costs or at least cover the cost of the 48 amp connected station and installation if you feel you will be driving more than 160 miles of range per day. This is not very common at all....but only you know your own driving history so you will have to make this decision for yourself.
  9. If you get the standard range battery then the 32 amp device will need about 10 hours for the vehicle to fully recharge from near empty to full. The 48 amp device will do the same in about 7 hours.
  10. If you get the extended range battery than the 32 amp device will need about 13 hours from near empty to full while the 48 amp device will do that same job in about 9 hours.
  11. I believe the provided 32 amp device will meet the needs of the majority of MME owners provided they have or install a suitable 240v outlet. Level 2 power allows the vehicle to thermally manage the battery pack while parked (even when not charging), allows advantage of off peak rates and allows for more effective cabin per-conditioning in very warm or very cool ambient temperatures.

My $0.02....
I hope someone finds this information useful. Happy EV motoring! :)

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The available 48 amp device can allow your vehicle to store about 32 miles of range per hour and is almost certainly hard-wired directly to your breaker panel. I think it's possible to install an outlet and plug but not really recommended in my opinion. If your electrical distribution panel is near where you plan to park your vehicle, it has sufficient size to handle 2 additional lines of 48 amp feed lines AND has available space for a double pole breaker then you may be able to use this device. If your panel is remotely located from where you are parking the vehicle, then expect to spend quite a bit for a certified electrician to run the power conduit and conductors necessary to power this unit. It can get very expensive very fast. Just an FYI....
Just a reminder, your service panel will need a 60 amp service to run a 48 amp charger. Continuous draw devices can only operate at up to 80% of the service limit. The 48 amp unit is designed to hit at sweet spot as 60*.8=48.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just a reminder, your service panel will need a 60 amp service to run a 48 amp charger. Continuous draw devices can only operate at up to 80% of the service limit. The 48 amp unit is designed to hit at sweet spot as 60*.8=48.
Correct. Larger breaker and larger wire to handle the extra current draw. The situation gets more extreme (expensive) the further away the device is located from the distribution (breaker) panel. This applies to both EVSE devices but is more expensive with the higher amp device all else being equal.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Correct but incorrect. You derated it at 20% correct. But this is a continuous load (more than 3 hrs)
so you must rate wiring install 125%. Or use a 100% breaker rather than a 80% breaker.

clearing-confusion-80-vs-100-rated-circuit-breakers

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Correct but incorrect. You derated it at 20% correct. But this is a continuous load (more than 3 hrs)
so you must rate wiring install 125%. Or use a 100% breaker rather than a 80% breaker.

clearing-confusion-80-vs-100-rated-circuit-breakers
Thanks @Sweetwater. This is your area of expertise, not mine. I wouldn't be surprised if I misspoke but I don't see where except that I was expressing it in terms of the amount of continuous load that can go on a circuit instead of the circuit needed for a continuous load.

In agreement with the link you provided (thanks!), a 48 amp charger like the Ford Connected Charge Station would requite a circuit at 125% of the continuous load. That means:
48 * 1.25 = 60

Wouldn't that also mean that the continuous load capacity of a standard (non-continuous) circuit breaker would be 80% of the rated capacity?
60 * 0.8 = 48

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Thanks @Sweetwater. This is your area of expertise, not mine. I wouldn't be surprised if I misspoke but I don't see where except that I was expressing it in terms of the amount of continuous load that can go on a circuit instead of the circuit needed for a continuous load.

In agreement with the link you provided (thanks!), a 48 amp charger like the Ford Connected Charge Station would requite a circuit at 125% of the continuous load. That means:
48 * 1.25 = 60

Wouldn't that also mean that the continuous load capacity of a standard (non-continuous) circuit breaker would be 80% of the rated capacity?
60 * 0.8 = 48
I just plan on hiring an electrician - ha

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Agreed. The bigger question is how many charging parameters are controllable via the MMEs onboard interface and App. If the car and app provide sufficient control then it will reduce folks' need (or desire) for more complex, highly controllable chargers
And cord length

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Dryer outlets in North America are generally 30A, not the 40A or greater required to safely use the mobile charger at its full capacity. So you'd want to make sure you limit charging current to 24A if you're using a dryer outlet.

I'm still waiting to see what information Ford makes available about the mobile charger. I'd like to know if they'll supply or sell various adapters to safely connect the mobile charger to a variety of outlets. Tesla sells them for their mobile charger. Seems like a great idea!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I just plan on hiring an electrician - ha
I did for the charger for our Leaf! Having an electrician do the job right is safe and much easier come inspection time. Maryland also provided rebates for the EVSE and the installation.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yes confusing when it gets so close to what you can do.
Hire an electrician. Save your invoice for insurance.
I'm gettin too old to know all the new code. And do not forget
local codes. Local code must follow NEC code but they can also
supersede the code.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Dryer outlets in North America are generally 30A, not the 40A or greater required to safely use the mobile charger at its full capacity. So you'd want to make sure you limit charging current to 24A if you're using a dryer outlet.

I'm still waiting to see what information Ford makes available about the mobile charger. I'd like to know if they'll supply or sell various adapters to safely connect the mobile charger to a variety of outlets. Tesla sells them for their mobile charger. Seems like a great idea!
Ebay, trailer businesses often have what is needed.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Ahhhhh yes we all want the wiring and circuit complete ASAP. Please list
the plug type and correct amps so I can get this done !!!
Fact is we do not know any of this at this time. We have 22 pages here and
still do not know the specs. I enjoy all the posts and we have learned a lot .
I can and must wait. The install we all want can be done in 1/2 day as long
as we have the correct info.
Sponsored