- First Name
- Oct 11, 2020
- Reaction score
- Dearborn, MI
- Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Setting up Phone-as-a-Key is a multi-step process.I picked up mine on Sunday the 13th. My Ford pass allows me to unlock the car but has no way to set up the “phone as a key” feature. We’re you able to set up your phone as a key?
1. Download the FordPass app (sounds like you've done that)
2. "Activate' the car via the FordPass app. For best results ... be inside the car and 'start' the car before initiating the activation. It also helps if the car has good cell coverage (AT&T) and Ford suggests you be outside (not in a garage, parking deck, etc.). That really just activates the cellular modem in the car to be connected to the FordPass app on your phone... but it's all happening across the Internet via cellular ... the car doesn't really have a direct connection to your phone.
3. I linked the phone to the car via BlueTooth. Now your car has a link to your phone.
4. I also linked the car to my home WiFi so that it doesn't have to rely on AT&T coverage (which is poor at my home ... but if you have good AT&T coverage then this step probably isn't important).
5. On the FordPass app you should see an option to set up Phone as a Key (on the 'home' screen). Make sure you are in the car and have the factory key-fob with you (you can't set up a phone-as-a-key without that fob).
If you set up more than one Phone-as-a-Key, the additional phones can create and sign in to their own FordPass accounts (you don't need to use the same email address... each person can have their own). Those additional users should add the car and attempt to 'activate'. It will fail (not to worry ... that's meant to happen) but it will fail because the car is already activate to YOUR Ford Pass account. They'll get a prompt asking if they want to request authorization from you. Your phone (Ford Pass) will get the authorization request and if you approve them then their Ford Pass app can view & control the car. THEN you can set up their phone as Phone-as-a-Key (but you must still have the factory FOB with you to do this. You can't use your Phone-as-a-Key to create a new Phone-as-a-Key.