Great e-heat tip from YouTube (Nick Amstrong)

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Any measurements to back up that claim, @Chudsaviet ? I have a meter that measures CO2 and I have seen values outside during the day of 400 to 500 ppm, inside our house it measures over 700 rising to over 800 ppm while cooking on our gas stove. 8 hour exposure standards cause concern at levels of 10,000 ppm. What do you think I will find if I take measurements inside a car after driving with outside vents closed for more than an hour? Less than 1,000 ppm. I get more physical symptoms breathing diesel exhaust on the freeway than I ever have in 50 years of driving with outside vents closed (easy to do if it is not a FORD). @Ford Motor Company - Please let me have control of my cabin environment!!!!
I will do the measurements. I have some CO2 sensors.
Sponsored

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
My wife refuses to drive the Mach E now. Most of her commute is on the freeway, with the bad air and diesel trucks. Outside air temp is above 50 F and yet the car opens the outside vents after a couple of minutes, letting in stench and fumes.
This doesn't help with the recirc temp problem, but if part of the problem is fumes and smell, then this Pureflow filter fits perfectly in the MachE and does a good job of filtering incoming air, much better than the dust-only filter the car comes with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y8J86BH/

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This doesn't help with the recirc temp problem, but if part of the problem is fumes and smell, then this Pureflow filter fits perfectly in the MachE and does a good job of filtering incoming air, much better than the dust-only filter the car comes with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y8J86BH/
I installed the Purflow, works far better than the original for sure. Not quite good enough, I am afraid. I am spoiled because I have driven with outside vents closed in every car I have driven in the last 50 years (except when driving in the mountains or along the sea shore).

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Recirc for cabin temperature and avoiding exhaust fumes is a must. Why @Ford Motor Company refuses to let owners keep it on at all times is one of those mildly infuriating things. Not enough to hate the car, but it detracts from the ownership experience.
Although I’ve not yet taken delivery, this is discouraging. I’ve always used recirc whenever behind a diesel or oil-burning ice, and either disable it or turn on the AC (with comfort temp set) to deal with any subsequent fogging. Why take these decisions out of drivers’ hands?

Clearly the MME was designed with consideration for a good balance of digital/analog controls, but they overreached with this. At least a software patch could remedy this—but will they?

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I agree this “feature” is dumb. Fogging is not a concern most of the time here. In the winter, outdoor humidity levels are low (10-20% RH inside the car at interior temp of 70F), and unless we get snow/ice, I rarely have to worry about fogging. My breathing doesn’t produce that much humidity. This is an overly complicated algorithm to solve a non existent problem.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Come on, what an invention!
Heating already warm air will give you warmer air, unbelievable!

Actually, keep in mind that CO2 will raise fast in a sealed vehicle, don't use recirculation for too long.
Do you have studies on this by chance? I don't think our vehicles can be considered "sealed" when there are external cabin vents (behind rear bumpers?)

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
this is such a frustrating thing to me since my other car (lexus) has recirculate on as DEFAULT. it very rarely switches to allow incoming fresh air.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I run the whole system in Auto at 22C with the seat in Auto and the steering wheel on.
So far its worked flawlessly from 10C to -45C keeping us warm in the car.
I never play with the recirc, and even in all my old ICE drivers, recirc was never used except for full AC on hot days. Car will fog everytime.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
The AC auto features and SW helping suck bad. Things like this make it a struggle for average consumers to adopt EV. My work around is crank temp to max heat, set fan to max, set recirculate. Normally this works pretty well and I crack everything down after a few minutes. The issue is I've had auto temps in the past and all I had to do was set the temp high and the car would crack and blast the fan and heat would come relatively quick, that just doesn't work on the MME and is just dumb.

Preheating MME in garage is great feature, but really I don't have set times I'm leaving so I'd have to adjust it every day a few hours in advance of leaving which is a PITA.

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 f350 CCD 7.3, GT500, Gen1 Raptor, 2021 MME R1
Country flag
I run the whole system in Auto at 22C with the seat in Auto and the steering wheel on.
So far its worked flawlessly from 10C to -45C keeping us warm in the car.
I never play with the recirc, and even in all my old ICE drivers, recirc was never used except for full AC on hot days. Car will fog everytime.
Curious what your build date is to see if maybe some of the heating issues are Job1 cars.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Curious what your build date is to see if maybe some of the heating issues are Job1 cars.
Everytime I go to the car, i mean to check the sticker.....
I received the car mid-November

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Great, let's compare!
Took some measurements. Over 3 days, half hour drive 2x per day, I got some interesting results. Keep in mind, that currently, I can tell within seconds when the car decides to let in cold outside air and I turn the recirc back on. About half the time, the CO2 went up 3% or less (about 20 ppm out of 700 ppm), the other half CO2 went down the same amount. I see more variation during the day in my house measurements. I did not see "CO2 rising rapidly" at any time. There seemed to be a bit of a correlation with the rise times occurring in heavy freeway traffic but that also correlates with an altitude change of over 700 ft and travel from seashore to low mountains where I live. Not very scientific and I did not log the results. I did verify to my satisfaction that continuous RECIRC did not adversely affect air quality inside my car to any significant degree or consistency. What does not make much sense is @Ford Motor Company deciding to blast me with cold and bad outside air every few minutes and me having to fight the car for RECIRC control. It is a distraction while driving that is potentially more dangerous than tiny variations in cabin air quality!

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
Unfortunately, it appears that it was intentional. But, hopefully, they will update the software at some point to make it a little less aggressive.

1641563714262.png
Well it definitely seems to lean towards shutting off quickly. There needs to be an Auto function and a lock function. If I’m driving through Newark, NJ, I don’t want that stank coming in the car. I’ll deal with fog. Come on Ford!