TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
If your Mach-E Reservation page shows a build week, you can likely get your VIN!

NOTE (12/4/2021): Details tool is broken due to Ford API changing.

Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer

It's ugly, there's a few steps to take to get to the data, but at the end you'll be able to get your VIN. I even generate a barcode your FordPass app will accept.

Notes:
You can not use a mobile phone as it requires a browser's development tools.

I wanted to make a site where you can get this information, but without compromising your privacy. No analytics, no third-party CDNs for libraries, no data uploaded from any data you enter. Everything runs locally once you load the page. The site is hosted via AWS CloudFront.

I have a GitHub repo with the code, if you are a front-end developer like me and want to examine or run the code locally. I'm not going to spend much time with support, but will listen to feedback. If you're also a developer, I welcome pull requests as well!

New Feature: Vehicle Order Tracking
If you have your VIN and your order number (the 4-5 digit long one), you can get all the details the Ford Vehicle Order Tracker gives you. You can even bookmark it for later using the "Direct Link" URL.

Backstory:
When my Mach-E order posted a build week, I wanted to find out what my VIN was. After doing some exploring, I discovered that the VIN number is included in the payload! Sadly you can't directly link to the JSON file even when logged in (long story). Otherwise I'd just directly link to that file to copy/paste into the tool.

I could add more details to view, including an image of the car and plan pricing data. I wasn't sure about the interest or the accuracy in exposing that data. Nor did I want to reinvent what's already on the reservation page.
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You win the Internet! (*)

This is really neat. And it confirms that the VIN provided by my dealer matches the one associated with my reservation. (Not that I had any doubt, since my last name is associated with the VIN, but still. Neat!)

Now if you'll please proceed with solving the delivery logistics.

Thank you, also, for considering our data privacy, and for making this open source.

(*) Until 12/15/2020 1100 UTC, when the Internet is taken over by MME reviews.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
When your ship notice posts, see if you can find the rail car number. You can use that to track the status along the way most likely.

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
You win the Internet! (*)

Thank you, also, for considering our data privacy, and for making this open source.
Thank you! I figured I'd whip up the tool in an evening so I could share my findings.

Since the tool requires such a big block of information that may contain personal info, I wanted to make sure there wasn't any shenanigans. Especially as "open developer tools" to a user can mean something nefarious is about to go down.

As for opening the source, it's not like this is a big super secret project. It's providing a functionality that Ford's website could already provide but choose not to. And that it doesn't have to be working on this thing. ;)

When your ship notice posts, see if you can find the rail car number. You can use that to track the status along the way most likely.
Won't be till after February 21st for me. In general if I spot something neat in the data delivered, I'll add to the UI.

If someone reaches this state and feels safe to send me a copy of your data set, I'd do the R&D and see if I can get this thing to display that data. But I understand I'm literally an Internet stranger asking for personal data.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Thank you for sharing the knowledge!

I used the same method (very similar) to get my VIN number last week.

I prepared the steps and accompanied each step with a screenshot. I tried to make a post on this forum. But I kept getting failure when I try to publish, so I gave up. Now I feel ashamed...

Reactions: Nav

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
(This is my version of the steps, which I failed to post last week. Note that they're different from @TheSeg, and are not compatible with the tool provided by him. Hopefully these are helpful to those who have trouble following the text-only instructions on the website.)

Assuming you have access to "reservations & orders" website, you can get your VIN number without having to talk to any one.

I have pictures with each step below. I expect that any one can follow these steps.

The instructions below assumes that you use Chrome. Other browsers will also work, but the exact steps are different. Unless you're familiar with the "developer tools" in your preferred browser, I recommend that you stick to the instructions exactly.

Step 1: log in to your Ford account, and navigate to the following page:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step1

Step 2: open "developer tools"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step2

Step 3: Click "network"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step3

Step 4: make sure "Preserve log" is checked

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step4

Step 5: click "view order"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step5

Step 6: You should see lines showing up in the "network" pane. In the mean time, the page will also start loading. Wait for roughly 10 to 20 seconds for everything to settle down.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step6

Step 7: right click on any line (doesn't match which line) in the "network" pane, and select "Save all as HAR with content".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step7

Step 8: give the file a name. I use "ford.har" as the file name, and placed the result in the default "Downloads" folder.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step8

Step 9: open "terminal", type the following and press enter. You should see your VIN number now:

grep -oE '3FMTK[0-9A-Z]{12}' ~/Downloads/ford.har

To open "terminal": open Spotlight (click the manifying glass on the right upper corner of your screen), type "terminal", wait a bit, and press enter

If you use Windows, open PowerShell, type the following and press enter.

Select-String '3FMTK[0-9A-Z]{12}' ~/Downloads/ford.har -All | Select Matches

Alternatively, on Mac or Windows, you can also navigate to the Downloads folder, open the file ford.har with your favorite text editor, and search for "3FMTK".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer step9

Last edited:

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I can see that is alot of click here click there. Not for me but I am sure
many will find this very helpful. All I did was call dealer (new car sales manager)
and he took 10 minutes to find my Vin. He called back and sent Email with info.
Sales manager was GREAT but my salesman was no help for a week trying
to find my info. I now like my dealer much better !!

Deleted member 2014

(This is my version of the steps, which I failed to post last week. Note that they're different from @TheSeg, and are not compatible with the tool provided by him. Hopefully these are helpful to those who have trouble following the text-only instructions on the website.)

Assuming you have access to "reservations & orders" website, you can get your VIN number without having to talk to any one.

I have pictures with each step below. I expect that any one can follow these steps.

The instructions below assumes that you use Chrome. Other browsers will also work, but the exact steps are different. Unless you're familiar with the "developer tools" in your preferred browser, I recommend that you stick to the instructions exactly.
Great, Thanks!
Although i already got a VIN from my dealer...is it possible to to search for a build date, too?

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Thank you! Not only did I find my VIN, I noticed the build week was moved up a week.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Fantastic find! Was able to extract it using Chrome inspector and add it to my Ford Pass app! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
Great, Thanks!
Although i already got a VIN from my dealer...is it possible to to search for a build date, too?
If there's a build date, then it shows up in Ford's interface already. I'd like to make this tool stick to things that are hidden but sent to you, like VIN. Honestly I don't know why they don't show the VIN when it's clearly sent down the wire.

That said, I'm only going by what data I have for my order, which is currently with a build week. I'm happy to look over other people's data dump if they're at different states. Just know you'll be sending personal information to a stranger on the Internet.

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
Fantastic find! Was able to extract it using Chrome inspector and add it to my Ford Pass app! Thanks for sharing!
Yup, that's fine too! I made the tool to make it a bit easier for folks who don't know JSON.

I also added the barcode generator to add to the app with your camera. That barcode is generated from your browser; no data sent to a server!

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If your Mach-E Reservation page shows a build week, you can likely get your VIN!

Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer

It's ugly, there's a few steps to take to get to the data, but at the end you'll be able to get your VIN. I even generate a barcode your FordPass app will accept.

Notes:
You can not use a mobile phone as it requires a browser's development tools.

I wanted to make a site where you can get this information, but without compromising your privacy. No analytics, no third-party CDNs for libraries, no data uploaded from any data you enter. Everything runs locally once you load the page. The site is hosted via AWS CloudFront.

I have a GitHub repo with the code, if you are a front-end developer like me and want to examine or run the code locally. I'm not going to spend much time with support, but will listen to feedback. If you're also a developer, I welcome pull requests as well!

Backstory:
When my Mach-E order posted a build week, I wanted to find out what my VIN was. After doing some exploring, I discovered that the VIN number is included in the payload! Sadly you can't directly link to the JSON file even when logged in (long story). Otherwise I'd just directly link to that file to copy/paste into the tool.

I could add more details to view, including an image of the car and plan pricing data. I wasn't sure about the interest or the accuracy in exposing that data. Nor did I want to reinvent what's already on the reservation page.

Great Job!

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm debating if I should link to FordTracker dot tech with the VIN on the success screen. I don't want to imply that the sites are related as technically it has a different security profile. Not a negative (I use it), it's just a different tool doing different things.

Thank you for creating this, I just got my VIN when my dealer wouldn't bother looking it up despite multiple asks!
That's pretty much the use case I had in mind. Especially since it's data already delivered to you on the browser, just not exposed in the UI.

Note: I didn't ask my dealer for the VIN as I already discovered the data.
Sponsored