Ford reccomends disconnecting the 12v battery!! (under certain circumstances)

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here is a link on long term storage from Ford:: How does Ford expect us to do that without removing frunk panels and discoonecting a battery that does not have a quick disconnected feature. If the link does not work-do a web search for
How can I prepare my Ford Electric Vehicle for long-term storage?( Over 30 days)
Ford states....
  • Maintain the high voltage (HV) battery state of charge at approximately 50%.
  • Once achieved, disconnect the 12-volt (12V) battery to reduce system loads on the HV battery. Note: Before disconnecting, be sure to have your key fob and access to a copy of your Owner's Manual outside of the vehicle.

Do you think connecting a battery maintenance charger would be easier, especially if you add pigtails to the battery in advance?
Sponsored

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
misleading title of this thread, you may want to add the "Long term storage" part to the thread title

Tony

OP
OP

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hi Tony: Not really misleading. I feel it is a legitimate attention getter. It got your attention 2 minutes after I posted it.
Thanks for your thought anyway.

Don

blheron

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have had my car parked for about 2 months. I didn't disconnect the Battery. Instead I set the charge limit to 50% and kept it plug in to my home 40 amp charger. I haven't had any issues> (so far).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Hi Tony: Not really misleading. I feel it is a legitimate attention getter. It got your attention 2 minutes after I posted it.

Don
At least you admit it's click bait. Props for that.

If I were going to leave my car in storage for many months, I'd disconnect the battery rather than leave it on a battery charger. That's what Ford tells you to do.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The thought of owning one of these cars and not using it just seems......wrong. :)

SONEWBE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For what it’s worth, I researched the long term storage concern prior to leaving my car in my garage plugged into my EVSE for 3 months this past winter. I came to the conclusion that Ford’s definition of “Long Term Storage” is where the car is unplugged. When plugged in to a EVSE, the 12V is effectively trickle charged while it is keeping the HVB charged. I did set the charge limit to 50%. I checked the 12V battery voltage when I returned and it was the same as when I left.

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
The thought of owning one of these cars and not using it just seems......wrong. :)
Definitely not a problem I will have.😁

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag

Don
Really its just clickbait and normally frowned upon on forums of like minded memebers. It's common on youstube where people make money from sensationalism and misleading people.
Folks on this forum like to see new and informative information, when presented in context and thats why I suggested the change to the title.
No offence suggested or implied by me, people have the right to post want they want.

Tony

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here is a link on long term storage from Ford:: How does Ford expect us to do that without removing frunk panels and discoonecting a battery that does not have a quick disconnected feature. If the link does not work-do a web search for
How can I prepare my Ford Electric Vehicle for long-term storage?( Over 30 days)
Ford states....
  • Maintain the high voltage (HV) battery state of charge at approximately 50%.
  • Once achieved, disconnect the 12-volt (12V) battery to reduce system loads on the HV battery. Note: Before disconnecting, be sure to have your key fob and access to a copy of your Owner's Manual outside of the vehicle.

Do you think connecting a battery maintenance charger would be easier, especially if you add pigtails to the battery in advance?
"Here is a link on ..." Where is the link?

OP
OP

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Sorry, the link did not post as I expected. Thats why I did a copy/paste/ If you copy the bold print and do a web search, it comes up. Thank you for asking.

Dssdmd

Billst10

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a 2022 Mach E and I plan to leave it in my unheated but within the house garage. It generally does not get below 32 degrees in the garage. I plan to store the car for 8 to 12 weeks and based on what I'm reading I can keep my 40 amp charger plugged in and maintain the vehicle at 50% charge. This will also trickle charge the 12 volt battery. Do I have it right rather than unplugging the 12 Volt battery.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have a 2022 Mach E and I plan to leave it in my unheated but within the house garage. It generally does not get below 32 degrees in the garage. I plan to store the car for 8 to 12 weeks and based on what I'm reading I can keep my 40 amp charger plugged in and maintain the vehicle at 50% charge. This will also trickle charge the 12 volt battery. Do I have it right rather than unplugging the 12 Volt battery.
If you follow the manual, you would leave it at 50% and disconnect the 12v battery. Some don't, and they're fine.
Sponsored