Gear Shift Module Update Available

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
Ok….I’m saved!!

I left the car locked for 10 minutes to let all the modules go to sleep.

I’ve just gone out and it is now ok. No nasty scary messages. This is the first module update I’ve done in years where I’ve had to let the car sit for a while. Really I should go clear CMDTCS but I’m not touching it. Just took it out for a 5 mile drive and all is well.

Updating modules is NOT for the feint hearted.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
There is no TSB/SSM related to this also I wouldn't go rushing to update it. Most Ford vehicles get updates all the time that they will never get. It's standard adjustments, etc for edge case issues most users will not see. Now with the MME launch there were several widespread bugs that had to be addressed but now a lot have.

My GT does have this update available and I will probably run it but this is not something you need to run out and have your dealer do.

I just tossed the VIN for my early build 2020 Escape that I sold last year into FDRS. It has 14 module updates available...yet I checked with the new owner and he said it has no issues and the car has been great. My point being the latest software on EVERY module is not always important.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Nothing much to update. I’ve broken the car. The SOBDMC module is not happy with this update. I have “Stop Immediately “ every time I turn car on. Clearing CMDTCS doesn’t work. Car drives but really not happy
Super common. You just need to clear CMDTCs then wait 10 mins, come back and clear them again it is usually good to go.

Based on timing modules can get really confused when it shuts the network down without warning. Then they go into this fail safe mode that requires some time passed while asleep and things look good for them to reset to normal operation.

It is really hard to 'brick' the car updating software. The only real way it can happen is if Ford provides incorrect software.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
There is no TSB/SSM related to this also I wouldn't go rushing to update it. Most Ford vehicles get updates all the time that they will never get. It's standard adjustments, etc for edge case issues most users will not see. Now with the MME launch there were several widespread bugs that had to be addressed but now a lot have.

My GT does have this update available and I will probably run it but this is not something you need to run out and have your dealer do.
Aside from reports by some members who have been here longer than I, it appears that this is the first update that's not OTA resolvable since the 12v battery issue. Just wonder what it is and what will come of it. As you said, it might be an edge case thing. I wish we had patch notes.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
That's interesting, because Darren Palmer specifically said it would be updatable OTA in his interview with InsideEV.
That is interesting because the workshop manual says it is not updatable. I just checked again for the 2022 MY WSM and it says the same thing. Either the WSM is wrong or Darren is wrong. Honestly either way wouldn't surprise me. It doesn't make much sense to me that some modules couldn't be updated OTA though so I would hope the WSM is just wrong.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Aside from reports by some members who have been here longer than I, it appears that this is the first update that's not OTA resolvable since the 12v battery issue. Just wonder what it is and what will come of it. As you said, it might be an edge case thing. I wish we had patch notes.
The thing with the GSM is if it doesn't work right it becomes a safety issue so they would have to issue a recall. They could have changed the way the LEDs work slightly for 2022MY and it becomes an optional update for 2021's. Or they could have adjusted one CAN message content for some reason because it confused some other module occasionally - or they want the IPC to display something in some weird case.

Either way I think you did but I would really stress on the first post this is not a big deal and people should not be rushing to their dealer to get it done - until we're told differently.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The thing with the GSM is if it doesn't work right it becomes a safety issue so they would have to issue a recall
Either way I think you did but I would really stress on the first post this is not a big deal and people should not be rushing to their dealer to get it done - until we're told differently.
I could see that being the reason that the GSM isn't OTA update ready. In your past experience do the updates go out before the recall or TSB?

I've bolstered the language on the original post.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I could see that being the reason that the GSM isn't OTA update ready. In your past experience do the updates go out before the recall or TSB?

I've bolstered the language on the original post.
Yeah the updates usually are released well before the recall unless it is a massive safety issue and the software isn't ready yet. I think they like to make absolutely sure they need to actually issue a recall for a minor fix before they do. It gets expensive...especially if they can do it OTA.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Today I noticed that there's a GSM Module update available. This module CAN NOT be updated OTA. If anyone stumbles upon a TSB or recall before I see it let us know here.

This is potentially big as it's the first update that I've seen that Ford cannot address via OTA. I'm not saying that they have addressed anything OTA, but that's beside the point.

WARNING: If you have stumbled on this thread, we have reports that the initial update is not very welcomed by the car but eventually takes without issue. Update at your own risk - or just don't update the car until we get a TSB on it. I'll keep posted here with any changes. This is not something that we have any reason to believe you NEED right now. So don't go bothering your dealer until we get more information.

Here's the list of OTA available modules: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ota-updates-technical-info.4923/
Well, between the first morning read of this thread and now, I just did the update which FDRS said was available for my First Edition.

All DTCs cleared, all modules green, so I guess I will go try a drive around the block.

Do we know how to go back to an earlier version? Can that be done in ForScan. I think I saw some restore options there, maybe they have the earlier version?

Last edited:

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just did a quick test drive, 7 miles, local 30 mph, 40 mph, two lane highway 55-60 mph with some fast starts. No issues, no warnings, nothing perceived as different.

So far so good, All okay for my FE build date Dec, 2020.

There certainly could be cases of unforeseen problems, but I doubt Ford would release a module update to FDRS without some serious review and sign offs.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Anyone know what the update does?
It enables gear selector controls in the frunk area. A small child can now double press the hood release for Low gear, press and hold for Park, and spill "liquids" into the drain for Reverse.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Anyone know what the update does?
That's a negative so far ... unless you consider @macchiaz-o's reply valid :)

That's why we are advising people, unless you're a brave soul, to just hold off until we get more info on it.

The 3 reports of successful updates haven't reported anything obvious.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Just did a quick test drive, 7 miles, local 30 mph, 40 mph, two lane highway 55-60 mph with some fast starts. No issues, no warnings, nothing perceived as different.

So far so good, All okay for my FE build date Dec, 2020.

There certainly could be cases of unforeseen problems, but I doubt Ford would release a module update to FDRS without some serious review and sign offs.
This is exactly why it doesn't matter.

This update is not important (at least not right now). If it becomes important Ford will release information on it to dealer and/or issue a recall.

It is a standard module update that happens to ALL Ford vehicles as they improve software even if the improvements are minor or not important to vehicles that already have these modules. Like I said in a previous post on most Ford vehicles on the road there are tons of updates available that they will never get and most people will never realize they even exist or have any issues.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is exactly why it doesn't matter.

This update is not important (at least not right now). If it becomes important Ford will release information on it to dealer and/or issue a recall.

It is a standard module update that happens to ALL Ford vehicles as they improve software even if the improvements are minor or not important to vehicles that already have these modules. Like I said in a previous post on most Ford vehicles on the road there are tons of updates available that they will never get and most people will never realize they even exist or have any issues.
Sam, That makes total sense. There are three approaches to this module update business (and probably three corresponding technical personalities):

MME to be up to date with the latest software

MME to be updated as needed, if called for by SSM, TSB

Be patient, OTA will eventually take care of all MME, or dealer will tell you if you need something

As a "type 1", I am very happy to have the setup, and to be able to keep my MME up to date.
Sponsored