Mohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang, Hyundai santa FE
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
PHEV and BEV batteries are separate. Ford has separate vendors for both. BEV are more reliable.
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Best think of it as less phev sales eating into the future mach-e sales tax credits, silver lining and all that.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I admit too I am a bit squeamish about pouch batteries,
Why? I've tried to figure out the advantage/disadvantage of pouch vs cylinder. All I've come up with in research is the cylinder gives you more flexibility in packaging.

Is there some other advantage in cylinder?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Why? I've tried to figure out the advantage/disadvantage of pouch vs cylinder. All I've come up with in research is the cylinder gives you more flexibility in packaging.

Is there some other advantage in cylinder?
Disclaimer; I'm not an expert.

The advantage to cylindrical cells is the strength and stabilitiy of the package, primarily. I believe (could be mis-remembering from either samsung galexy or boeing 787 issues; it's been a while) several LION battery failures have been due to internal swelling during thermal expansion rupturing the package. A cylindrical pressure vessel lacks many of the stress concentrations found in a pouch design.

The packaging advantage actually goes to the pouch; you can shape it however you want to make best use of space.

Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Interesting. I'll have to roll that one around in my head for a while.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Ford has allot of experience here. Escape from 2000's and Fusion and CMaX energi, Focus EV, I'm not to worried, manufacturers of all sorts have things that come up. They'll identify the problem and it will be fixed.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Best think of it as less phev sales eating into the future mach-e sales tax credits, silver lining and all that.
If there's a drop in demand because of battery fire fears, it's probably bleeding into any BEVs too.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does has allot of experience here. Escape from 2000's and Fusion and CMaX energi, Focus EV, I'm not to worried, manufacturers of all sorts have things that come up. They'll identify the problem and it will be fixed.
Sounds like they may already have, given how the have an exact manufacturer date cut-off isolated. Must be a specific part, as the newer ones seem safe.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sounds like they may already have, given how the have an exact manufacturer date cut-off isolated. Must be a specific part, as the newer ones seem safe.
Sort of like when my wife was told not to drive her Pinto until they came up with the fix for an explosion hazard. She drove it anyway.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
We have one of these on order and were given a build date of 8/31. Looks like that probably isn’t going to happen.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
We have one of these on order and were given a build date of 8/31. Looks like that probably isn’t going to happen.
If I understand the issue, it was isolated and corrected in manufacturing. So if you have a future build date, it should still be built with the fix in place. The issue is existing vehicles already sold or in stock.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I read this news at Ford Authority minutes ago. I am worried because I am interested in the Lincoln Corsair PHEV model for my wife who wants a SUV, but she doesn't like the Mustang Mach-E even thogh she drove a 1980 Mustang before. Her taste really changed in 40 years!

Edit: I read the article and if the BECM is the cause of the overheating, as Newbie quoted above, then that may be the true point of origin of the battery fire, since that module is attached to the pack. My EE sense tells me that the cells thenselves are not the cause of any of the fires. The article didn't give details about the "fire" if it just smoke being released, or actual flames. I have seen plenty of overheating conditions where plenty of smoke is released, since for real flames you need combustible material and an ignition.
Sponsored

Last edited: