Got rear ended and I think our cars have magical powers.

adam_thedad

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select (Route 1 on Order)
Country flag
First off no one was hurt and thank god we weren’t sitting still when the guy rear ended us. Second it appears our cars have magical healing powers. (See pictures) while the punctures in the bottom plastic trim won’t heal (wonder how long it will take to get a replacement part) the huge dent under the pony on the rear hatch completely disappeared! All sensors and cameras seem to be working fine as well. Main question is, is there anything back there I should be worried about given damage locations? It appears everything is cosmetic at the moment.
Before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Got rear ended and I think our cars have magical powers. 084A6CDE-492D-47E6-8969-2CD59E48A785

After:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Got rear ended and I think our cars have magical powers. EFCC2774-77EF-4B2A-A58A-46D3A31433B8

OP
OP

adam_thedad

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Main question is, is there anything back there I should be worried about given damage locations?
Bumping this, as I actually do need some advice on what if anything I should worry about behind the damage

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
First off no one was hurt and thank god we weren’t sitting still when the guy rear ended us. Second it appears our cars have magical healing powers. (See pictures) while the punctures in the bottom plastic trim won’t heal (wonder how long it will take to get a replacement part) the huge dent under the pony on the rear hatch completely disappeared! All sensors and cameras seem to be working fine as well. Main question is, is there anything back there I should be worried about given damage locations? It appears everything is cosmetic at the moment.
Before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Got rear ended and I think our cars have magical powers. EFCC2774-77EF-4B2A-A58A-46D3A31433B8

After:
Had the same thing happen when a 14pt buck tried to jump over my 2012 Focus. Deer ended up on my roof...huge dent. Left for 2 weeks on a business trip and when I got home...poof, dent was gone.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Leaving it out in the sun the thermal expansion of the metal can cause it to pop back. Autobody shops know this trick and sometimes do it with a heat gun to pop back dents.

Dent is in the latch mechanism area, nothing else really there.

You're lucky it's still drivable for probably the month or so it will take to get replacments.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Have it double checked by the dealer to make sure everything is okay. Pretty sure there was another post where someone got rear ended and a few days later sensors stopped working.

Just remember, once you cash the check that is the settlement and removes all other parties for any faults even if something breaks weeks later.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I got rear ended also. Looked like some minor scratches on the bumper area. That material is really flexible. I would have been happy with some touch up paint. The repair shop said it would have been an easy fix except that there are radar sensors behind that bumper and one of them broke off it's bracket. It had to be replaced and It took 3 weeks to get the part. Then they had to send it to Ford to get calibrated. The result was about $2600 in damage.

So, there's a lot going on behind that plastic.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Got rear ended and I think our cars have magical powers. Screenshot 2021-10-12 071056

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Got rear ended and I think our cars have magical powers. Screenshot 2021-10-12 071056

After:
Your MME needs to have the rear bumper cover removed to check for damage that will not be visible otherwise, as others have alluded to. Do not settle with insurance until this has been done.

Aside from sensors, brackets, mounting clips, etc. there could be body wire harness weather pack connections that get crushed. Then, when it rains or you go through a car wash the compromised connection allows water in and you get all kinds of sensor errors/false warnings.

I know this from prior experience.

OP
OP

adam_thedad

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, going to take it to the body shop Thursday and see what happens.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Your MME needs to have the rear bumper cover removed to check for damage that will not be visible otherwise, as others have alluded to. Do not settle with insurance until this has been done.

Aside from sensors, brackets, mounting clips, etc. there could be body wire harness weather pack connections that get crushed. Then, when it rains or you go through a car wash the compromised connection allows water in and you get all kinds of sensor errors/false warnings.

I know this from prior experience.
The government made laws decades ago so that bumpers could take an impact without incurring a huge repair bill. Ironically, the result is that now the bumper doesn't get hurt in an impact but all of the items behind it get hurt. Now, we're back to where we were before the law went into place: A low speed impact to the bumper can cause thousands of dollars of damage.
Sponsored