High-pitched "Electrical Whine"

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yeah CRT monitors snd TVs had that high pitched “hum” or “whistle.” Rather annoying I thought though most people didn’t hear it or notice.
That type of noise?
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
You mean the IR lights on the hands-free driving cameras? Certainly could be something in there. .
I'm pretty sure that is where it is coming from. Whatever it's doing may produce a very high frequency. I think someone else on this forum might have mentioned the noise too. Being that you can also see the blinbking lights via a video camera, I also hope that something like polarized sunglasses don't make that blinking visible.

Reactions: ARK

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Oh boy - hope it's an isolated and correctable issue. As a musician I am very sensitive to sound and a constant background high pitch would drive me nuts. Please keep us posted and maybe we could create a simple yes/no survey that other new owners can reply to and see if others are experiencing it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I also hope that something like polarized sunglasses don't make that blinking visible.
No they will not. Infrared passes through polarized lenses. It’s one of the reasons it was chosen for the attention detector. You need to do a bit more work to see infrared than a pair of polarized Ray Bans.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
I haven’t noticed this at all with mine. Might want to take it in

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Oh yea - definitely the little instrument cluster screen. It goes away when that times out and turns off (by getting in the car with the key and it "wakes up", but if you don't turn the car on it'll time out and turn off).

Here's a video where even played back I can clearly hear it... You may need to turn your volume up.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Pop the frunk and see if it you can hear it from under the hood. My guess is a bad or loose mounting on a cooling pump.

My boat has a Bosch cooling pump on the heat exchanger. Can not hear it above the motor but if you turn on the ignition and do not fire the motor it has a distinct hum/ buzz.

Edit for video addition.

OK, listening to the video I now vote for bad power supply capacitor in the display.

Last edited:

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I certainly hope it isn't there on mine. I bought a Chevrolet once that had a constant sound like that and I took it back and got a refund. The dealer said they all made that sound, so I could not just exchange the car.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I'm very sensitive to a particular kind of electrical whine: those from USB chargers (not all USB chargers, but many do under certain conditions).

I don't listen to music (or anything) in cars. And I'm not going to start now.

My Mach E will arrive within 2 weeks. If I hear electrical whine, it would be a major concern to me. I may give up on Mach E if it's bad enough. OP's post worries me.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Oh yea - definitely the little instrument cluster screen. It goes away when that times out and turns off (by getting in the car with the key and it "wakes up", but if you don't turn the car on it'll time out and turn off).

Here's a video where even played back I can clearly hear it... You may need to turn your volume up.
Oh my... That is unpleasant.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag

Did you see a roadshow car or do another test drive? Did you hear it another mach e?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

Any chance your dealer has another Mach-E on the property yet? If their other Mach-Es don't make that noise, have them replace the screen? I definitely couldn't live with that.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag

Ouch! I hear it loud(!) and clear. Definitely annoying and not normal / acceptable.
Sponsored