krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
WE could always use more pics! LOL mine is still on order!
I agree! More more more! lol
i wont see mines for another 5-6 months prolly!
Sponsored

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
Unless Ford's just being extremely conservative in the RPMs they're allowing on the GT, it seems like you're going to need additional gearing to get a high performance top end.
Specs seem to confirm that he GT has the same 9.05 final drive as all of the other Mach-E variants, so if it does have a lower maximum speed than they do, then indeed, an RPM limiter would seem to be the only explanation. I say this because I can't imagine that aerodynamics, weight, or other physical properties of the GT would somehow be different enough from the other models to result in a lower top speed than they are capable of.

To be clear, I'm talking absolute top speed here, not quarter mile top speed. I don't know if we know for sure yet what the true top maximum speed is for the GT because I don't know if it has been tested. But it might be a good place to start. I say that because unlike drag racing on a quarter mile track which requires proper technique and involves a whole host of variables that are hard to control, performing a top speed run is a simple matter of finding a nice long stretch of safe road (in Mexico, of course) opening it up, and observing the speed at which it stops accelerating.

GBGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
Walking out of the fitness center this morning and seeing it in the sunlight for the first time was an eye opener. It looked GREAT. It's been parked inside either at home, work or the dealership every time I've walked up to it from the outside before this morning. All the colors look good, but I'm really happy with the GB.
Awesome, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to getting mine soon!

OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
I say this because I can't imagine that aerodynamics, weight, or other physical properties of the GT would somehow be different enough from the other models to result in a lower top speed than they are capable of.
It's not lower.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grabber Blue GTPE arrived and first impressions jHk54auaCekP2YxiVV

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's not lower.
Okay, so that means they aren't limiting RPM, or least not in an absolute sense.

Of course that doesn't mean they aren't restricting RPM under some specific circumstances or otherwise limiting the motors' output. In fact, since we know these motors are capable of approximately 290hp each, they are presumably doing something to keep total system output at or near the advertised 480hp. Perhaps whatever means they use to accomplish this also has the (unintended?) side effect of crippling quarter mile performance,

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Okay, so that means they aren't limiting RPM, or least not in an absolute sense.

Of course that doesn't mean they aren't restricting RPM under some specific circumstances or otherwise limiting the motors' output. In fact, since we know these motors are capable of approximately 290hp each, they are presumably doing something to keep total system output at or near the advertised 480hp. Perhaps whatever means they use to accomplish this also has the (unintended?) side effect of crippling quarter mile performance,
Is RPM shown anywhere on the display? That would be cool to watch. :)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Specs seem to confirm that he GT has the same 9.05 final drive as all of the other Mach-E variants, so if it does have a lower maximum speed than they do, then indeed, an RPM limiter would seem to be the only explanation. I say this because I can't imagine that aerodynamics, weight, or other physical properties of the GT would somehow be different enough from the other models to result in a lower top speed than they are capable of.

To be clear, I'm talking absolute top speed here, not quarter mile top speed. I don't know if we know for sure yet what the true top maximum speed is for the GT because I don't know if it has been tested. But it might be a good place to start. I say that because unlike drag racing on a quarter mile track which requires proper technique and involves a whole host of variables that are hard to control, performing a top speed run is a simple matter of finding a nice long stretch of safe road (in Mexico, of course) opening it up, and observing the speed at which it stops accelerating.
There is an aerodynamic difference. The GT has a different nose than the other models. The nose has an abbreviated splitter and the equivalent of the “drag ducts” NASCAR uses on some tracks, so the nose might account for a small part of the trap speed issue. Not very sure there is more than a small contribution by the nose, given that the GT has much more rated power than the 4X. I’m still convinced there is something in software that is the lion’s share of the trap speed discrepancy.

OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
There is an aerodynamic difference. The GT has a different nose than the other models. The nose has an abbreviated splitter and the equivalent of the “drag ducts” NASCAR uses on some tracks, so the nose might account for a small part of the trap speed issue. Not very sure there is more than a small contribution by the nose, given that the GT has much more rated power than the 4X. I’m still convinced there is something in software that is the lion’s share of the trap speed discrepancy.
There's a lot of attention being paid to straight line acceleration, and I get it, it's a Mustang....or #not aMustang. I've had some time to start pushing the handling and it really handles incredibly well, especially for a 4500 lb vehicle on what I would consider to be skinny tires. It goes fast around sweeping turns effortlessly, and handles hard late braking into a corner really well. I'm really impressed with how stable it is under hard braking. To me it's more fun to be fast through the corners than in a straight line, but that's just me.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
There's a lot of attention being paid to straight line acceleration, and I get it, it's a Mustang....or #not aMustang. I've had some time to start pushing the handling and it really handles incredibly well, especially for a 4500 lb vehicle on what I would consider to be skinny tires. It goes fast around sweeping turns effortlessly, and handles hard late braking into a corner really well. I'm really impressed with how stable it is under hard braking. To me it's more fun to be fast through the corners than in a straight line, but that's just me.
Gah, finally someone gets it. Driving pleasure is far more than just a drag race

Jeebus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Laundry list
Country flag
Gah, finally someone gets it. Driving pleasure is far more than just a drag race
It's not that we don't get it. Hell, I own a Miata. It's that there's no good reason ford would release a performance variant of this vehicle that would get spanked by the mid model from 70-100.

I'm all for cars being fun in varying ways, but we can't have model Ys embarrassing us this bad either.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
It's not that we don't get it. Hell, I own a Miata. It's that there's no good reason ford would release a performance variant of this vehicle that would get spanked by the mid model from 70-100.

I'm all for cars being fun in varying ways, but we can't have model Ys embarrassing us this bad either.
That's all well and good. All I care about is MY enjoyment of the car. If it brings a smile to my face when I'm driving it, and I'm fairly certain this one will given the reviews from owners who already have it, then I couldn't care less about what someone else has. There will always be someone faster

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is an aerodynamic difference. The GT has a different nose than the other models.
Yeah, it's definitely different, no doubt. But like you, I just can't see it somehow being significantly aerodynamically worse enough (if indeed it is even worse at all) to account for such a noticeably lower trap speed.

I’m still convinced there is something in software that is the lion’s share of the trap speed discrepancy.
Me too.

I'm really curious about the GT powertrain software in general. Although I am just guessing, I don't think any of the other models would need to limit absolute power of the rear motor to the degree that the GT does (if indeed, any of the other models limit it at all), assuming they are genuinely restricting total GT system to power to something near the combined 480hp advertised spec. Just how this is accomplished with the GT would be interesting to understand better.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
The low trap speed on the other post is likely primarily due to lower soc, however I do still think the Y performance will outrun the GT due to having lower weight and pozsibly higher battery power output. The motors can't produce more combined hp than what the battery can supply.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Uhhhhh... Over 80 is a daily occurrence where I live. I can't believe you all are making excuses. This thing should not trap 5mph SLOWER than the non-GT variant.
And I can't believe you're taking only one of my comments and then saying I'm making excuses for the low 1/4 mile speed.
Sponsored