David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
There's a reason they are everywhere... I have a Tesla 3Performance that I did not buy for the speed, but for the handling (and charging) and I happen to think Franz von Holzhausen is a great designer. Also, if we're honest, the front/fake grill of the Mach e is very reminiscent of the early Tesla model s. Very.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
There's a reason they are everywhere... I have a Tesla 3Performance that I did not buy for the speed, but for the handling (and charging) and I happen to think Franz von Holzhausen is a great designer. Also, if we're honest, the front/fake grill of the Mach e is very reminiscent of the early Tesla model s. Very.
Nope really different not the same sorry. Maybe in your eyes but the shape of the circle and how much it is indented is different. That would be like saying well it has headlights or seats they are all the same. That would be like saying the kia, huyndi, and id4 are all the same as the mache since the design is all about the same.

Also note the handling in the model 3 long range vs performance is the same and charging. Performace gets bigger tires and is faster. Never heard someone say went performance and paid and paid a big chunk of change for the handling difference lol.

Again when aero is involved you either go against the grain or keep things simple for aero.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help me decide: Mach-E or Model Y 1634498323625

Ford Mustang Mach-E Help me decide: Mach-E or Model Y 1634498346238

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The Tesla Tap seems like a good idea but many of the L2 Tesla chargers are located in places like hotels/motels where you have to be a guest to use them. Makes it difficult to just pull off of I 95 to charge your car.
I have found them in many places that are not hotels plug and share shows that. Well worth the price if you get somewhere and chargers are down or not working.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
The Q4 is based on the new-ish MEB platformed shared by the ID.4 (I own one). You are taking a risk that you won't encounter the same first gen issues like the glitchy battery coolant pump (hardware or software). I'd wait for gen 2 to be honest.

And EA is just as randomly unreliable for other EVs. It mostly works for me with the NFC / iOs Wallet but some days it's trial and error and having to call customer support. At least I don't pay a dime for it (ID.4 owners get 3 free years).
Correct me if I am wrong but the Q4 doesn’t have a pano roof and real world range is lower than a MME isn’t it?

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
However much data driven you are, your decision will ultimately be subjective. We all try to rationalise our purchasing habits but in the end we are subjective.

coming to a particular vehicle’s forum may not help you much since the choir will be talking back to you.

Tesla was never on my radar because I have philosophical issues about the CEO, the MY looks like an egg on wheels and every 2nd BEV is a Tesla. There’s no unique thrill to owning it.

but that’s me. None of those points be relevant to you.

whichever vehicle you get, welcome to the BEV, doing-our-bit-for-the-planet club.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Correct me if I am wrong but the Q4 doesn’t have a pano roof and real world range is lower than a MME isn’t it?
Pano is standard in most trims (ID.4 it is missing only in the base Pro - Q4 is an upscale version of the ID.4). I forget what trims have the pano because I didn't dig in.

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/m...022/overview.mediathek_infolayer.MDEI3FU.html

The ID.4 RWD (the cheapest MEB based EV available in the US) has the largest range (270 EPA - real world might be higher?) but as soon as you add the pano roof, rack, and larger tires... the efficiency drops (First Edition, Pro S, etc.) and this will be the same for the Q4.

Q4/ID.4 only use a 82 kWh pack (with 77 usable) whereas the MME has a 98 kWh pack (with 88 kWh usable). The ID.4 carries extra weight due to the steel chassis and steel hood. The MME's extra weight is probably from the battery. Both are pretty heavy and could use weight loss for extra range. I know the Model Y will shed 400+ lbs soon with the new front and rear castings and 4860 batteries. ID.4 is a steel boat to me.

Last edited:

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vibedigital.marketing
Vehicles
'16 CMaxEnergi|'17 FocusElectric|'21 Mustang MachE
Occupation
Website Design, Development, and Digital Marketing
Country flag
So we spent a lot of time doing a lot of research. We even went so far to rent a Model Y for 2 weeks from Turo, and rented a Mach-E from Turo for 1 week. There is the gas credit, and all other things but I can boil it down to two options:
  • If you and your family are technology first people, always on the edge of the newest and greatest. You all will love the Model Y. The technology is superior in the Model Y.
  • However if you don’t fit in that niche the Mach-E is a better car. It is the most technologically advanced car outside of a Tesla that we have ever driven, and for every part of being a car the Mach-E is better. The fit and finish is better, the ride is better, the materials are better, it is quieter, it is a better car. The Tesla is a better computer

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
When you buy a Tesla you’re buying Elon Musk. I think the man is an idiot savant but if you trust him, which I think is a mistake, Tesla is your choice. I don’t.

Tesla is far in advance of Ford in the software area, which is a critical issue on EVs. I dislike the Tesla dashboard with nothing on it and having to use the screen to open the glove compartment I think is stupid. But on the other hand a lot of Ford’s software works only intermittently. There are also issues of the rebate and access to dealers. The latter is not always Ford’s strong point since many of them haven’t a clue about EVs and some of them are crooks. Finally if you need it quickly, go with Tesla. I don’t expect my 10.1 2021 Mach E order to be available until April 2022.
Just a clarification, you can also open the glovebox with a voice command (Open Glovebox), not that it matters for this discussion.

Drive each car and pick what you like. We all should have and support others choices. Kinda why I'm on this forum and appreciate others letting me hang around.

#EVOwnersUnited

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla uses a lot of voice commands to bypass the screen.
"Open glovebox"
"It's too hot"
"It's too cold"
"My butt is cold" (turn on seat warmers)
"Open charge port"
"Turn on wipers"
Etc
Whole list crowd sourced from Tesla owners here (if anybody cares)

https://teslavoice.glideapp.io

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
One thing I didn't see mentioned yet.
Since the OP lives in SF bay area where Teslas are as common as Corollas few years ago, uniqueness can be a factor for some. Believe it or not, I've only seen one Mach-e driving on the road so far while I see at least 3-5 Teslas every time I drive! A lot more on 30mins+ drives.

If I were buying an EV here and comparing between otherwise similar cars, I'd be buying something a little bit more unique, with some character. But that's just my weighting system. There are obviously many who want to blend in.

As for the delivery date: A big factor will be the chip supply. Ford has already met initial pent-up demand for Mach-e and production volume has been increased also. It "should" improve supply soon.
I actually did comment on this as a point in favor of the Mach-E. Throw a rock in this area and you’re likely to hit a Tesla. (And almost certainly chip the paint.) I’ve seen exactly two Mach-Es on the road so far, and one belongs to the guy across the street. I guess one positive for Tesla in the heart of Silicon Valley is that there are plenty of service centers if I have issues. I know that isn’t true everywhere in the country. Still, it isn’t uncommon for me to pull up at an intersection and be surrounded by Teslas. It really does take away from the novelty. Then again, I also have an iPhone and it doesn’t take away from my satisfaction when everyone else does too.

I hope you’re right about delivery dates getting better. The Tesla order says it will be here Feb 19-Mar 19. The Ford will hopefully show up around the same time. If the Ford is still a month off from delivery and I can still get the tax credit, I’ll probably hold out. But if I still don’t have a production date by that time, I’ll probably wind up with the Tesla. Fingers crossed…

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is likely to happen, you pull up to the super chargers and there are 10 other cars identical to yours waiting in line in front of you to charge. Last year Tesla delivered over 500,000 cars. How many super chargers are there? You can tell Elon is worried about this too.
Personally, I've only had to wait about 15 minutes during holiday peaks only a few times.

Here's some up to date data to consider I pulled today:

Number of new US supercharger stalls (mostly new locations) built and online just in 2021: 2,116

Number of US supercharger locations: 1,307

Source: https://supercharge.info/data
https://supercharge.info/charts

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
I thought this was an interesting video. This guy reviews these two cars purely on the aesthetics of the external body design. He is a Model 3 owner, but (spoiler) ends up choosing the Mach-E GT as the winner in this beauty pageant.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Also, if you think you'll want a factory-approved roof rack, you'll have to go with the MY. Tesla has a pretty clever roof rack for the 3/Y.

noname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache
Country flag
I do not recommend RWD, tires are very skinny and it slide, otherwise I have no opinion.
Sponsored