Grizzl-e Smart Charger

Macky21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I recently purchased and installed the non-smart variant - not sure what extra features the smart variant would get you since charging (start/stop, scheduling) can be managed from the FP app.

If you're going to buy a Grizzl-e, I recommend going with the non-smart variant.

908129E9-87C6-44FC-8FBD-146D458312EA.jpeg

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I recently purchased and installed the non-smart variant - not sure what extra features the smart variant would get you since charging (start/stop, scheduling) can be managed from the FP app.

If you're going to buy a Grizzl-e, I recommend going with the non-smart variant.
I already ordered the smart one as it was incremental cost over the dumb. I had seen mention of how FordPass is not exactly reliable in the charge stats and doesn't track usage and cost over time as well. So I was going to play with it and see if I can get cool stats or monthly usage/cost, etc. Hoping that Chargelab app works and can do some cool things

MadLaserist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD ER Space White
Country flag
I have the none smart Grizzl-e and very happy with the performance over the last 9 months. But I also use the Tronity app to track the charging and trip info. You can add the electric cost per charge site to Tronity so it will calculate the charging costs as well.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Like my Grizzl-E smart charger and would recommend the company. I knew, before I bought it, that the software features and 3rd party was "still in development". I am willing to wait for the improvement. I do echo others on the forum, getting it to connect can be an issue. It did take me a few tries before I got it set-up. The quality of the unit looks great. Looking inside of the panel, you can see that someone thought out the layout and did a great job of wiring, routing, etc. The only other complaint is the charging cord is a bit stiff since it was built for heavy use in the snow. However, I did my research and knew this before I bought the charger. I liked the warranty and the ability to increase the warranty to five year.

I really think purchasing a charger is "personal". If you want the least expensive unit, since "all it does is charge", then you can find a something that cost less. If you do not care about what you buy, since "all it does is charge", then you can find lots of units. I did some research and picked the Grizzle-E since it as built in North America (our neighbors to the north - Canada), has a great warranty, the reviews were good, the quality looks great, etc. I also called them before I purchased the unit and talked to their customer service team. I had a few questions and they were extremely friendly (image that, friendly Canadians :) ) as well as helpful. It came down to me personally liking the unit. Plenty of units out there to"personally" make others happy.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I got the Grizzl-e after seeing all the praise on forums and reviews, and I liked the cord thickness - that thing will not overheat or get severed or anything similar. I could have had free prime shipping with the black cord version but I opted for the uniqueness of the white cord that hopefully will be more aesthetically pleasing against our flat white ceilings and walls in the garage (and white car). Had to get direct from Grizzl-e for that but they bundle the holster with it.

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
It’s worthless, just save your money and get the “dumb” version.

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
Hmm. Well I'm going to follow this thread since mine should be arriving next week and I *thought* I'd get to use it to track charging usage at home over time.
Prepare to be disappointed. The app dose not give any useful information. It can’t even accurately track how many kilowatts the car is using, no amperage readouts or adjustability, and worst of all (for me anyways) NO Voltage readout.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Prepare to be disappointed. The app dose not give any useful information. It can’t even accurately track how many kilowatts the car is using, no amperage readouts or adjustability, and worst of all (for me anyways) NO Voltage readout.
Well, that's no fun! Is that the chargelab app or a different one?

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
OP
OP
BillPitman

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Watched a Mach-e Vlog video on the Autel Maxicharge 40amp….., bought same,
10% off,…. Should be here this Friday. Bill P

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
Watched a Mach-e Vlog video on the Autel Maxicharge 40amp….., bought same,
10% off,…. Should be here this Friday. Bill P
Update us on that pig.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, the ChargeLab. If you know of any others, let me know😝
I saw one video that mentioned the parent company (United Chargers) themselves created an app - called Smart EVSE. However, the reviews are 1.3⭐, yikes!

Then there is another one called AmpUp, rated 3.2⭐. For reference, ChargeLab is rated 2.5⭐.

Since my Grizzl-e Smart arrived today, but my Nema 14-50 outlet isn't being installed until Aug19, I may use my F150 as a generator and set the Grizzl-e to 24 Amp limit. At least I can test out the connectivity and apps. Obviously it is not efficient to use a generator to charge a car, I just want to see if the damn apps do anything, and test my unit.

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
I already ordered the smart one as it was incremental cost over the dumb. I had seen mention of how FordPass is not exactly reliable in the charge stats and doesn't track usage and cost over time as well. So I was going to play with it and see if I can get cool stats or monthly usage/cost, etc. Hoping that Chargelab app works and can do some cool things
Let us know if you can get it working!
Sponsored