breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Sam, That makes total sense. There three approaches to this module update business (and probably three corresponding technical personalities):

MME to be up to date with the latest software

MME to be updated as needed, if called for by SMM, TSB

Be patient, OTA will eventually take car of all MME, or dealer will tell you if you need something

As a "type 1", I am very happy to have the setup, and to be able to keep my MME up to date.
I concur - I already updated mine :p

I just want to have people who don't update themselves to not freak out thinking they need to go to the dealer to get this addressed. We also have conflicting information on if this module can even be updated OTA.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Sam, That makes total sense. There are three approaches to this module update business (and probably three corresponding technical personalities):

MME to be up to date with the latest software

MME to be updated as needed, if called for by SSM, TSB

Be patient, OTA will eventually take care of all MME, or dealer will tell you if you need something

As a "type 1", I am very happy to have the setup, and to be able to keep my MME up to date.
I think it was covered somewhere in your 3 ... but since a lot of us are in the tech industry, we are just geeks and want to see how far we can push technology.

If you're the kind of person (points at self) that goes into the app store/google play and pushes update twice a day then this is right up your alley.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Dumb question but what did that update gain your car what features Didi it change. Or was it all just internal code updates?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Dumb question but what did that update gain your car what features Didi it change. Or was it all just internal code updates?
No one knows yet. That is why we are telling people not to rush to a dealer or overreact. This is all informative at this point. If that changes I'll update the thread. The issue, at least IMO is more about how this is not listed as an OTA update, even though we have conflicting statements on that. So it's just something some of us will watch and tinker with.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Read the replies to the original post and you'll be all caught up on what we've learned. :)

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I just updated mine. Thankfully I didn't have any heart attack moments like @ProximusAl. It took the update without issue like all the previous without any DTCs after.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gear Shift Module Update Available PXL_20211101_001836754~2

Last edited:

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
The one thing I noticed when I did mine, is Sync 4 kept running playing music. Normally it shows "Vehicle Communication error". I wonder if it didn't shut down all the modules properly before doing my update which caused my issue. Usual washing machine noise from the frunk was present during update.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The one thing I noticed when I did mine, is Sync 4 kept running playing music. Normally it shows "Vehicle Communication error". I wonder if it didn't shut down all the modules properly before doing my update which caused my issue. Usual washing machine noise from the frunk was present during update.
This is because the GSM is on HS-2 CAN and likely that is the only CAN bus it put to sleep. As long as the APIM and BCM can talk the APIM will stay on and run. Most functions of the car will keep running.

This is normal depending on what module is being updated.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Is it just me or does it seem like Reverse Brake Assist triggers much easier now?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
When does that usually trigger? When you've got obstacles behind you?
I had a previous EV and charging was on the passenger side (German vehicle) so every day I have to back into my garage to park with the MME (to be on the correct side). I never had RBA trigger going into my garage and now it's doing it every time.

To be fair it probably should trigger based on the "tightness" of the spot and all the beeping and buzzing going on. I just don't know if the GSM is in the chain of modules controlling RBA.
Sponsored

Last edited: