DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Great they came up with a name I can remember. LOL I kinda like "BlueCruise" better than "SuperCruise", perhaps because I've tired of all the superlatives?

Yes, probably - but I'm going through atlanta so it would be nice to know if I-85 and I-75 are too
Having lived in Atlanta you can count on it. Just look at the "X" where the two intersect. Hated that spot!

Lane change basically brings BlueCruise up to feature parity with Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot level of autonomy without Summon
I would say this is not even close to being correct. Tesla's driver assist system isn't remotely competitive with either this or GM's SuperCruise, both of which use digital maps and a driver monitoring system. The big differences are: (1) Tesla's system is not a hands free system (because it can't monitor the driver), and (2) Tesla's system doesn't have a reliable way to tell the driver when to take back control (because it doesn't know what it doesn't know).

Tesla's big claim to fame would be that it isn't limited to certain highways. IMO this isn't a real advantage because it performs so poorly. Reminds me of hydrogen cars -- always in the future.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The HARDWARE (ie the "prep package") is included on all but the base select MME but not the software. The software will sell for $600. On the Select trim you needed to buy the "comfort/tech" package for $2600, which includes the hardware for "Bluecruise" and other niceties like heated seats.
I think it's slightly more complicated than that. As I read the story, the software is "included" on the trims now - but remember the base prices went up by $600. So for those of us before the price increase, it's $600 (of which we got $100 back already as a point of sale rebate), but for those after, it's "included" if the hardware is there except on Select, where it's $3200 total for hardware plus software.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I understand how it's sold right now (where it's extra when the software is ready), but the article closes by saying the Mach-E Premium trims includes BlueCruise (right now it only includes hardware), and for the Select it is a $3200 all-inclusive option.

So I'm wondering if they'll bump the price of the Premium trims $600 to compensate for it, or if they'll get it "for free" compared to what the early adopters will be paying.
they already did bump the prices - there's at least thread about it on here as linked earlier by @generaltso : https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...f-mach-e-ota-software-update.5406/post-153824

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think it's slightly more complicated than that. As I read the story, the software is "included" on the trims now - but remember the base prices went up by $600. So for those of us before the price increase, it's $600 (of which we got $100 back already as a point of sale rebate), but for those after, it's "included" if the hardware is there except on Select, where it's $3200 total for hardware plus software.
I don't see a price increase on Ford.com.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The MME already self adjusts speed and steers itself when in cruise control. What’s so great about taking your hands off the wheel???? Where you gonna put em?
Having put over 4,000 miles on my Mach E, mostly interstate, I'm looking forward to not being continually reminded that I'm not holding the wheel firmly enough when the car is doing the driving.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don't see a price increase on Ford.com.
the linked thread talks about how it's not visible on Ford's main site but it is on the AZX site.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I would say this is not even close to being correct. Tesla's driver assist system isn't remotely competitive with either this or GM's SuperCruise, both of which use digital maps and a driver monitoring system. The big differences are: (1) Tesla's system is not a hands free system (because it can't monitor the driver), and (2) Tesla's system doesn't have a reliable way to tell the driver when to take back control (because it doesn't know what it doesn't know).

Tesla's big claim to fame would be that it isn't limited to certain highways. IMO this isn't a real advantage because it performs so poorly. Reminds me of hydrogen cars -- always in the future.
Well, I am here to dump on Tesla as much as the next person but don't conflate FSD with Autopilot. BlueCruise and Autopilot/Enhanced Autopilot are very, very close. The only difference is BlueCruise you can take your hand off the wheel, Autopilot/EAP you (in theory) must keep your hands on the wheel. Otherwise, functionally they are equivalent (ignoring EAP's Summon functionality, which I don't consider in the scope of the main feature set for on-highway autonomy)

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
That's just lane keep assist - it'll just ping-pong you back and forth. Right now the only time lane centering is active is if you have cruise-control on. Lane centering keeps you the center, as the name implies. I want that without having to have cruise-control on, which is what the announcement seems to indicate will come with BlueCruise at some point as well.
I really enjoy the Adaptive Cruise Control with lane centering turned on.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Man the one connection I was honestly hoping for was the Austin to Houston connection as that would be the route I am most likely to drive and use it several times a year on. The other connection I would like it I can accept it missing but come on Austin to Houston really could be used.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The MME already self adjusts speed and steers itself when in cruise control. What’s so great about taking your hands off the wheel???? Where you gonna put em?
this is a family forum so I'm going to request certain people not answer this.

you know who you are. ?

Nuno1122

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach -E CA RT1
Country flag
This article contradicts itself, saying it’ll be a $600 option later this year (for those that have the hardware) in the Mach-E, and then says it’s included in 3 trims of the Mach-E.

Im really looking forward to this, but I’m still under the assumption that the Blue Oval will be charging us (who already have a car) for the option when it rolls outs, unless they change their mind and decide to gift it to the early adopters :)

I wonder when the change to wrap the price around both hardware and software will be made.
I know that when i purchased my California rt 1 it has a $100 discount and it said early adopter

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
this is a family forum so I'm going to request certain people not answer this.

you know who you are. ?
Ha Ha. Best to keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel, said Jim Morrison.
All that level 2 Ford Tech is designed to be "driver assistance", not driver replacement. The next level 3 Blue Cruise is pretty cool though and can't wait for it to come out this fall and test it on a drive from Wilmington to Raleigh, I-40.
Sponsored