Great e-heat tip from YouTube (Nick Amstrong)

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I thought most HVAC intakes were at the base of the windshield, not at the front of the car, but it could definitely be that and make more sense as to why I didn't have this issue on my GTI.
yeah I dunno, it's the first car I've ever owned where I can smell the washer fluid and that made the most sense to me, unless the cabin filters are just two dryer sheets stapled together?
Sponsored

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
recirculating air does not draw fresh, cold, dry air from the outside (in winter). As the interior air continues to recirculate and heat, the dew point will quickly rise and match the ambient air temperature, resulting in air saturating with water vapor. In short, you’ll begin to see your windows fog up within minutes. It’s the reason why, without A/C use to extract the water content (which each passenger exhales), air recirculation is on a timer.

you may get a heat benefit, but soon you’ll either have to run the A/C or open the windows to defog your windshield.
So, I leave AC on all the time on all my cars (keeps the seals lubricated and reduces maintenance and repairs), since they all have temp settings. Still, the MME knows I have AC on and STILL opens the outside vent after 3 to 5 minutes and lets in a blast of cold outside air. Why even put a RECIRC button on if you are going to turn it off almost immediately at arbitrary times that have nothing to do with outside vs inside air temps? At least use an algorithm that has some basis in reality. I need to figure out a hack to disable the vent because there are very few areas I drive through that have "fresh" air outside. And, why waste all the battery energy to heat outside air all the time? I repeat from earlier posts: I have never had a fogged windshield in my 11 month old MME! Never. Not everyone lives within a few miles of Ford's Dearborn Vehicle Test Facility! I am sure they have fogged windows a lot.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
I would agree on this.
And @Ford if you’re listening - put the recirc button on the main screen so it’s easy to see and turn on/off with one touch. Plenty of room next to the HVAC icon or fit it below with the seat heaters and what not. One button, long press to lock for 30 min or so.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
recirculating air does not draw fresh, cold, dry air from the outside (in winter). As the interior air continues to recirculate and heat, the dew point will quickly rise and match the ambient air temperature, resulting in air saturating with water vapor. In short, you’ll begin to see your windows fog up within minutes. It’s the reason why, without A/C use to extract the water content (which each passenger exhales), air recirculation is on a timer.

you may get a heat benefit, but soon you’ll either have to run the A/C or open the windows to defog your windshield.
Not when the humidity is 10% and it’s bitterly cold and you’re the only person in your car. It would take a hell of a lot longer than a few minutes to start fogging up the car. Either way, give us the choice.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
So, I leave AC on all the time on all my cars (keeps the seals lubricated and reduces maintenance and repairs), since they all have temp settings. Still, the MME knows I have AC on and STILL opens the outside vent after 3 to 5 minutes and lets in a blast of cold outside air. Why even put a RECIRC button on if you are going to turn it off almost immediately at arbitrary times that have nothing to do with outside vs inside air temps? At least use an algorithm that has some basis in reality. I need to figure out a hack to disable the vent because there are very few areas I drive through that have "fresh" air outside. And, why waste all the battery energy to heat outside air all the time? I repeat from earlier posts: I have never had a fogged windshield in my 11 month old MME! Never. Not everyone lives within a few miles of Ford's Dearborn Vehicle Test Facility! I am sure they have fogged windows a lot.
Interesting how different people notice different things. In my ICE car, putting the HVAC to AUTO turns on A/C and recirc regardless of the outside or ambient temps. I cannot stand RECIRC and can immediately tell that "fresh clean" air is no longer coming in. When I turn off recirc it turns off the AUTO feature. So for me, the MME setting is great. Turn on recirc to get the car warm/cold and then give me "fresh" air.

What we need is more control of our own experiences. Or maybe its just a loss of control that subconsciously tells us we are not happy...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Took some measurements. Over 3 days, half hour drive 2x per day, I got some interesting results. Keep in mind, that currently, I can tell within seconds when the car decides to let in cold outside air and I turn the recirc back on. About half the time, the CO2 went up 3% or less (about 20 ppm out of 700 ppm), the other half CO2 went down the same amount. I see more variation during the day in my house measurements. I did not see "CO2 rising rapidly" at any time. There seemed to be a bit of a correlation with the rise times occurring in heavy freeway traffic but that also correlates with an altitude change of over 700 ft and travel from seashore to low mountains where I live. Not very scientific and I did not log the results. I did verify to my satisfaction that continuous RECIRC did not adversely affect air quality inside my car to any significant degree or consistency. What does not make much sense is @Ford Motor Company deciding to blast me with cold and bad outside air every few minutes and me having to fight the car for RECIRC control. It is a distraction while driving that is potentially more dangerous than tiny variations in cabin air quality!
I’m curious if you could take the same measurements with 5 people in the car.

Make sure to turn on the XM comedy channel so everyone is talking and laughing too.

Just trying to see if Ford actually has a point.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m curious if you could take the same measurements with 5 people in the car.

Make sure to turn on the XM comedy channel so everyone is talking and laughing too.

Just trying to see if Ford actually has a point.
I am rarely in the MME with passengers, but I remain open to the possibility. I have not read anything written by Ford about CO2 buildup inside the cabin - only seen that concern here expressed by Forum Members. (I believe that myth is an urban legend based on a story of an ICE vehicle where the passengers died of CO poisoning while trapped in a blizzard and let the car idle for hours.) I do believe Ford might have a point with respect to windshield fogging in Detroit where they do testing. And, that point probably applies to other locations that have climates where the windshield gets cold enough to condense moisture out of interior cabin air. However, I have owned many other cars where I set the RECIRC on 99% of the time and it stays on without the consequence of fogging - year after year. My issue is that I do not have a choice in the @Ford Motor Company MME: I must accept blasts of cold outside air - using more battery for heat - and the stench and health hazard of freeway air laden with exhaust fumes. And, yes, I have replaced my cabin air filter with a better one, but I can still smell the stench at times.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I am rarely in the MME with passengers, but I remain open to the possibility. I have not read anything written by Ford about CO2 buildup inside the cabin - only seen that concern here expressed by Forum Members. (I believe that myth is an urban legend based on a story of an ICE vehicle where the passengers died of CO poisoning while trapped in a blizzard and let the car idle for hours.) I do believe Ford might have a point with respect to windshield fogging in Detroit where they do testing. And, that point probably applies to other locations that have climates where the windshield gets cold enough to condense moisture out of interior cabin air. However, I have owned many other cars where I set the RECIRC on 99% of the time and it stays on without the consequence of fogging - year after year. My issue is that I do not have a choice in the @Ford Motor Company MME: I must accept blasts of cold outside air - using more battery for heat - and the stench and health hazard of freeway air laden with exhaust fumes. And, yes, I have replaced my cabin air filter with a better one, but I can still smell the stench at times.
I also would rather have full control of the recirc. And left it on in my old cars. I also installed the better filter yesterday.

I live in Florida where the humid air is outside of the car, not inside.

Just figured if you’re measuring co2 buildup, might as well do it with a car full of mouth breathers. ?

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Hate to complain because I do really like this vehicle but It is extremely dangerous to be looking down and going thru menus when you want to turn the recirc on. I am constantly doing this to keep from breathing fumes everyday and just about rear ended a guy who hit the brakes when I was looking down. Are we supposed to pull over every time we want the recirc on? I guess we are just supposed to breath all the things in from exhaust? Seems ironic that Ford has sold us a green car yet we have to breath in pollutants, due to their climate control system!

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Hate to complain because I do really like this vehicle but It is extremely dangerous to be looking down and going thru menus when you want to turn the recirc on. I am constantly doing this to keep from breathing fumes everyday and just about rear ended a guy who hit the brakes when I was looking down. Are we supposed to pull over every time we want the recirc on? I guess we are just supposed to breath all the things in from exhaust? Seems ironic that Ford has sold us a green car yet we have to breath in pollutants, due to their climate control system!
It's two clicks...and the buttons don't move. It's one more click than a dedicated recirc button.

MachTri

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang mach-e AWD
Country flag
We just took a trip from Maryland to South Carolina in my MME SE. 6pm - 4:30 am. Temps around 30F the whole way. 4 DC Fast charge stops. I kept my side at 60F, she had hers at 74F. Seat heaters and steering wheel heat were awesome. I packed blankets but she only used one when she napped. Recirculation Mode made a huge difference in warmth/range! It was very frustrating that it would switch off every time we stopped to charge. There was no fogging while it was on.

That said, I remember driving with a friend, years ago, that complained that her windshield always fogged up. I asked why she kept the Recirculation mode on. She asked "what's that"? It's easy to under estimate how much the typical driver pays attention to features of the car that can impact safety.

MachTri

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang mach-e AWD
Country flag
It's two clicks...and the buttons don't move. It's one more click than a dedicated recirc button.
@Twilloo I like to micro-manage the recirc also. Maybe Ford could switch out the "Max Defrost" Button that's always available, because it's a duplicate of the physical button on the other side of the steering wheel?

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
@Twilloo I like to micro-manage the recirc also. Maybe Ford could switch out the "Max Defrost" Button that's always available, because it's a duplicate of the physical button on the other side of the steering wheel?
I could live with that also

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I could live with that also
BTW I have never had a fogging problem in the mme or any other car and most other cars the recirc would stay on. I think the MB's are timed but most are not, at least the cars I have had.
Sponsored