Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If the Mach-E is too expensive for you for whatever reason, don't buy it. I'm not sure there's a lot of point in debating back and forth if it's "worth" the price or not because it costs what it costs.
I realize now this might be too harsh and I apologize if it is. Just frustrated seeing some of this back and forth. Probably should just go back to pure sh*tposting.
Sponsored

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I realize now this might be too harsh and I apologize if it is. Just frustrated seeing some of this back and forth. Probably should just go back to pure sh*tposting.
Its ok i didnt take it personal. Its not that i find the car too expensive. I want the car to succeed and I want the car pretty bad. Its just mentally trying to justify the big difference in lease price. Its like in order to come close to Teslas lease price id have to put 15k$ down. Obviously this affects the buyback also. Do i really want to do that or just try to negotiate backloading the contract. Because im self employed I have to take all of this into consideration. Being a car guy i dont want the Y but the car is also a tool for my work so financially it has to make sense.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think its fine, although none of the back and forth debates on here will make a difference - it's just a way to kill time and blow off steam until the car starts shipping.

Actually, I am pretty surprised that the bellyaching about the options/lease seems to have made its way back to "the glass house". Well, maybe it did or just @hybrid2bev and others on here showed the bean counters the competition's rates, but it doesn't matter.

Just because I CAN pay Ford's rates, I'd rather the rates were better :)

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You know what i just thought of and i dont know i didnt think of this before. You could actually reduce the price buy making the terms longer. This wouldnt affect the msrp. Lease up to 60months and finance 7yrs like other brands do.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You know what i just thought of and i dont know i didnt think of this before. You could actually reduce the price buy making the terms longer. This wouldnt affect the msrp. Lease up to 60months and finance 7yrs like other brands do.
A 7 year loan on most vehicles is generally a really, really bad decision, although I 100% understand the idea of "that gets me a payment I can afford." The problem ends up being that you are upside-down way longer than you want to be... unless you pay it off or nearly off, you end up rolling negative equity into the next car... and then you're really screwed.

I'm not saying this to imply anyone on here doesn't know that or anything. Just putting it out there because I've seen a bunch of write-ups in the past couple of years (e.g. at Jalopnik), and they all say the same thing.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think its fine, although none of the back and forth debates on here will make a difference - it's just a way to kill time and blow off steam until the car starts shipping.
yeah, I meant to say that too; I'd be surprised if anyone is making the largest or second largest purchase in their life (after a house) based on what a bunch of randos and a Ford employee say on some random web site. At least, I hope not. ?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A 7 year loan on most vehicles is generally a really, really bad decision, although I 100% understand the idea of "that gets me a payment I can afford." The problem ends up being that you are upside-down way longer than you want to be... unless you pay it off or nearly off, you end up rolling negative equity into the next car... and then you're really screwed.

I'm not saying this to imply anyone on here doesn't know that or anything. Just putting it out there because I've seen a bunch of write-ups in the past couple of years (e.g. at Jalopnik), and they all say the same thing.
100% agree but do you think this would apply more, or less to EV's? We see cars from Tesla hold their value. And we see cars like the leaf greatly lose their value.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
100% agree but do you think this would apply more, or less to EV's? We see cars from Tesla hold their value. And we see cars like the leaf greatly lose their value.
I legitimately have no idea. (Going back to the "resale value" thread, where I maintained that no one really knows, because new model...)

I have done multiple 5-year car loans, because "payment," and each time, after about 3-years, I get to the point of "crap... I still owe how much? for how long?" (yes, this is kind of dumb, and it's completely on me, and I admit both those things.) A 7-year loan, where at three years I'd still not even be halfway through? Even at 0%, where it's "free money," that's... rough.

That said, I've never leased a car, even though I've had... 9? 10? .... because it always felt like a long rental instead of "owning" something, which basically, it is. Ford Options being a balloon payment loan is an interesting middle ground cheat because at least it's not "renting" but should give me a lower payment because the end isn't $0, it's more than $0.

anyway sorry this is a lot of words.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it's riskier on a BEV, because they're more likely to improve and obsolete as they age than mostly-static ICE technology.

I think they only reason Tesla's have held resale value better up to now is they've enjoyed a virtual monopoly on the US BEV market. Expensive European luxury models never really sell in big numbers here, and the Kona and Niro are nearly impossible to get outside of CA. That pretty much has left the Bolt and the Leaf, and they're kind of "eh". Thus, Tesla has enjoyed a near monopoly on the BEV market.

But that's about to change, starting with the Mach-E. Followed by the ID.4, the Ariya, and others in the next few years.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I legitimately have no idea. (Going back to the "resale value" thread, where I maintained that no one really knows, because new model...)

I have done multiple 5-year car loans, because "payment," and each time, after about 3-years, I get to the point of "crap... I still owe how much? for how long?" (yes, this is kind of dumb, and it's completely on me, and I admit both those things.) A 7-year loan, where at three years I'd still not even be halfway through? Even at 0%, where it's "free money," that's... rough.

That said, I've never leased a car, even though I've had... 9? 10? .... because it always felt like a long rental instead of "owning" something, which basically, it is. Ford Options being a balloon payment loan is an interesting middle ground cheat because at least it's not "renting" but should give me a lower payment because the end isn't $0, it's more than $0.

No i get ur point, first car i paid cash. Second was a lease takeover which was great until the tranny gave out right after the warranty finished. Otherwise it was one of the best deals ever. Now im in a 7yr loan which i kind of regret, not because of the payment terms but because i drive too much. I should have gone with the lease because I basically do 17000 miles a year. And last i checked thats what forums are for. Words and help.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No i get ur point, first car i paid cash. Second was a lease takeover which was great until the tranny gave out right after the warranty finished. Otherwise it was one of the best deals ever. Now im in a 7yr loan which i kind of regret, not because of the payment terms but because i drive too much. I should have gone with the lease because I basically do 17000 miles a year.
I have no clue what your lease offers looked like, but 17.5K or 20K leases tend to be "meh" because of lower residual at the end. So buying may have made more sense ultimately... ignoring the 7 year bit I mean. ?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All these new cars are made to last 8yrs now. Its the reason im ready to go to an EV like the Mach E. Im hoping this one will last.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I've leased twice, both times because I knew I didn't want to keep the car. Back in 87 when pontiac couldn't give the fiero away I leased one for my then fiancee - good move since the value cratered. The second time was a focus for myself - I needed wheels and was paying my daughter's tuition, so I got the cheapest thing I could find until she was out of school. The lease ended 2 months after she graduated so I got myself my current mustang :)

In this case I want the "out" if batteries progress the way I expect and don't want to be stuck with a horrible resale value.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I've leased twice, both times because I knew I didn't want to keep the car. Back in 87 when pontiac couldn't give the fiero away I leased one for my then fiancee - good move since the value cratered. The second time was a focus for myself - I needed wheels and was paying my daughter's tuition, so I got the cheapest thing I could find until she was out of school. The lease ended 2 months after she graduated so I got myself my current mustang :)

In this case I want the "out" if batteries progress the way I expect and don't want to be stuck with a horrible resale value.
I like leasing because of the opportunity to get the newest tech and a car with less issues. As a business owner leases are easy as tax time to write off. The monthly payments are less, of course long term I probably end up paying more, and I have nothing to show for it at the end. This is why the Options look interesting to me.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
yeah, I meant to say that too; I'd be surprised if anyone is making the largest or second largest purchase in their life (after a house) based on what a bunch of randos and a Ford employee say on some random web site. At least, I hope not. ?
Cars finances are nothing compared to horses. Trying having 2 cutting horses. In the San Francisco Bay Area. Yeah never own anything that eats while you sleep.

Perspective. It can always be worse. ;)
Sponsored