Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Do you know if the BMS will kick in if it is cold and the car isn't plugged in? Or will it only run the BMS if the car is plugged in?
I haven't seen it overtly stated, but when I got my car at the end of last winter I wasn't plugging it in nor was I doing it in December. When it got really cold I noticed that the battery seemed to lose a noticeable percentage when I left it idle in the driveway for days. I didn't hear the BMS kick in nor have I seen it overtly stated by Ford, but I presume that the BMS did indeed kick in even though it wasn't plugged in.

Maybe @Ford Motor Company, @RonTCat, or one of the other Ford insiders could clarify
Sponsored

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select Dual Motor Standard Range
Country flag
I didn't hear the BMS kick in nor have I seen it overtly stated by Ford, but I presume that the BMS did indeed kick in even though it wasn't plugged in.
I can never hear the BMS in the winter, even when I know it is pulling power (my wall charger has a light that indicates charging). In the summer though, hell yeah I can hear it. I'm very curious about whether it runs the BMS when not plugged in and parked though. I have observed a battery drop but wasn't sure if that was due to the cold and expected range loss or something else.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Its perfectly OK to top off for long trips. A good practice is to completely fill the high-voltage battery about an hour before leaving... so they don't sit for too long at full charge
Okay this is great that they recognize this is something we want to do. Now it'd be nice if there was a button for this in Fordpass. If I am leaving for a work trip at 5:45 AM, its a bummer to set an alarm for 4:45 AM to start that whole chain of events.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can never hear the BMS in the winter, even when I know it is pulling power (my wall charger has a light that indicates charging). In the summer though, hell yeah I can hear it. I'm very curious about whether it runs the BMS when not plugged in and parked though. I have observed a battery drop but wasn't sure if that was due to the cold and expected range loss or something else.
The drop I've seen is actually battery state of charge (ie percent), not the range estimate and the temps were about the same throughout the week. It could be a residual effect of cold, but I think it is a "real" drop in charge due to energy use.

Okay this is great that they recognize this is something we want to do. Now it'd be nice if there was a button for this in Fordpass. If I am leaving for a work trip at 5:45 AM, its a bummer to set an alarm for 4:45 AM to start that whole chain of events.
You can. Plug in the car and click on the "details" button at the bottom of the FP screen where it tells you "charge limit reached" or whatever. At the bottom of the details screen should be a "charge to 100%" button. If you haven't updated FP in a while that might be why you don't see it. Just click on it the night before; the car will be fine sitting at 100% for a few hours

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If it does, it is absolutely silent. I can hear no pumps or fans or anything. The only time it makes noise is if its plugged in AND actively charging or preconditioning due to a departure time.

Unless Job2 cars are different.
I live in Arizona and I never hear the cooling running on the Mach E once it is fully charged, which for me is 80%. On the other hand, my Bolt runs the cooling when it is hot, whether plugged in or not. For the Bolt I normally hear it come on with outside temps above 105F, but the battery is likely cooler than that because it is shaded. The Bolt runs the cooling fan and the recirc pump in hot conditions. The Mach E only runs the fan while charging in hot temperatures, this time of year I can hear the recirc pumps running but not the fan while charging.

I have also walked by Teslas in parking lots and heard their fans running while parked in hot weather.

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Can someone give this to my dealer that charged my battery to 100% the day the car arrived then let it sit at that charge in 17F conditions for 5 days?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Can someone give this to my dealer that charged my battery to 100% the day the car arrived then let it sit at that charge in 17F conditions for 5 days?
It's not making any difference to do that. Dealer is supposed to charge to 100% for delivery. And given they have only Level 2 chargers, they charge all new vehicles up when they prep them.

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select Dual Motor Standard Range
Country flag
The drop I've seen is actually battery state of charge (ie percent), not the range estimate and the temps were about the same throughout the week. It could be a residual effect of cold, but I think it is a "real" drop in charge due to energy use.
That's what I have seen as well. Would love to know from an official source that the battery temperature is always being maintained, regardless of shore power availability. The evidence seems to suggest it does (the bit about the 12V battery in the document that started this thread is further evidence IMO given that I doubt it isn't maintaining the 12V while driving). That would make the plug-in advisory in cold or hot weather more of a customer-facing, "Wouldn't you like to have your car plugged in so it is always at the set charge level and is easy to precondition without losing charge?"

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
You can. Plug in the car and click on the "details" button at the bottom of the FP screen where it tells you "charge limit reached" or whatever. At the bottom of the details screen should be a "charge to 100%" button. If you haven't updated FP in a while that might be why you don't see it. Just click on it the night before; the car will be fine sitting at 100% for a few hours
Oh yeah, I'm aware of that one. I would like to have a spot for a one off trip though. I charge to 85% every night, unless I am going out of town for work, where I have to leave early. Then I have to go change my charge settings to 100%, and then remember to change them back when I get home.

I would like to be able to go in and plan a trip for tomorrow (or several days out would be even better) and tell the car I am leaving at X time and it should be charge to Y percentage for that day only, and then delete that schedule and go back to normal. Y'know, automate a little.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Oh yeah, I'm aware of that one. I would like to have a spot for a one off trip though. I charge to 85% every night, unless I am going out of town for work, where I have to leave early. Then I have to go change my charge settings to 100%, and then remember to change them back when I get home.

I would like to be able to go in and plan a trip for tomorrow (or several days out would be even better) and tell the car I am leaving at X time and it should be charge to Y percentage for that day only, and then delete that schedule and go back to normal. Y'know, automate a little.
That's my point - you don't have to change your settings at all. The night before the trip simply click the "charge to 100%" button and it will override the schedule and charge to 100% that one time. I do that all the time and it works just fine

Chris McD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic
Country flag
It's not making any difference to do that. Dealer is supposed to charge to 100% for delivery. And given they have only Level 2 chargers, they charge all new vehicles up when they prep them.
My dealer didn't. I got it at about 48% charge to drive home. I was wondering why they didn't. They could have easily charged it while I was handling all the haggling and paperwork. :rolleyes:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My dealer didn't. I got it at about 48% charge to drive home. I was wondering why they didn't. They could have easily charged it while I was handling all the haggling and paperwork. :rolleyes:
Why did you accept the car? An ICE vehicle comes with a full gas tank, why would a BEV be any different?

Chris McD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic
Country flag
Why did you accept the car? An ICE vehicle comes with a full gas tank, why would a BEV be any different?
Because I was tired and wanted to go home and see my family lol. By the time I noticed it I was I was driving it off the lot. I didn't see it as that big of a deal at the time and I figured we'd just plug it in when I got home.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Because I was tired and wanted to go home and see my family lol. By the time I noticed it I was I was driving it off the lot. I didn't see it as that big of a deal at the time and I figured we'd just plug it in when I got home.
Yeah I would have done the same thing lol, some on here just want someone to yell at haha

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
If it does, it is absolutely silent. I can hear no pumps or fans or anything. The only time it makes noise is if its plugged in AND actively charging or preconditioning due to a departure time.

Unless Job2 cars are different.
My job 2 GTPE opens the vents and I can hear the fans running and coolant moving sometimes when I plug in. -Florida.
Sponsored