OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Looks good I'm doing the same but I want 18s for two reasons. 1 more sidewall. 2 18s are more efficient
I was originally planning on going with 18s for winter, but after seeing pictures of the MME with 18" wheels, they just looked too small for the car. Even in winter, I want it to look good :)
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It‘s not all that difficult as long as you have the right tools.

For the TPMS sensors, I just put universal Autel sensors in the winter wheels and clone them to the original sensor IDs. The car doesn’t even know they were swapped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Q5488L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is a good solution. Didn't know it was that easy.

I am wondering what happens when I rotate the tires. Does the car know which corner they are located automatically or do I have to reprogram the system somehow?

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am wondering what happens when I rotate the tires. Does the car know which corner they are located automatically or do I have to reprogram the system somehow?
The car knows. There’s a separate receiver in each wheel well, so it knows which wheel is where.

Edit: Sorry, this is incorrect information based on my previous experience with Chrysler TPMS systems. See the post by @markboris right after this one for the correct procedure for sensor position relearning in the MME.

Edit #2: I was right the first time. There may not be a receiver in each wheel well, but it still knows. :)

Last edited:

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The car knows. There’s a separate receiver in each wheel well, so it know which wheel is where.
Actually this car (and all Ford's I have worked on at least) do not work like this. The TMPS's transmits data wirelessly direct to the BCM. There is nothing in-between those two devices. If you rotate your tires, the BCM needs to relearn what location the tires are in.

Below is from the Mach-E repair manual with an overview of how the TPMS works and detailed instructions on how to retrain the BCM to learn the location of the TPMS's. HOWEVER, there is a much easier way to retrain the BCM especially if you do not have the Special Tire Pressure Monitor Activation tool. Open the drivers door and turn on the ignition (do not start the car). Press the emergency flasher switch 3 times on and off. The horn will beep once and you will get a message on the center display "Train Left Front Tire". Go to the left front tire and let air out until the horn beeps once. This is usually around 30 lbs. Next go to the Right front and do the same thing, then Right rear and Left rear in that order. After you let the air out of each tire and it reaches around 30 lbs, the horn will beep once. When done, the display will read "Tire Training Complete". Turn off the ignition.

Just to make sure the car didn't not recognize which location the tires were in, I switched both front tires around to see if it knew where the tires were. I just got through swapping the front springs out on the car (I will post this in another thread tomorrow) and had not put the tires back on yet. I have 40 in one tire and 32 in the other. The car didn't recognize that I switched the tires.

On another note, I have in the past couple of weeks replaced the tires and wheels on the car a few times with new TPMS's in each set. They are not the OEM Ford TPMS's as I like the short metal stem once rather than rubber. I do not have to train the BCM to recognize the new sensors. As long as they are 315 MHz sensors, it automatically pairs them however you do have to train the BCM to recognize their location as I mentioned above.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.25.04 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.33.59 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.34.30 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.34.57 AM

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually this car (and all Ford's I have worked on at least) do not work like this. The TMPS's transmits data wirelessly direct to the BCM. There is nothing in-between those two devices. If you rotate your tires, the BCM needs to relearn what location the tires are in.
Thanks for this. I had assumed the Ford TPMS system worked like Chrysler's but I guess that was a bad assumption. I just ran through the relearn procedure to test it, and it worked exactly as you described. I have an Autel TPMS tool, so it was easy to trigger each sensor without having to let any air out of the tires. I'll just add that quick relearn step when I change over to my winter wheels/tires.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Funny, I was thinking you might have thought it was like Chrysler. Ford and GM are very similar in this procedure but Chrysler is different. Nice that you have the TMPS tool but since not everyone has one, I thought I would share the procedure to do it without the tool.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny, I was thinking you might have thought it was like Chrysler. Ford and GM are very similar in this procedure but Chrysler is different. Nice that you have the TMPS tool but since not everyone has one, I thought I would share the procedure to do it without the tool.
For sure. It's great that there's a procedure that doesn't require any tools since most people aren't likely to have any. It's interesting that the procedure you pasted from the service manual says to use the start/stop button to enter Training Mode instead of the hazard light button. I used the hazard light button as you suggested, which worked fine. I didn't try the start/stop button to see if that would also work.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The start/stop button works just the same. Just a lot more actions to do.

Dylancch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I was originally planning on going with 18s for winter, but after seeing pictures of the MME with 18" wheels, they just looked too small for the car. Even in winter, I want it to look good :)
I live 130km from the nearest city I need the range in winter

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Below is from the Mach-E repair manual with an overview of how the TPMS works and detailed instructions on how to retrain the BCM to learn the location of the TPMS's. HOWEVER, there is a much easier way to retrain the BCM especially if you do not have the Special Tire Pressure Monitor Activation tool. Open the drivers door and turn on the ignition (do not start the car). Press the emergency flasher switch 3 times on and off. The horn will beep once and you will get a message on the center display "Train Left Front Tire". Go to the left front tire and let air out until the horn beeps once. This is usually around 30 lbs. Next go to the Right front and do the same thing, then Right rear and Left rear in that order. After you let the air out of each tire and it reaches around 30 lbs, the horn will beep once. When done, the display will read "Tire Training Complete". Turn off the ignition.

Just to make sure the car didn't not recognize which location the tires were in, I switched both front tires around to see if it knew where the tires were. I just got through swapping the front springs out on the car (I will post this in another thread tomorrow) and had not put the tires back on yet. I have 40 in one tire and 32 in the other. The car didn't recognize that I switched the tires.

On another note, I have in the past couple of weeks replaced the tires and wheels on the car a few times with new TPMS's in each set. They are not the OEM Ford TPMS's as I like the short metal stem once rather than rubber. I do not have to train the BCM to recognize the new sensors. As long as they are 315 MHz sensors, it automatically pairs them however you do have to train the BCM to recognize their location as I mentioned above.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.34.57 AM

So I've got one of these left over from my previous Mustang:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter 1618879492467

Which was used to train the tires with an identical process to that described above.
Any idea if this will still work on the TPMS sensors in the Mach-E?

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I've got one of these left over from my previous Mustang:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my new wheels for winter 1618879492467

Which was used to train the tires with an identical process to that described above.
Any idea if this will still work on the TPMS sensors in the Mach-E?
If it’s 315Mhz it will probably work to trigger the sensors. If not, you can always fall back to the process of letting some air out of the tires.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have one of those also but did not have to use it. I have run two different sets of non OEM 315 Mhz TPMS's and the car learned/paired to them right away. All I had to do was teach the system which tire was where.

THXDIAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VOLVO XC90 T8, MUSTANG GT CONV
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
I plan to keep the GTP OEM wheels during the MI winter. Simply change the 245/45R20 tires. Discount Tire lists four winter options. I like and will consider the Michelin X-Ice Snow and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 (run flat).