free charging at Ford dealerships US nationwide?

RIB-JIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion
Occupation
travel-related self employed
(first post)
Mach-E Long Range (~310 miles) recent discounts caught my attention;
it would be my first EV;
living in high rise with no personal parking spaces outlet;
wanting to control overhead during regular work-related road trips;
I read that Ford dealers offer free charging, that some day they may require pay;
but I haven't been able to find definitively...
a. do Ford dealers nationwide offer free fast charging?
b. if not all what percentage? is there map of these specific dealers?
c. can one mostly charge free nationwide during road trips?
d. is it known when they will require pay? all dealers at same time?

any related comments-advice appreciated;
it is free charging that makes Mach-E priority;
previously I'd shopped low mileage 2016 Tesla S-X free lifetime supercharging....
if this topic has been covered, links appreciated;
thanks in advance 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏
Sponsored

Last edited:

david_quick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Had not seen that. My local dealership just added 4 stations. Have not been there to check them out. May look into it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
In my experience, the number of Ford dealerships that currently offer fast charging is tiny. And even when more do, it’s unlikely that it will be free. If they treat them like they currently treat Level 2 chargers, they’ll also likely be blocked by dealer cars most of the time.

Honestly, if you don’t have home charging, I don’t think you should be considering an EV. It’s just not practical, IMO.

smunro622

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
My dealership I leased from had 1 charger and said they aren't putting more in as it costs to much as they need to upgrade electrical. My opinion total BS if you sell them your sales and mechanics should be certified and you should have minimum X number if chargers. The dealerships are killing this and do not even realize, I have since gone to a different dealership for some items as the dealership I leased from REFUSED to call for after a complaint and issued a case number...These are the dealerships Ford needs to disassociate with. Even better they should had a "preferred" rating for sale rating of a dealership chooses to put in the time effort and money.

Last edited:

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
City multi-family dweller here. The Mach-E will most likely make your life living hell. If you’re a fellow masochist, welcome to the club.

I am an environmentalist, but knowing what I know now (after 21 months of ownership), I would have skipped the EV experience altogether or bought a Tesla.

Ford dealers don’t have DCFC in any density you can rely on, and nothing is for free. Can you find free? I found one Genesis store in Wisconsin that was free. But remember that dealers are not installing 350kW chargers, more like junky ChargePoint 50s, in the best of cases.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
In my experience, the number of Ford dealerships that currently offer fast charging is tiny. And even when more do, it’s unlikely that it will be free. If they treat them like they currently treat Level 2 chargers, they’ll also likely be blocked by dealer cars most of the time.

Honestly, if you don’t have home charging, I don’t think you should be considering an EV. It’s just not practical, IMO.
At this point... I'd say that if you don't have a way to L1 or L2 charge on a daily basis (wherever you park at home, work, or school), then BEV ownership is going to be a struggle.

There may be free L1, and even some free L2, in parking lots or workplaces. If you car is in a lot for 8-10 hours, charging L1 on 120v will work for short daily commutes <30 miles

It is highly unlikely that L3 chargers will be free anywhere. They cost about $200-300k per dispenser to install, and typically incur 'demand charges' from Utilities when charging faster than 50kW.... which means that the cost of the energy is way higher than residential rates.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
(first post)
it would be my first EV;
living in high rise with no personal parking spaces outlet;
wanting to control overhead during regular work-related road trips;
I read that Ford dealers offer free charging, that some day they may require pay;
but I haven't been able to find definitively...
a. do Ford dealers nationwide offer free fast charging?
b. if not all what percentage? is there map of these specific dealers?
d. is it known when they will require pay? all dealers at same time?

any related comments-advice appreciated;
it is free charging that makes Mach-E priority;
previously I'd shopped low mileage 2016 Tesla S-X free lifetime supercharging....
if this topic has been covered, links appreciated;
thanks in advance 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏
You should not buy a Mach-E without charging at work if you cannot charge at home. If free charging is your goal, buy a VW.

A) No.
B) Very tiny amount have fast charging. About 1,500 dealers will add it this year. Majority would not be free, if any, in my opinion.
C) No. Not mostly, almost never. 30,000 road miles, free high speed charging is very rare.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My dealership I leased from had 1 charger and said they aren't putting more in as it costs to much as they need to upgrade electrical. My opinion total BS if you sell them you sales and mechanics should be certified and you should have minimum X number if chargers. The dealerships are killing this and do not even realize, I have since gone to a different dealership for some items as the dealership I leased from REFUSED to call for after a complaint and issued a case number...These are the dealerships Ford needs to disassociate with. Even better they should had a "preferred" rating for sale rating of a dealership chooses to put in the time effort and money.
Ford dealerships that want to sell/service EVs are being forced to install at least one L3 dispenser available to public, or prove there is one 'nearby'. But they are not all in yet. And yes, the L2 charger(s) at dealerships may be free, but usually only available during business hours.

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
If your plan is to rely on free charging, you will be highly disappointed.
I’ve been using VOLT when at the supermarket or shopping mall. It’s better than a sharp tick in the eye. Or is it?

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
At this point... I'd say that if you don't have a way to L1 or L2 charge on a daily basis (wherever you park at home, work, or school), then BEV ownership is going to be a struggle.

There may be free L1, and even some free L2, in parking lots or workplaces. If you car is in a lot for 8-10 hours, charging L1 on 120v will work for short daily commutes <30 miles

It is highly unlikely that L3 chargers will be free anywhere. They cost about $200-300k per dispenser to install, and typically incur 'demand charges' from Utilities when charging faster than 50kW.... which means that the cost of the energy is way higher than residential rates.
I’ve never seen L3 for free. I did score one charge free from EA. But that’s extremely rare

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
(first post)

Finding a free DCFC level 3 charger on a road trip will be just like finding a free gasoline station.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Finding a free DCFC level 3 charger on a road trip will be just like finding a free gasoline station.
Not really... 97 are 125kW or higher.

Ford Mustang Mach-E free charging at Ford dealerships US nationwide? 1000003109

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
I’ve never seen L3 for free. I did score one charge free from EA. But that’s extremely rare
I got 250 kwh free when I bought my MME. I guess you missed out.
Sponsored