Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Good plan. My mistake was assuming Ford wouldn't dare attempt updates to critical powertrain systems and reserve that sort of work for the dealership. Apparently I am sorely mistaken. :(
This surprises me because 1.7.1 I thought was just an upgrade to Sync 4. Issues happen but I believe they are the exception not the norm.

I guess I go the other way auto updates on and early access program member recall done, calibration update compleat.

I have had no issues. But I did buy a first generation vehicle I expect some problems.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think the drive issues you had after the 1.7.1 update were a coincidence. That update was just the APIM (sync) module, not any powertrain systems. That doesn’t mean there won’t be OTA updates to critical powertrain systems, but that particular update wasn’t.
It definately appears to be related. I started having symptoms immediately after the update downloaded at 9:38 on a Tuesday morning. It then spent the next two days attempting to install (or whatever happens in the time between when Sync and FordPass each report the update has been completed).

On Thursday morning the car was displaying the Stop Safely, battery discharged and most every other message in the book. I even captured it on video. When I got to the dealership and explained the symptoms to the service manager he immediately guessed that I had received an OTA. He said another customer had the same issue a few days before as well as their FCTP car (which they still had for some reason...??)

Looking at the freeze frame data, it looks like the installation process allowed the LVB to discharge enough to activate the module load shedding feature. Which makes sense now that I think about it because the initial error messages on Tuesday and Wednesday were related to cruise control and adaptive braking systems being inactive. Then the messages turned into 1PD and ABS errors and the brake pedal became very touchy. On Thursday when all hell broke loose, the brake pedal went half way to the floor and there was a pretty nasty noise in the rear drive unit when selecting Park.

All symptoms immediately went away when the dealer reset the codes and ran a Self Check of all affected modules. There were many modules throwing codes...not just the APIM.

If my symptoms are just a coincidence and not related to the OTA then I would expect the issue to reappear, which hasn't happened (yet). Only been 3000 miles though.

Kinda terrifying if my issue WASN'T related to the OTA because then that could mean it will happen again with no warning or apparent cause. ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This surprises me because 1.7.1 I thought was just an upgrade to Sync 4. Issues happen but I believe they are the exception not the norm.

I guess I go the other way auto updates on and early access program member recall done, calibration update compleat.

I have had no issues. But I did buy a first generation vehicle I expect some problems.
Yeah. Surprised me too. :(

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yeah. Surprised me too. :(
I doubt the two are related considering the update was not for the modules that caused your problem.

Our brains are hard wired to find correlations even if they don't exist.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I doubt the two are related considering the update was not for the modules that caused your problem.

Our brains are hard wired to find correlations even if they don't exist.
Perhaps.
Might just be a coincidence for me and several others that experienced similar issues. As far as I know, we all have been fine since.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I lost track if we were still associating 2.1.0 and 21P22, but I got 2.1.0 within the last 24hrs and I do not have 21P22

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
My dealer did not mention anything about the 2.1.0 OTA and them updating for 21P22, but the update happened sometime the day my dealer did the 21P22 update. It had installed when I picked my car up...

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
How to check for this (or any) OTA? Is it in FordPass app or in the car?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How to check for this (or any) OTA? Is it in FordPass app or in the car?
Both. In Fordpass it shows it as an "alert" on the main screen, and also if you drill into the car status view. In the car it shows a checkmark on the top of the screen near your profile icon, and also if you drill into the settings->updates menu. Most of the time it just says "you're up to date", but if you recently got an update you see some sparse information with update ID and generic release notes. There is no "history" button, and the "check for updates now" button seems to send messages to /dev/null.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Both. In Fordpass it shows it as an "alert" on the main screen, and also if you drill into the car status view. In the car it shows a checkmark on the top of the screen near your profile icon, and also if you drill into the settings->updates menu. Most of the time it just says "you're up to date", but if you recently got an update you see some sparse information with update ID and generic release notes. There is no "history" button, and the "check for updates now" button seems to send messages to /dev/null.
Mine successfully completed 1.7.1 and I got alerts in the FordPass app to that and the checkmark on the car, but it still says You're up to date without release notes. But everything works fine and all the new stuff is there and Sync version changed, so it's pretty inconsistent.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Mine successfully completed 1.7.1 and I got alerts in the FordPass app to that and the checkmark on the car, but it still says You're up to date without release notes. But everything works fine and all the new stuff is there and Sync version changed, so it's pretty inconsistent.
I actually had similar behavior with the 2.1.0 - FP showed the details but the car just showed "up to dat" as you said. And yes, there is a lot that is inconsistent in the software.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Changed my vote to received and I am not in EA program, my status just says Waitlisted. Looks like there’s only two votes like that so far, maybe more people will update cause it looks like it’s rolling out.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I just got it too. Non early access, and have not had job 1 customer satisfaction software updates done yet, either. Vote updated.
Sponsored