Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I understand both loyalty and frequent consumer programs reasonably well, from the consumer end. I’ve been the highest tier in an airline program over the years, am lifetime highest tier at one major hotel chain and mid-tier at a few others, and of course, leverage premium credit cards.
I don’t understand the value proposition of FordPass rewards at all. The earning rate is incredibly low (it seems significantly less than 0.05 cents per dollar spent?) and the value for the points seems fairly minimal, given the limited way that points can be spent (discount on service, parts, or accessories). To my mind, it seems like a pointless program and I’ll stick to running Ford spend through American Express for Membership Rewards (people who have a Chase Sapphire card may find it preferable to run spend through there).
Does anyone find value in FordPass rewards?
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I understand both loyalty and frequent consumer programs reasonably well, from the consumer end. I’ve been the highest tier in an airline program over the years, am lifetime highest tier at one major hotel chain and mid-tier at a few others, and of course, leverage premium credit cards.
I don’t understand the value proposition of FordPass rewards at all. The earning rate is incredibly low (it seems significantly less than 0.05 cents per dollar spent?) and the value for the points seems fairly minimal, given the limited way that points can be spent (discount on service, parts, or accessories). To my mind, it seems like a pointless program and I’ll stick to running Ford spend through American Express for Membership Rewards (people who have a Chase Sapphire card may find it preferable to run spend through there).
You can still use Amex or any other cards and earn FordPass points.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
no, especially for a BEV

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It’s not 0.05 cents per dollar spent.

It’s 10x that amount (0.5 cents per dollar spent).

It’s half a percent. As far as cash back cards programs go, not great. Sounds like you can game the system and use all the bonus points the way that’s described in the other thread but sounds like too much work to me.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just got the email on Ford Pass being tier system today. So what is the perk? Just pickup and some extra points? Thats it??? Why bother?
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPass Rewards? Why? 1631984193048

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, it has value above your other cards, but it's both more complicated and the amount of it's value is limited. Check out my post here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-cashback-strategies-for-mach-e-buyers.1201/
Given the limited uses for it, I put spend elsewhere.

Get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card at a branch. $50 free grocery spend, $50 free hotel, 100,000 points when you spend $4,000 in 3 months. Those points are worth $1,000 or $1,250 on travel. 10% point bonus annually.

In Q4, Chase Freedom is 5% on PayPal. Use PayPal Key virtual card, pay all your bills with it, tied to the Chase card for payment. I plan on prepaying a bunch of bills for 2022, because with money at 0.5% interest, I can make 5% on the card. We get our year's medical insurance bills in advance. That's $900 right there, less there convenience fee. Over $600 net. Prepay January's estimated taxes. And more.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given the limited uses for it, I put spend elsewhere.

Get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card at a branch. $50 free grocery spend, $50 free hotel, 100,000 points when you spend $4,000 in 3 months. Those points are worth $1,000 or $1,250 on travel. 10% point bonus annually.

In Q4, Chase Freedom is 5% on PayPal. Use PayPal Key virtual card, pay all your bills with it, tied to the Chase card for payment. I plan on prepaying a bunch of bills for 2022, because with money at 0.5% interest, I can make 5% on the card. We get our year's medical insurance bills in advance. That's $900 right there, less there convenience fee. Over $600 net. Prepay January's estimated taxes. And more.
Sounds like a part time job. I’ll make more than $600 if I did a part time job.

Some people look at things like this as a fun hobby (like extreme couponing). Doesn’t sound fun to me though. To each their own.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag

Some people look at things like this as a fun hobby (like extreme couponing). Doesn’t sound fun to me though. To each their own.
My son in law has a huge spread sheet for this kind of thing. Has warnings when an annual fee is due and he rolls the balance to another card and cancels the old to avoid the fee. Spends way more time on it that I can to........but then they are also always flying somewhere for a weekend trip with free miles, hotels and rental cars.....so what do I know

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

$600 is paying one transaction. 5 minutes.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$600 is paying one transaction. 5 minutes.
You pay $18,000 for your insurance? Good golly!

FWIW, I put everything on 1 card. Easier to budget and it gives 2% cash back, no annual fee, no limits, no work.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
So you can use points for a down payment? Is there a maximum amount you can use towards it as a down-payment? Just keep saving points until a updated mme comes out we want?

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
what would you actually spend these points on? I already got cargo mats. There doesnt seem to be anything actually useful to redeem for points, given lack of ford accessories for Mach E. Service is also minimal given BEV. Anyone find an interesting place to spend?

It would be useful ford came up with a way to use these points at DCFC locations, in my opinion

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
what would you actually spend these points on? I already got cargo mats. There doesnt seem to be anything actually useful to redeem for points, given lack of ford accessories for Mach E. Service is also minimal given BEV. Anyone find an interesting place to spend?

It would be useful ford came up with a way to use these points at DCFC locations, in my opinion
I redeemed my points towards the FCCS EVSE. I'll probably end up using remaining/future points towards smaller things like touch up paint, air filters, and wiper blades.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This thread is discussing apples and oranges.

You can earn FordPass Reward points by spending money at your dealership. These are earned at a rate of 10 points per dollar spent. So spend $100, get 1,000 points. Spend $1,000, get 10,000 points.

Those points are worth 1/2 cent each, i.e. 1000 points = $5.00 10,000 points = $50.00

You get these points by spending money at the dealership.

How you pay for the services is up to you. You can use the FordPass credit card, which is described in that other thread, and is lousy. Or, you can use your regular cashback credit card, mine is 2%.

So, if I spend $100, I get 1,000 FordPass points and $2 back on my credit card.
Sponsored