Good Enough Substitute Until Ford Tesla Adapter Arrives?

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
I leased a Mach-E a couple of weeks ago and immediately placed my order for the Ford Tesla adapter. I got an estimated September delivery date. I don't want to have to wait until then to make some road trips. Around me (in northern Minnesota) there seem to be more Tesla Superchargers than anything else. I see Amazon has a deal on a SEGUMA Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Safety Certified Tesla Charger Adapter Fit for J1772 EVs, Max 60A 250V. (See link below.) I've searched for info about this adapter and can't find any users or reviews. Does this seem to be a decent stop gap adapter or should I pay more for something better to tide me over to September (or whenever)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BQMCTMG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A35RBR1AN1K2CB&psc=1
Sponsored

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
That adapter will not work with a Tesla Supercharger - that's an L2 adapter. Will only work on Destination Chargers or a Tesla wall box.

The Ford adapter - made by Tesla - is the only approved adapter for use at Superchargers right now. At this point no 3rd party adapters are approved by Ford, Tesla, or Rivian. There is a standard in the works, and both A2Z and Lectron claim to meet the spec (UL 2252).

If you do want to go the 3rd party route I'd stick with one of them - Tom on State of Charge has reviewed both:

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I leased a Mach-E a couple of weeks ago and immediately placed my order for the Ford Tesla adapter. I got an estimated September delivery date. I don't want to have to wait until then to make some road trips. Around me (in northern Minnesota) there seem to be more Tesla Superchargers than anything else. I see Amazon has a deal on a SEGUMA Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Safety Certified Tesla Charger Adapter Fit for J1772 EVs, Max 60A 250V. (See link below.) I've searched for info about this adapter and can't find any users or reviews. Does this seem to be a decent stop gap adapter or should I pay more for something better to tide me over to September (or whenever)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BQMCTMG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A35RBR1AN1K2CB&psc=1
You're confusing adapters. There is an adapter to go from a Tesla Destination Charger to J1772, and an adapter to go from a Tesla SuperCharger to CCS. You've found the first one. You need the second one.

A2ZEV has both. And, you can save on both, just pick both in the dropdown menu. Use coupon " SaveOnA2ZEVAdapter" to save even more.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
You're confusing adapters. There is an adapter to go from a Tesla Destination Charger to J1772, and an adapter to go from a Tesla SuperCharger to CCS. You've found the first one. You need the second one.

A2ZEV has both. And, you can save on both, just pick both in the dropdown menu. Use coupon " SaveOnA2ZEVAdapter" to save even more.
Getting Tesla Supercharger to CCS adapter from A2Z which is arriving today!

Perfect timing as I am going on a road trip this weekend and can't wait to use more conveniently located Superchargers off the freeways.

Past trips involved having to drive miles off the freeways to find open Chargepoint & EA which have been difficult.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Good Enough Substitute Until Ford Tesla Adapter Arrives? A2Z UPS overnight

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
I ordered a Lectron adapter ("Vortex") a few weeks ago, also despairing of my "August" date estimate from Ford, and got a mail just last night from Lectron I should not give up and they are shipping "hundreds" every day, my number will come up "soon". However, they're not promising dates generally, and don't show you where you are in the queue, so if you put in an order, you're not getting much signal from them about whether it comes in time for a particular road trip.

I have a Lectron L2 adapter (eg, NACS -> Jplug) which I've never used (most of my friends have Teslas and Tesla home chargers; if I ever wanted a quick boost at their houses I'd need this adapter, planned to use it at a particular key L2 Tesla charger bank while overnighting at a hotel but that L2 bank was full and 50% not charging :-( ) and it seems well manufactured. I also like the brand because I bought a mobile L2 charger, when it arrived I realized it didn't have the feature I was expecting (my bad 80%, their website confusing, 20%, I thought), they have a 30 day refund and cheerily did so (I paid shipping back, which also seemed fair). That bought them some loyalty.

Lectron (of course) is making a big deal of the amount of testing this "Vortex" adapter has been through with "existing manufacturers" (or something like that), seeming to imply they're working with Tesla and Ford, but of course they don't say it outright and who knows that this level of "testing" is.

The fact that they are sending them out, and MachE owners are likely using them successfully, leads me to believe it's going to work for me too.

I feel pretty confident a well known 3P can build a good enough adapter, as it has no smarts. It's all plastic and conductor. I doubt the adapter brand can be "sensed" and blocked by Tesla's network. However, I wouldn't try a brand that has so little presence that there's not a YouTube by a known content creator showing it working. A2Z and Lectron have those.

For this key adapter, I won't mind owning two, and I also won't mind lending or selling one if I end up with two in August. They'll still be in demand then. That drove my decision to click the buy button from Lectron.

It seems the A2Z's are shipping more, though.

Last edited:

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
I ordered a Lectron adapter ("Vortex") a few weeks ago, also despairing of my "August" date estimate from Ford, and got a mail just last night from Lectron I should not give up and they are shipping "hundreds" every day, my number will come up "soon". However, they're not promising dates generally, and don't show you where you are in the queue, so if you put in an order, you're not getting much signal from them about whether it comes in time for a particular road trip.

I have a Lectron L2 adapter (eg, NACS -> Jplug) which I've never used (most of my friends have Teslas and Tesla home chargers; if I ever wanted a quick boost at their houses I'd need this adapter, planned to use it at a particular key L2 Tesla charger bank while overnighting at a hotel but that L2 bank was full and 50% not charging :-( ) and it seems well manufactured. I also like the brand because I bought a mobile L2 charger, when it arrived I realized it didn't have the feature I was expecting (my bad 80%, their website confusing, 20%, I thought), they have a 30 day refund and cheerily did so (I paid shipping back, which also seemed fair). That bought them some loyalty.

Lectron (of course) is making a big deal of the amount of testing this "Vortex" adapter has been through with "existing manufacturers" (or something like that), seeming to imply they're working with Tesla and Ford, but of course they don't say it outright and who knows that this level of "testing" is.

The fact that they are sending them out, and MachE owners are likely using them successfully, leads me to believe it's going to work for me too.

I feel pretty confident a well known 3P can build a good enough adapter, as it has no smarts. It's all plastic and conductor. I doubt the adapter brand can be "sensed" and blocked by Tesla's network. However, I wouldn't try a brand that has so little presence that there's not a YouTube by a known content creator showing it working. A2Z and Lectron have those.

For this key adapter, I won't mind owning two, and I also won't mind lending or selling one if I end up with two in August. They'll still be in demand then. That drove my decision to click the buy button from Lectron.

It seems the A2Z's are shipping more, though.
I have a Lectron order in as well but it's been 4 weeks now.

I also ordered an A2Z and it's being delivered today after 3 weeks.

Will try both and see which one I prefer and sell the other one since the Ford adapter will arrive in May "soon"...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Good Enough Substitute Until Ford Tesla Adapter Arrives? IMG_7275892BEAD2-1

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies. As you can see, I'm still a newbie and have a lot to learn! Thanks for keeping me from making a big mistake!

It still might behoove you to get a L2 adapter so you can use Tesla destination chargers or a friends Tesla garage charger. I would get one rated for 80 amps rather than the 60 amp unit you linked at Amazon.

Jtbuster

First Name
Brian oConnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
It still might behoove you to get a L2 adapter so you can use Tesla destination chargers or a friends Tesla garage charger. I would get one rated for 80 amps rather than the 60 amp unit you linked at Amazon.
A lot more money for the 80 and no increased safety.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
We've done a review of the A2Z adapter and it works great. In this video, we even took some IR pics of it while charging. And we've tested it on other Mach-Es and Lightnings and several Superchargers.

And here is our written review with more details:
https://mustangmacheclub.org/a2z-typhoon-nacs-to-ccs-adapter/

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies. As you can see, I'm still a newbie and have a lot to learn! Thanks for keeping me from making a big mistake!
You can still use that on Tesla destination chargers. Like hotels etc. That one you listed seems to support up to 60A. Mach-e can go up to 48A on an L2 so it should be fine. But may consider getting from a known brand like Lectron or Tesla Tap.
Sponsored