HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!]

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'll definitely report back tomorrow if the dealer is able to fix it.

I did get to drive it for a while, and I played around with some options. I was really hoping to get to do a deep-dive overnight of all the settings and functions, but oh well. Save something for the wedding night, ya know?

This was my first time driving the Premium and I really enjoyed it. Just recently I also test drove a Select AWD, and while it's the same vehicle, the difference in trim level from the Select to the Premium, the driving characteristics, and the glass roof all make a world of difference. I actually didn't like the Select when I test drove it as it felt too basic and underwhelming, but I REALLY like the interior feel of the Premium. The seat material is much better (imo) in the Premium. The glass roof just changes the entire feel of the vehicle. And although I'm sure it's all in my head, the feel of driving the Premium was just...smoother, more responsive, faster.

I really really like this car.
Sort of off topic, but thanks for this, we haven’t seen too many people offer their thoughts on differences between trims.

In what way were the driving characteristics different?

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Sort of off topic, but thanks for this, we haven’t seen too many people offer their thoughts on differences between trims.

In what way were the driving characteristics different?
Absolutely! I'm very fortunate that in the same week dealers near me got both Select and Premium versions to try out!

I have to admit that I think a lot of the driving characteristic differences are probably in my head. But the Select felt a little bumpier and just not as smooth. It also didn't feel as fast overall, but I wasn't maxing out speed in either model so I doubt that there was any difference. Also, I drove them in completely different areas, so I mean of course it would be different experience.

I think the interior feel differences were definitely also contributing to not liking the Select experience as much. Even though I think the Premium trim is much better, the Select was still really nice. I just really prefer the look of the seat material in the Premium and that glass roof is just amazing.

I will say the Select had that EV feel of instant power transfer and pushing you back into your seat. It was snowing here, and even though it was the AWD version it actually spun out a little bit in the snow when floored (but recovered very well and overall was actually kind of fun).

Also the Select had the tech package (or one of the packages) so it had adaptive cruise control, and it worked really well.

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Do you have an EVSE?
If so, I would plug it in.
So, long story yes and no. I did dig the cable that comes with the MME out though and plugged it into a normal outlet. Maybe just to prevent the battery from draining anymore overnight.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So, long story yes and no. I did dig the cable that comes with the MME out though and plugged it into a normal outlet. Maybe just to prevent the battery from draining anymore overnight.
Perfect. Might all function normally in the morning. Then the dealer can check for codes and figure out what caused the issue.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Yeah I think (hope...pray) the screen itself is fine. I didn't do anything to cause it to break or freeze
Even if somehow you did (which I doubt). It would still be Ford's responsibility to get this fixed within warranty period. No way this is a normal thing.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Here are pics of what it looks like black, and then in reverse with the backup cam functioning. (It's very red because it's in my garage with the door down.)

20210205_234123.jpg

20210205_234130.jpg
Interesting! Given that the screen still shows the backup camera as is probably required by law, I'm guessing the screen went into some kind of overheat protection like others noted. Wait till morning, and if it's still black, then just disconnect the 12v and wait a minute, and then reconnect it.

Or just bring it back to the dealer and they'll probably do the same. But I'd be curious to know if the 12v disconnect fixes it.

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Interesting! Given that the screen still shows the backup camera as is probably required by law, I'm guessing the screen went into some kind of overheat protection like others noted. Wait till morning, and if it's still black, then just disconnect the 12v and wait a minute, and then reconnect it.

Or just bring it back to the dealer and they'll probably do the same. But I'd be curious to know if the 12v disconnect fixes it.
The thing is, it's like -8° in IL right now (granted, it's not that cold in my garage, but it's still bloody cold) so I have a hard time believing it overheated...

So, dumb question, but where do I disconnect the 12V battery? Do I have to do some complicated pulling apart of the vehicle to get to it?

Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
The thing is, it's like -8° in IL right now (granted, it's not that cold in my garage, but it's still bloody cold) so I have a hard time believing it overheated...

So, dumb question, but where do I disconnect the 12V battery? Do I have to do some complicated pulling apart of the vehicle to get to it?
It's in the trunk, but you'd have to remove the covers. I'd let the dealer deal with it before I did that.

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
It's in the trunk, but you'd have to remove the covers. I'd let the dealer deal with it before I did that.
Thanks! And yeah, I think I will just leave it to the dealer.

Also, I've been watching every video I can find on YouTube about the Mach E and I watched the video you made with your wife! I really enjoyed it!

You guys are still waiting to get your test MME, right? I hope you guys like it!

I thought it was really interesting hearing about EVs, 1PD, etc. from an accessibility standpoint. I had never thought of that before, but it makes total sense that EVs might be more accessible to drive. I hope it works out for you and your wife!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Dumb question, but did you try pressing the screen inside the volume knob? I believe that is supposed to be the "on/off button" for either the screen or the radio - not sure which. I saw one video a long time ago and I think that's what they said.

Last edited:

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
Dumb question, but did you try pressing the screen inside the volume knob? I believe that is supposed to be the "on/off button" for either the screen or the radio - not sure which. I saw one video a long time ago and I think that's what they said.
I'm wondering the same thing. I know you can black out Sync 3 screens with a button press. And the fact that the reverse and 360 cameras continue to work normally obviously shows the screen itself is physically fine. And I'd further expect that even when intentionally turned off, the screen would still have to display reverse/360 cameras when R is engaged for safety reasons.

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
Not a great way to experience... I wonder the dealer will do something to fix?
The best way to reset the Sync screen on Ford vehicles is to disconnect the negative terminal on the 12v battery for 15 seconds

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Genuine thank you to everyone in this thread helping me problem solve!

Just as an FYI the car seems to have remembered the last settings, so the seat warmer, steering wheel heater, all come on. The last driving mode I was in was Unbridled, and it seems to have changed to Engaged (or some other mode). And the car still operates. I thought maybe driving it around the block would "wake up" the screen but to no avail.

It's parked in my garage now, and it's getting late so I may leave it over night and then troubleshoot with the fuse/battery tomorrow morning. More than likely I'm just going to take it back to the Dealer and hopefully they can fix it and I can take it out again and actually play around with it!!!!
Ford, are you seeing this? The rest of us are.
Sponsored