Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Anyone install this at their house? Curious if it's worth the price. I have to wire a new panel and service line from the pole anyways, so tempted to have the extra service to run this done.

https://grizzl-e.com/products/grizzl-e-ultimate/?v=variant_01HVH120TCWA5HKCPN1A8KMSM0
Price isn’t out of line and you will be ready for your future Porsche. Or F-150 Lightning if it fits.

I don’t see any mention of load sharing but if you have a new panel and a two car garage I would make it sufficiently large for a second charger should you end up with two EVs. If you are limited to a 100A panel then I would get one that can share the load with a second charger.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I would avoid purchasing the 80A Grizzl-E. There is an electrical design flaw with the 80A charger that will cause dangerous operation and an electrical code violation if used at 80A. The wire terminals do not support a large enough wire size to handle 80A safety (max wire size is 4 AWG instead of 2 AWG). It seems their electrical engineers do not understated the National Electrical Code requirements for wire sizing and have undersigned the terminations.

I would stick with a 48/50A model, since any bigger will not charge the Mach-E faster.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Occupation
Manager

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I don't think the industry is going in this direction. Tesla and the Taycan have dropped their "dual AC onboard charger" option that could pull up to 80A for L2.
The number of people who would need or choose to charge at home at those speeds is not very many. There is no difference to cut the overnight charging time from ~10 hours to ~5 hours.

Now, if it was a new Grizzl-e duo that could split the 80A across two cables, then that starts to sound more interesting.
Price isn’t out of line and you will be ready for your future Porsche. Or F-150 Lightning if it fits.

I don’t see any mention of load sharing but if you have a new panel and a two car garage I would make it sufficiently large for a second charger should you end up with two EVs. If you are limited to a 100A panel then I would get one that can share the load with a second charger.
Have a Lightning, MME, Ford Pro charger at home. MME goes to 40A, Lightning 80A on the Pro charger.
In 2024, Ford has removed the dual onboard chargers from the Lightning, unless it's a fleet order. Max AC charging rate of 48amps. They have also ended their arrangement with SunRun. For those buying 2023s, the charger is now shipped in a different manner.

V2H is interesting. What's not interesting is the current cost of the hardware and installation. And, given the lower than expected demand for the Lightning, it's clear that Ford was premature in this area.

That said, they are working on V2G tests with at least two utility companies. It will come, but is many years away from mass adoption.

I would install the capability for the most I could afford, and then install a 48amp charger, ideally with load balancing capabilities.

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
i have the Grizzl-E Smart 40A Avalanche Edition for over a year outdoors and so far so good.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
These are neet but to hardwire a dedicated 100 amp circuit for a car that can only use 48 seems like a waste. I would get a good 48a charger and a 60a circuit like the ChargePoint, juicebox, empora, wallbox just to name a few.

An example if the factory 32a charger is used to charge 20-80% it would take 7H 42M
if you went for the 48a charger (the max the MME supports) 20-80% would take 5h 23M
Sponsored