Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo XC90 recharge, 2021 Mach e GTPE
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
I’m really hoping the GT suspension doesn’t disappoint. That’s the only only thing that really has me second-guessing my order...
I think it’s challenging to order a car like this without driving it and with so many unknowns. At $70,000, I’d like to know how it drives, rides and if i love it! I ordered it anyway.
Sponsored

DLatimer69

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Mazda CX-5
Country flag
Cyber Orange GTPE (switched from Shadow Black) with all the options. Signed the papers at the dealer today. Now for the long wait.

Last edited:

Fence

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GTP (Ordered), 2017 Ford F250
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Same here. It'll be my family's only car and I'm looking forward to road trips with it. GTPE with Magneride and 235mi range just isn't in the cards.

Does anyone have any guesses on how stiff the GT is going to ride on the conventional suspension? Anyone have a fossil Mustang GT as their daily driver and can speak about how it is over rough pavement?

The Tesla Model Y Performance is considered to have stiff suspension and I'm hoping the MME GT isn't any worse than the Tesla.

- I've driven the ICE GT with Magneride and another almost identical without Magneride. Comfort is a subjective thing but to me there was a pretty noticeable difference in the ride quality when "tooling around" it felt softer and another noticeable different when pushing the car and especially when cornering over rough ground.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
- I've driven the ICE GT with Magneride and another almost identical without Magneride. Comfort is a subjective thing but to me there was a pretty noticeable difference in the ride quality when "tooling around" it felt softer and another noticeable different when pushing the car and especially when cornering over rough ground.
Then why not offer this as an upgrade to all models? A track style performance suspension is one thing. A comfort and overall handling thing is another. So Ford thinks regular and GT base level people like bumpy rides? I don't get the marketing process. Let us choose to pay for what we like without having to be a track car driver. anyway . . .

Last edited:

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Magneride is black magic sorcery.

My dad has it in his Corvette C8 and that car is fantastic to drive. The touring mode is super soft and luxurious while the sport and track modes get quite aggressive and stiff.

The suspension in my 2011 GT500 was modified a good bit (lowered and stiffened) and while I enjoyed it, my wife couldn't stand it. That's not to say this is any kind of comparison, that was essentially a street legal, purpose-built drag car. I'm just highlighting that I have regularly driven and liked a very stiff suspension car. It was also dyno'd at 610 rwhp (tastefully modified) so it was a blast to drive. I no longer have it, unfortunately.

Since the MME is going to be her daily and my weekend toy, I wanted the best of both worlds. So GTPE was the easy decision.

Fence

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Then why not offer this as an upgrade to all models? A track style performance suspension is one thing. A comfort and overall handling thing is another. So Ford thinks regular and GT base level people like bumpy rides? I don't get the marketing process. Let us choose to pay for what we like without having to be a track car driver. anyway . . .
Probably because the Magneride at its "stiffest" where it would shine on the track would be far too stiff as a daily driver while a very soft ride on a GTPE (or Mustang GT with PP2) would be "too soft" for performance. The standard suspension on the Mustang GT is a compromise - Stiffer than a daily driver but softer than a track suspension. The only way to do that without Magneride is to switch out the shocks when "daily driving" and switch them out again when at the track.

If you are buying the GT, in a Mustang or other car, you are going to compromise ride quality for performance. The difference in the Mustang GT is that you currently CAN add Magneride for $1695 as an option on the GT and for $1995 on non-GT models.

That being said...its also like asking why can't you order a Mustang Eco-Boost with the Carbon Fiber Handling/Track Package.... You can certainly do it via aftermarket but I'm sure Ford (and other manufacturers) make certain options available ONLY with specific vehicle tiers...

Fence

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'd also add that having more hp and torque can cause an issue with softer suspension under launch or acceleration known as torque steer that happens more noticeably on FWD vehicles but can occur on RWD and AWD. The GT with more HP could be subject to torque steer so a stiffer shock might be a necessity.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The Model Y Performance gets knocked for its rough suspension. I'm hoping the MME GT is no worse than that since I'll have my family in the car.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The standard suspension on the Mustang GT is a compromise - Stiffer than a daily driver but softer than a track suspension.
Do we actually know that the regular GT has different suspension than the Premium? Where did it say that? If that's the case, I don't mind that at all, as I feel like the Premium could be a little bit tighter for my taste.

Fence

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Do we actually know that the regular GT has different suspension than the Premium? Where did it say that? If that's the case, I don't mind that at all, as I feel like the Premium could be a little bit tighter for my taste.
I don't know for sure but I suspect that is the case.

I've seen different shocks and springs used on Jeep Wranglers - a Wrangler X vs Sahara vs Rubicon uses different springs/shocks. The Rubicon were actually slightly stiffer springs and stiffer/longer shocks compared to all the non-Rubicon models.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Only reason I originally pre ordered the GT was due to magneride as it should allow comfort and sport when needed, but the only way to get that now is to take the performance edition that then makes changes I am really not happy about such as the major downgrade to a manual passenger seat, we are not talking race seats being used in the GTPE where that would make sense, so this just comes across to me as pure penny pinching considering the price point and if I want the 360 camera which also is very useful on such a slab sided vehicle you are then forced into the glass roof, which I am still very dubious over during the 100F+ summer heat.

I can understand bundling packages together where it can be tricky to separate them from a manufacturing perspective but WTF has a 360 camera got to do with a fixed glass roof, makes no sense seeing as you can pick them separate on the base GT, ford has really dropped the ball on the options packages on the GT IMO.

Xenotet

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Ford Focus ST, ‘21 Toyota Venza Ltd
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
Only reason I originally pre ordered the GT was due to magneride as it should allow comfort and sport when needed, but the only way to get that now is to take the performance edition that then makes changes I am really not happy about such as the major downgrade to a manual passenger seat, we are not talking race seats being used in the GTPE where that would make sense, so this just comes across to me as pure penny pinching considering the price point and if I want the 360 camera which also is very useful on such a slab sided vehicle you are then forced into the glass roof, which I am still very dubious over during the 100F+ summer heat.

I can understand bundling packages together where it can be tricky to separate them from a manufacturing perspective but WTF has a 360 camera got to do with a fixed glass roof, makes no sense seeing as you can pick them separate on the base GT, ford has really dropped the ball on the options packages on the GT IMO.
If you watch the GTPE B-Roll Video from the press release last week at about 5:30s it looks like the GTPE passenger seat actually has 8-way power controls. Now the question is to upgrade or not... will the bolstering be too harsh for daily driving and is it worth the steep price increase and range drop?

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
One option missing from the original post is “Decided not to order an MME”.
Unfortunately, after thinking it through last week and this weekend, I can’t justify the $70k for the GTPE with pano roof when I can get the Rivian launch edition in the same time frame.
I’ve enjoyed tracking this vehicle and being a part of this forum since I placed a reservation on day 1. Still hope to bum a test drive in the future, and I hope for this vehicle’s success. More EVs is good for everyone.
(Good news is the vast majority of you just got bumped up one spot as of 5 minutes ago!!)

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
If you watch the GTPE B-Roll Video from the press release last week at about 5:30s it looks like the GTPE passenger seat actually has 8-way power controls. Now the question is to upgrade or not... will the bolstering be too harsh for daily driving and is it worth the steep price increase and range drop?
It would be nice to get some confirmation on this, as info posted and the configurator states manual passenger seat for GTPE after all base spec euro cars come with a led projector, not led reflector like USA spec cars so for all I know that is the passenger seat for euro GT's.

Talking with my dealer on the phone last week and they are more than happy to refund my deposit if it turns up with a manual seat, I hate the way it drives etc so can easily walk away if I don't want it. Know doubt they will be rubbing hands with ADM glee in the process :( Will be seeing them later in the week to get various things in writing such as x-plan etc.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It would be nice to get some confirmation on this, as info posted and the configurator states manual passenger seat for GTPE after all base spec euro cars come with a led projector, not led reflector like USA spec cars so for all I know that is the passenger seat for euro GT's.

Talking with my dealer on the phone last week and they are more than happy to refund my deposit if it turns up with a manual seat, I hate the way it drives etc so can easily walk away if I don't want it. Know doubt they will be rubbing hands with ADM glee in the process :( Will be seeing them later in the week to get various things in writing such as x-plan etc.
Makes no sense why a dealer would put ADM on an online order and refuse X-Plan. As I understand it, online orders don't affect dealer allocations so it's no skin off the dealers nose if the online buyer wants X-plan. If the order falls through, the dealer keeps an extra car that's in-demand and they can sell it at invoice/MSRP or with a markup and it helps makes the dealer volumes look better.
Sponsored