JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You need to buy the set of two from Clipper Creek for circuit sharing. I can buy the Jiuce Box for my other EVSE circuit and then add another Juice Box later if I need to.

I'm keeping the EV that I have and plan to buy another. Later there could be a third one.
Not according to the link I posted: Its just one unit with two J1772 cables coming out of it.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Not according to the link I posted: Its just one unit with two J1772 cables coming out of it.
Yes, this is different than their other dual charger. Its the price of two Juice Boxes also. Depends if I actually need a dual charger on that line. Juice Box has more features but Clipper Creek has fewer complaints.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes, this is different than their other dual charger. Its the price of two Juice Boxes also. Depends if I actually need a dual charger on that line. Juice Box has more features but Clipper Creek has fewer complaints.
I kind of have both: I have a portable Clipper Creek charger (The LCS-20 I think) and I have the first version of the JuiceBox. Of course I don't have any dual head EVSE's as we've never needed the ability to charge two at once.

I have no complaints about either--they both charge the car satifactorily.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This may be our first glimpse of the bundled Ford mobile charger. I'd like to know if Ford will make available additional adapters to suit the different types of wall receptacles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E 20200317 Ford mobile charger

This screen grab is from the video shared here.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, the portable charger will have 110 and 220 connectors.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Everyone is shopping chargers. Does anyone have info from Ford about
what chargers they will allow ? Again do not assume anything. The batteries
have a great warranty and Ford may look at any way to get out of it if need be.
I still do not understand WHY shop for a cheeper charger when you are able
to buy a 40K to 60K MME ? Knock yourself out I will only use Ford Charger.
And the Mach-e comes with a charger. Unless it proves to be woefully insufficient for some reason (highly unlikely), I can't imagine going out and buying one.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
And the Mach-e comes with a charger. Unless it proves to be woefully insufficient for some reason (highly unlikely), I can't imagine going out and buying one.
I thought the same thing. But with further research I found my local utility (Detroit Edison) has a $500 rebate for particular plug-in wall hanging units.

Since I have to have a 14-50 plug installed anyway to use the mobile EVSC Ford provides or a plug-in wall hanging unit. The aftermarket wall units that DTE will provide a rebate for are in the $600 range. That works out that I can get an aftermarket wall mounted unit for an approximate net cost of $100 (excluding the wiring and plug install). The Ford hardwired wall mounted unit is probably going to be in the $750+ range (and no rebate) so that is probably out of the running cost wise.

With this plan I could keep the provided portable EVSC in the vehicle.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This may be our first glimpse of the bundled Ford mobile charger. I'd like to know if Ford will make available additional adapters to suit the different types of wall receptacles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E 20200317 Ford mobile charger

This screen grab is from the video shared here.
That looks like a drawing rather than a real picture. But I expect it will look something like that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
from https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/mach-e-faq/
8. How can I charge my Mustang Mach-E at home?
Most charging is done at home. Your vehicle is equipped with a Ford Mobile Charger that is estimated to add an average range of 22 miles per charging hour through a 240V outlet.⁶ The same Ford Mobile Charger is estimated to add an average range of three miles per charging hour on a 120V outlet and you can plug in just about anywhere.⁶ For a faster home charge rate,⁷ Ford recommends the available Ford Connected Charge Station that is wifi-enabled adding an estimated average range of 32 miles per charging hour through a 240V outlet for a full charge overnight.⁶ You will be able to finance the Connected Charge Station at time of vehicle purchase. In the US, Ford offers a program with Amazon that makes home installation of a 240V outlet easy and convenient.

With a 240v 40-amp outlet near your Mach E, a 22 mile per charger may suffice for most overnight charging. However, it won't be sufficient for many needs. a 10%-80% charge could take quite some time. Of course, we won't know until we see the actual charging curves on the MME and the included charging units.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
from https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/mach-e-faq/
8. How can I charge my Mustang Mach-E at home?
Most charging is done at home. Your vehicle is equipped with a Ford Mobile Charger that is estimated to add an average range of 22 miles per charging hour through a 240V outlet.⁶ The same Ford Mobile Charger is estimated to add an average range of three miles per charging hour on a 120V outlet and you can plug in just about anywhere.⁶ For a faster home charge rate,⁷ Ford recommends the available Ford Connected Charge Station that is wifi-enabled adding an estimated average range of 32 miles per charging hour through a 240V outlet for a full charge overnight.⁶ You will be able to finance the Connected Charge Station at time of vehicle purchase. In the US, Ford offers a program with Amazon that makes home installation of a 240V outlet easy and convenient.

With a 240v 40-amp outlet near your Mach E, a 22 mile per charger may suffice for most overnight charging. However, it won't be sufficient for many needs. a 10%-80% charge could take quite some time. Of course, we won't know until we see the actual charging curves on the MME and the included charging units.
There's probably some for which 22 miles/hour for overnight charging is insufficient, but I gotta think that % of people is very small. That's a 70% charge in under 10 hours. Nearly everyone is home for at least 10 hours nearly every night (probably closer to 14 hours for a typical working person).

Plus, few people are going to burn through 70% of their battery every day. Meaning they're usually going to be starting with more than 10% battery when they get home. Most people probably only really need to add around 30-50 miles back on each day, which is less than 3 hours on the Ford Mobile Charger.

But of course there's always exception to all that. Some have a very long daily commute, or only want to charge a few times/week, or live in very cold climates where those numbers stretch out longer. Still though, for a large majority of drivers, 22 miles/hr home overnight charging should be more than sufficient.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Agreed. The bigger question is how many charging parameters are controllable via the MMEs onboard interface and App. If the car and app provide sufficient control then it will reduce folks' need (or desire) for more complex, highly controllable chargers

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed. The bigger question is how many charging parameters are controllable via the MMEs onboard interface and App. If the car and app provide sufficient control then it will reduce folks' need (or desire) for more complex, highly controllable chargers
Good point. I would hope the typical stuff would be configurable. I'd be shocked if it wasn't. But there's probably more advanced stuff that the fancier chargers can do.

I'm also heard some say they want to keep the included charger stored in the car in case they find themselves out on the road and need to just plug into an outlet somewhere. I guess that makes sense as it would be a pain to keep throwing it in the frunk every day.

But at $500+ to buy another one just for that convenience, not sure I'll be doing it. ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Time will tell if this is 22mph or a slightly higher number for mile gained.
True. Any number that converts it to "miles" is a product of the assumed efficiency of the vehicle, which (a) could be off until actually proven, and (b) will still vary greatly depending on driving and environmental conditions.

More accurate would be to use units of kWh added per hour. But that doesn't mean a lot to the average person. At least yet anyway.
Sponsored