David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
I saw one video that mentioned the parent company (United Chargers) themselves created an app - called Smart EVSE. However, the reviews are 1.3⭐, yikes!

Then there is another one called AmpUp, rated 3.2⭐. For reference, ChargeLab is rated 2.5⭐.

Since my Grizzl-e Smart arrived today, but my Nema 14-50 outlet isn't being installed until Aug19, I may use my F150 as a generator and set the Grizzl-e to 24 Amp limit. At least I can test out the connectivity and apps. Obviously it is not efficient to use a generator to charge a car, I just want to see if the damn apps do anything, and test my unit.

Thanks for the info, I’ll give the other apps a look.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BillPitman

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Update us on that pig.
Patrick, just bought one! Was going to buy a Grizzl-e Smart EVSE, but the “smart” features are a little suspect!
The Ford mobile charger appears to be poorly design, as it tends to throttle the charging amps when it gets a little warm…
Thanks for the timely review, Bill P

7/22/22 update
Just installed unit today,
packaging was exceptional.
Installation was fairly quick.
So far, love the app…., love being able to put in our exorbitantly high electric rate
I have scheduling & autostart turned off. Did a quick 1/2 hour charge, starting from the app. Rock steady at 7.2kw
I have the unit software limited to 32 amps. I am going to go in and mechanically adjust for a max of 32 amps.
Now need to make sure unit comes on, based on vehicle charge settings…..
Happy I saw this video, and more happy I purchased the unit & saved 10% ! Bill Pitman

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Here by popular demand is pictorial review of potential apps for the Grizzl-e Smart EVSE! I got this EVSE due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the dumb charger, the thickness of the cables and the build quality. I thought well if the dumb charger is that good, then the smart charger will be incredible!

TL;DR version: It isn't 😂

First since my Nema 14-50 outlet isn't installed yet, I needed a test bench. Had to use my Powerboost propower that is capable of 240V 30A only, so I had to configure the dip switches to 24A so my truck won't trip.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger 20220722_175046

Out of the box, the connection instructions tell you to use the Chargelab app to add it to your home wifi. That part was easy. There didn't seem to be anything else I could do with the app except set a schedule, so I thought ok more options will be available once I plug Mach-E-Auto in. I heard my propower turn on the ICE (which stayed on the entire time, no duty cycling) and here was the readout when capped to 24A on the grizz
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-181337_FordPass

2910kW per phase, versus theoretical 2880kW (120Vx24A) - not bad.

I tried messing with ANY setting in chargelab to get a different view, like current Amps or kW drawn, but this is literally the only view:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-181622_ChargeLab

Only a cumulative kWh on this charge. I guess the schedule is nice because I honestly can't tell if Fordpass schedule is working correctly or not.

Now for other apps, first is AmpUp, which I had high hopes for. It seems to want to be yet another public charger finder. BUT it seems to have the ability to add YOUR home Grizzl-e charger to the public network, set a price, hours, etc. It seems more like something a business would set up?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-181932_AmpU

I tried adding mine to the public network, made it cost $0, and shared it. Then I thought now I can use the app and maybe get some nice stats... NOPE! Doesn't show up on the public network at my address. LAME. On to the next app

Smart EVSE app is from Grizzl-e parent company so at least THAT should work, right?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-182818_Smart EVSE

Well you can't do anything until you register, and you can't register, it just gives a server error. No other options or menus. HORRIBLE.

Well there you have it! Basically I have a dumb charger with a schedule capability that is theoretically redundant to Fordpass. Speaking of Fordpass, here was my final report of the charge from my F150.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-183255_FordPass

5.82kW x 21/60 hrs = 2.04kWh in from truck
Car says it only added 4mi, which would only be about 2mi/kWh. I think there's rounding error due to the whole numbers, no way I lost 50% to efficiency.

Anyway, love the grizz hardware, hate the apps! If something comes out down the road I'll report back but until then get a dumb Grizzl-e...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-181944_AmpU

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-e Smart Charger Screenshot_20220722-183010_ChargeLab

nor3bo

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Prem 4X
Country flag
Have one and it works great. The "Smart Features" are minimal. However, I didn't have any issues adding it to the Chargepoint App and can view my unit fine.
Chargepoint, or ChargeLab? I also have one and have it connected to the ChargeLab app. It works fine, but there's really not much 'smart' in this app...

Otherwise it works great though

MrFlood

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Chargepoint, or ChargeLab? I also have one and have it connected to the ChargeLab app. It works fine, but there's really not much 'smart' in this app...

Otherwise it works great though
Sorry, my mistake. It's indeed ChargeLab.

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
Here by popular demand is pictorial review of potential apps for the Grizzl-e Smart EVSE! I got this EVSE due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the dumb charger, the thickness of the cables and the build quality. I thought well if the dumb charger is that good, then the smart charger will be incredible!

TL;DR version: It isn't 😂

First since my Nema 14-50 outlet isn't installed yet, I needed a test bench. Had to use my Powerboost propower that is capable of 240V 30A only, so I had to configure the dip switches to 24A so my truck won't trip.

Out of the box, the connection instructions tell you to use the Chargelab app to add it to your home wifi. That part was easy. There didn't seem to be anything else I could do with the app except set a schedule, so I thought ok more options will be available once I plug Mach-E-Auto in. I heard my propower turn on the ICE (which stayed on the entire time, no duty cycling) and here was the readout when capped to 24A on the grizz

2910kW per phase, versus theoretical 2880kW (120Vx24A) - not bad.

I tried messing with ANY setting in chargelab to get a different view, like current Amps or kW drawn, but this is literally the only view:

Only a cumulative kWh on this charge. I guess the schedule is nice because I honestly can't tell if Fordpass schedule is working correctly or not.

Now for other apps, first is AmpUp, which I had high hopes for. It seems to want to be yet another public charger finder. BUT it seems to have the ability to add YOUR home Grizzl-e charger to the public network, set a price, hours, etc. It seems more like something a business would set up?

I tried adding mine to the public network, made it cost $0, and shared it. Then I thought now I can use the app and maybe get some nice stats... NOPE! Doesn't show up on the public network at my address. LAME. On to the next app

Smart EVSE app is from Grizzl-e parent company so at least THAT should work, right?

Well you can't do anything until you register, and you can't register, it just gives a server error. No other options or menus. HORRIBLE.

Well there you have it! Basically I have a dumb charger with a schedule capability that is theoretically redundant to Fordpass. Speaking of Fordpass, here was my final report of the charge from my F150.

5.82kW x 21/60 hrs = 2.04kWh in from truck
Car says it only added 4mi, which would only be about 2mi/kWh. I think there's rounding error due to the whole numbers, no way I lost 50% to efficiency.

Anyway, love the grizz hardware, hate the apps! If something comes out down the road I'll report back but until then get a dumb Grizzl-e...

I’m glad to see I’m not just a dummy who couldn’t figure it out. I really wish they didn’t label 🏷 it as a “smart” charger.

Pregrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
I have the dumb Grizzl-e with Ford Pass. Works great for the technically-challenged dumb owner
Sponsored