billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
My area has hard water, so my (black) car frequently ends up with spots on it after hand washing in the driveway, even if I dry it quickly. It also happens if water from the sprinkler hits it.

Does anyone use any filters or accessories that you can put on a garden hose while washing a car that will soften the water (even just a little) for when I wash the car at home?
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
The best thing you can do is find an extremely hydrophobic wax or ceramic sealer and apply it. Don’t wash in the sun, always in shade and keep your car wet as you go around then immediately chamois, not towel dry

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The only way to solve this is to utilize a reverse osmosis system for a final rinse, but it's largely impractical.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The only way to solve this is to utilize a reverse osmosis system for a final rinse, but it's largely impractical.
You can also treat the water in a final rinse bucket then dry quickly.

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I should've said: the car has already been professionally ceramic coated. It does help, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

When I take the car to the hand car wash, it doesn't have this problem. They told me they use "diluted water" to prevent spots, but I can't do that at home.

I dry with a leaf blower, then with microfiber cloth.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Dionized water filter system. Not cheap.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I should've said: the car has already been professionally ceramic coated. It does help, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

When I take the car to the hand car wash, it doesn't have this problem. They told me they use "diluted water" to prevent spots, but I can't do that at home.

Diluted water? Is that like wet water? ?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm sure they are using what is called DI water aka deionized water. You can buy filter systems and such but they are $$$$ and the filters get dirty SUPER fast and they are SUPER expensive to replace.

Best advice.. Do it early in the morning, not in direct sun light, and move fast.

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag

I think that air drying may contribute to the problem. Have you tried using a drying towel only and not using the leaf blower? There are many good ones on the market but this one I've found is the besrt Dries the entire car. It’s amazing How much water this holds and just keeps on working.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/extra-...RMHcXuo3zIoTW4lKXuWJxK_Q8wEmrNdBoC3cAQAvD_BwE

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
My area has hard water, so my (black) car frequently ends up with spots on it after hand washing in the driveway, even if I dry it quickly.
Buy a white car...kidding.

Years ago there was a product on the market that worked very well for this. The Mr. Clean car washing system. You can still find them, but at scalper prices and the filters do not last long.

You could use a small water pump with a garden hose output to pump distilled water out of a 5-gal. bucket. I have used a garden sprayer with distilled or Zero Water filtered water to do the final rinse also. Don't laugh, it works.
Sponsored