Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I got rear ended yesterday on the highway during rush hour traffic by a mazda3 hatchback doing roughly 40 mph. First off everyone was okay and walked away without injury. Was going to update this thread with the process of getting it all fixed up after hearing horror stories of long wait times for parts.

It looks like my rear bumper took the brunt of the damage with some scratches and dings above it as well in the license plate area. The speaker box that plays the reverse chime was knocked out of place and was hanging, as well as one of the bumper tail lights. Everything else looked okay to my untrained eye. The car was throwing a parking assist fault, but no other error messages. Shifting into reverse the rear camera looked like it was totally fine. Trunk was still opening and closing nominally. So am hoping it won't be too bad of a fix, just gotta hope it's easier to get parts than it has been.

Some other notes. The car that hit us was doing a pretty decent speed and was completely totaled, front end was pretty much pancaked. My wife and I honestly barely felt it on the inside. Knew the mach e had a good crash rating, but I definitely believe it now given the circumstances.

The car is at the dealership body shop now, and I'll update as I get them.

20211028_171326.jpg

20211028_171207.jpg
That sux. The best news was no one got hurt.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Get... A... LAWYER!!

These cars are expensive as heck to fix, plus you will fight for pennies for diminished value. You were rear ended, just about anyone will pickup that for free. It will ensure you that your car gets fixed the way it should, you get every penny for diminished value, and you get a rental for the likely month(s) to come during the repairs. Not to mention, if you end up having any medical issues it will cover you there as well, typically with no money out of pocket.

So long as the other driver had insurance the lawyers go after their insurance and yours to make sure you get what you need. I used to feel bad about getting a layer because I did not want to ruin someone's life over a fender bender. That is not the way it works though, they just make these insurance companies pay out like they should be! Insurance companies do NOT have your best interest in value. That is why they try to cut you a check next day so you settle right away.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Get... A... LAWYER!!

These cars are expensive as heck to fix, plus you will fight for pennies for diminished value. You were rear ended, just about anyone will pickup that for free. It will ensure you that your car gets fixed the way it should, you get every penny for diminished value, and you get a rental for the likely month(s) to come during the repairs. Not to mention, if you end up having any medical issues it will cover you there as well, typically with no money out of pocket.

So long as the other driver had insurance the lawyers go after their insurance and yours to make sure you get what you need. I used to feel bad about getting a layer because I did not want to ruin someone's life over a fender bender. That is not the way it works though, they just make these insurance companies pay out like they should be! Insurance companies do NOT have your best interest in value. That is why they try to cut you a check next day so you settle right away.
Definitely no need for that unless he actually is injured. No lawyer is going to deal with insurance for you unless they get a nice little payoff from an injury with it. Diminished value you can handle on your own, just get your own appraisal.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The lawyer will get their money from the insurance companies. It’s the easiest money they can make with little to no effort at all. Not all law firms are ambulance chasers.

Insurance will not get you a rental unless it’s on your policy. Most policies are also pretty limited in time, and given todays world repairs are extended. Insurance also will give you the absolute lowest possible payout. You spend THOUSANDS of dollars in your life time to premiums. You might as well get what you are paying for, and the only way that happens is with legal help unfortunately.

I never realized how screwed up the insurance world was till I got into an accident. They are not your friends.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
The lawyer will get their money from the insurance companies. It’s the easiest money they can make with little to no effort at all. Not all law firms are ambulance chasers.

Insurance will not get you a rental unless it’s on your policy. Most policies are also pretty limited in time, and given todays world repairs are extended. Insurance also will give you the absolute lowest possible payout. You spend THOUSANDS of dollars in your life time to premiums. You might as well get what you are paying for, and the only way that happens is with legal help unfortunately.

I never realized how screwed up the insurance world was till I got into an accident. They are not your friends.
That's not how any of this works.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Definitely no need for that unless he actually is injured. No lawyer is going to deal with insurance for you unless they get a nice little payoff from an injury with it. Diminished value you can handle on your own, just get your own appraisal.
This is how it works.

Even when there's an injury they don't want to deal with property damage, and you generally don't need them to.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is how it works.

Even when there's an injury they don't want to deal with property damage, and you generally don't need them to.
Oh okay, guess my cases just never existed then. My mistake.

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was using 1 pedal driving. But we were stopped for a solid 3-4 seconds before we were hit. Exit lane on the highway that always backs up. Accidents just like ours all the time there.
I know I-pd is used quite a bit but it seems most rear enders in the Mach E occur with it in use. Don't know if a correlation exist but I always ask the question. I think the brake light remains 'on' even though the car is stopped until you begin accelerating again. However, if it does not then the approaching car may not recognize the stoppage until too late.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I’m glad everyone is ok.
That damage looks awful. Be sure the body shop is Ford EV certified
Love the screen name!
I would expect that there’s going to be internal damage that won’t be visible
Get... A... LAWYER!!

My company insurance paid a $175,000 settlement on a rear end collision no worse then this.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Black Mach E Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
First update:

Other party's insurance already claimed liability, which was unsurprising given the nature of the accident and that they admitted fault on scene to the police officer. They got me in a rental, but I had to explain to 3 different people that it is a crossover and not a normal two door mustang as they kept telling me a comparable sized card would be a mid sized sedan. Ended up in a nissian rouge, not quite what I wanted, but its good enough. Adjuster is supposed to check it out Monday, at which time I'll start diminished value claim.

The dealership's body shop manager called me, which was nice in itself. He said the parts situation has improved and said it should be a matter of weeks and not months on getting the car back. Hoping that's true. Forgot to ask about getting the glass recalls done while it's there, but will when we talk again.

Will continue to update as I hear more.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
First update:

Other party's insurance already claimed liability, which was unsurprising given the nature of the accident and that they admitted fault on scene to the police officer. They got me in a rental, but I had to explain to 3 different people that it is a crossover and not a normal two door mustang as they kept telling me a comparable sized card would be a mid sized sedan. Ended up in a nissian rouge, not quite what I wanted, but its good enough. Adjuster is supposed to check it out Monday, at which time I'll start diminished value claim.

The dealership's body shop manager called me, which was nice in itself. He said the parts situation has improved and said it should be a matter of weeks and not months on getting the car back. Hoping that's true. Forgot to ask about getting the glass recalls done while it's there, but will when we talk again.

Will continue to update as I hear more.
Please let us know the repair estimate? The battery frame may also be bent. Adjusters probably don't have much experience with EV's.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I know I-pd is used quite a bit but it seems most rear enders in the Mach E occur with it in use. Don't know if a correlation exist but I always ask the question. I think the brake light remains 'on' even though the car is stopped until you begin accelerating again. However, if it does not then the approaching car may not recognize the stoppage until too late.
I suppose that’s possible if people slow down differently as a result of 1PD, independent of what the brake light does. Like if people slow down too early or too late because they are getting used to 1PD and not quite adept at it and it surprises the driver behind them.

I’ve noticed something similar the last five or so years as adaptive cruise control has gotten more common. Specifically, in stop and go traffic where someone using adaptive cruise control sets something like four car length follow distance.

When people do this it surprises the drivers behind them - there is an expectation that a car will gently slow down while closing a gap with stopped traffic before coming to a stop right behind the nonmoving car. But with this max follow distance enabled, the car will unexpectedly aggressively slow down and stop far short of the car in front because the adaptive cruise control does not want to violate the max follow distance rule that has been set.

I find this makes a rear end collision much likelier and perhaps something similar might be happening with 1PD for some drivers if they are slowing down in a pattern that is unusual for other drivers on the road.
Sponsored