OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
Is Best Buy doing the install? Just curious as the ones here in SoCal won't do EV's the last time I asked.

Rexing makes some pretty good cameras. I've used their wedge cameras in my last two cars. First one did end up failing on me after about 3 years. It still recorded and such, but the capacitor went out and the way I had it wired my auto start/stop would power down the camera because its battery was no longer good.

I bought another Rexing to replace it, used the same cable and even the same mount which was a big plus. I installed it into my F150 and when I sold it I took it out, still have it sitting here on my desk. Its the Rexing V1-4K which was nothing too fancy but worked. For the MME though I want to get at least a 2ch system.

I'll end up putting the Rexing in my wife's car, although any accident she will get in will more than likely be her fault lol

I need to just buy one for the MME.. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket, I just don't want to mess with installing the 2nd channel in the back... If Best Buy will install it, then I might go that route if they will install the battery bank.
Yes, B-Buy is doing the install
Sponsored

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
Would like to buy something with the following features:

- 4k dash, interior and rear cam
- Parking sensor
- Hardwired to the car
- Budget $4-500
- Preferably sold by BestBuy so that they can install it for me

Thoughts?
I probably would go with a mini2 and a garmin in/out for the front. I’d consider just forgoing the interior cam though, that’s really mostly for rideshare drivers. The mini2 garmin can be linked via the app.

OP
OP

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I probably would go with a mini2 and a garmin in/out for the front. I’d consider just forgoing the interior cam though, that’s really mostly for rideshare drivers. The mini2 garmin can be linked via the app.
the cabin camera is just a $40 add-on, so I took it

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Am I wrong in saying none of these cameras wifi features will work if you use CarPlay? You will be stuck with pulling the card out of the camera if you need to pull footage
Some of the higher end models have the ability via their own app to download wirelessly (rather than physically removing the card). Others can remotely playback but you must have a SIM card or the car must have an active hotspot (internet accessible). I don't know of any that specifically work with Carplay but I haven't explored all the options.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select (lease ended) Now 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Some of the higher end models have the ability via their own app to download wirelessly (rather than physically removing the card). Others can remotely playback but you must have a SIM card or the car must have an active hotspot (internet accessible). I don't know of any that specifically work with Carplay but I haven't explored all the options.
Correct, they work over wifi and have to establish a connection with your phone to connect the app. Wireless CarPlay makes a connection to your phone as well and if you try to switch your wifi network over to the dash cam the CarPlay WiFi will retake your phone in seconds. They only way to get out of removing the card to retrieve video is to ditch wireless CarPlay all together unless someone on here knows a work a round and can give advise.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
According to their site, that camera is on Pre Order up till Nov 30th, so I doubt anyone has used it.

Camera looks pretty large, I personally won't use an obvious camera. Keep in mind, if you are in an accident and someone sees you have a camera they can request the video. Also in CA the police can take the video if they feel you will modify/delete the video to try and cover up an at fault accident.
This.

anyone have recommendations for a more discreet version? I don’t need an LCD to view, I can view on app/computer with as reader

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
This.

anyone have recommendations for a more discreet version? I don’t need an LCD to view, I can view on app/computer with as reader
On the mirror?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help me pick a dash cam dashcam_sm

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
anyone have recommendations for a more discreet version?
Depends on your price range and your needs.. The Thinkware U1000 is a wedge designed and pretty thin profiled.

If you want something "cheep" then you can go with something like the Rexing V1 4K.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help me pick a dash cam 1637273977815

Or if you want 2Ch on the cheep you could try to Rexing V1P 4K.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help me pick a dash cam 1637274068665

As you can see, I've owned both of those cameras. The V1P lasted me 3 years before the capacitor went bad. "Technically" it would still work if I re wired it to a different fuse as my truck had auto start/stop, but I did not want to mess with it lol While both of these do have screens, they are both wedge designed and not very noticeable at all. I was very happy with both cameras which is an added reason as to why I've not purchased the U1000... These two did pretty much everything I "needed" them to do, where the U1000 does everything I "want" it to do lol

The Thinkware or these two cameras I don't think you would notice in a car unless you were really looking for it. I personally think I'm going to buy the U1000, I'm just having a problem pushing the buy button at a $900 price tag after having all the stuff I want for it lol

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
The Ford dashcam is made by Thinkware (it is the F200 model) and does have a Sync4 interface. The cam is $329 (front and rear) and you can purchase installation as a package at the Ford Store. https://accessories.ford.com/products/dashcam-rear-facing-camera-bundle-2
I believe installation can vary by location but, for me, it is listed as $200. It may be worth considering as an option.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depends on your price range and your needs.. The Thinkware U1000 is a wedge designed and pretty thin profiled.

If you want something "cheep" then you can go with something like the Rexing V1 4K.

Or if you want 2Ch on the cheep you could try to Rexing V1P 4K.

As you can see, I've owned both of those cameras. The V1P lasted me 3 years before the capacitor went bad. "Technically" it would still work if I re wired it to a different fuse as my truck had auto start/stop, but I did not want to mess with it lol While both of these do have screens, they are both wedge designed and not very noticeable at all. I was very happy with both cameras which is an added reason as to why I've not purchased the U1000... These two did pretty much everything I "needed" them to do, where the U1000 does everything I "want" it to do lol

The Thinkware or these two cameras I don't think you would notice in a car unless you were really looking for it. I personally think I'm going to buy the U1000, I'm just having a problem pushing the buy button at a $900 price tag after having all the stuff I want for it lol
Thanks for the recs, interested what the u1000 has that you want it over the others for?
Initially I thought picture quality so you can read plates of offending drivers but tbh, I’m not sure I see the need. Insurance will pay out on a hit and run and a non hit and run you’ll swap license details.
What am I missing?

I wouldn’t want to spend more than $400 including everything.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The Ford dashcam is made by Thinkware (it is the F200 model) and does have a Sync4 interface. The cam is $329 (front and rear) and you can purchase installation as a package at the Ford Store. https://accessories.ford.com/products/dashcam-rear-facing-camera-bundle-2
I believe installation can vary by location but, for me, it is listed as $200. It may be worth considering as an option.

I see this for $199 on a third party site.

I was curious, with EVs having such a large battery, why do these cams have battery packs/etc? Are internal electronics still forced to use the 12V?

Another brand I saw was BlackVue which seems to have quicker/smoother video if you want to monitor your car while you're out in real time. Cost starts going up a lot sadly once you get into battery packs, LTE, etc...But sorta cool that it's like monitoring your house.

MustThee?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach Premium E
I ordered this bundle through ford and what I got is Thinkware DC-M1-FG which seems to be the Canadian version of Thinkware F200. yes it could have been cheaper elsewhere but I wanted the install through ford dealer. But my main point being, it does not have any sync4 interface. Everything through the mobile app.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Insurance will pay out on a hit and run and a non hit and run you’ll swap license details.
What am I missing?
Video rules when having to deal with insurance companies, your fault or not. Some states assign fault percentage to both parties, a cameras can help ensure you get the least amount of fault assigned to you as possible (given you were not at fault). It also removes the He Said, She Said debate which will help assign fault in an accident.

Also, you have to look at the larger picture. Lets say you are driving and merging to get onto the 125 South, taking your kids to the Dr for example.. As you merge on something comes off a truck and strikes your car. Without a camera its VERY difficult to make that company take responsibility. In my case I called, did not say I had it on video, "oh sir well we will have to call and see if the driver was in that area and do an investigation" blah blah. The SECOND I told them I had it on video, "get a quote and send it to us". lol

Quote I had done was just shy of $1,000. It put a HUGE dent in my F150 engine guard. Had the same situation happened in the MME, ooooh my, it would had been THOUSANDS of dollars. It would had destroyed the front end, if it got under the car would had jacked the battery. Sure I could had placed an insurance claim, but once again you have to go through that battle. Much easier to just go after the company that was negligent.

I was curious, with EVs having such a large battery, why do these cams have battery packs/etc? Are internal electronics still forced to use the 12V?
Yes, all your accessories are powered off the 12v (LVB) which is why having a low 12v battery will make your car have a really bad day. Another reason why I'm going with the battery pack install.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Video rules when having to deal with insurance companies, your fault or not. Some states assign fault percentage to both parties, a cameras can help ensure you get the least amount of fault assigned to you as possible (given you were not at fault). It also removes the He Said, She Said debate which will help assign fault in an accident.

Also, you have to look at the larger picture. Lets say you are driving and merging to get onto the 125 South, taking your kids to the Dr for example.. As you merge on something comes off a truck and strikes your car. Without a camera its VERY difficult to make that company take responsibility. In my case I called, did not say I had it on video, "oh sir well we will have to call and see if the driver was in that area and do an investigation" blah blah. The SECOND I told them I had it on video, "get a quote and send it to us". lol

Quote I had done was just shy of $1,000. It put a HUGE dent in my F150 engine guard. Had the same situation happened in the MME, ooooh my, it would had been THOUSANDS of dollars. It would had destroyed the front end, if it got under the car would had jacked the battery. Sure I could had placed an insurance claim, but once again you have to go through that battle. Much easier to just go after the company that was negligent.

Yes, all your accessories are powered off the 12v (LVB) which is why having a low 12v battery will make your car have a really bad day. Another reason why I'm going with the battery pack install.
Sorry but you totally missed my point. I wasn’t arguing the usefulness of dash cams. If you look at the preceding sentence it may clarify I was questioning the need for 4K video over 1080p since you don’t need to read license plates in either scenario.

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Yeah, they have to run off the 12V battery. You're hoping the HVM is keeping it charged up, but...
Sponsored